Root Ranger.. Im not impressed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Ranger.. Im not impressed

I just got my kj 3000 last month and it works great on 4 pvc greese lines. But I just had a call with roots 50 feet down 4 pvc and it took me 2 hours to clean about 90% of the roots I could not get the roots on top of pipe good.I had my camara down the line at the same time to see my work . I dont get it the root ranger has no moving parts. Why all the good reviews for $350 it did not seem that good I think the old ball and chain might still work best.
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Root Ranger.. Im not impressed

With the root ranger you have to twist the line to get the top of the pipe. And the root ranger is a mean 0 degree nozzle. Are you sure you are getting a full 3000psi out of your machine? Any rust particles on your inlet screen?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

it actually does have moving internal parts.

if you read over my reviews and others, you will see that the root ranger requires you to rotate the hose in order to get the jet to the top of the pipe. the design and weight balance keeps the jet towards the bottom of the line.

the hose rotation will allow you to get to the top and shred the roots.

between the root ranger and warthog. the impact of the root ranger is much more substantial than that of the warthog. plus it's 50% of the cost.

yes it does require getting use to, but remember that at 3000# and 4 gpm, no other nozzle will perform like a root ranger.

understand the principal behind the root ranger and you'll soon learn to love it. you can actually hear the rr in action and know what it's doing.

keep playing with it and you'll have it licked

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yea I tried twisting it and my screen is clear. Maybe just a tough one my first try. Ill post next time i use it. Id really like to see a video of it at work, I dont see how one jet from the back at 0 deg will work good.

Comment

Here you go. Gotta' get a little more GPM & HP though.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=Video

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
            Yea I tried twisting it and my screen is clear. Maybe just a tough one my first try. Ill post next time i use it. Id really like to see a video of it at work, I dont see how one jet from the back at 0 deg will work good.
            are you saying that the nozzle doesn't oscillate 25 degrees

it shoots a 0 degree stream and oscillates it 25 degrees to make it a root destroyer.

if your's doesn't jirate it needs to be fixed.

it should also make a awsome wining noise.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, but that aint no RR. But I want one!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Here you go. Gotta' get a little more GPM & HP though.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=Video

J.C.

Comment

It made a noise for sure maybe im just not understanding how it works. Im gonna get some clear pipe stuff it with a cat and see what happens. I think i just need to see it at work.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                are you saying that the nozzle doesn't oscillate 25 degrees

it shoots a 0 degree stream and oscillates it 25 degrees to make it a root destroyer.

if your's doesn't jirate it needs to be fixed.

it should also make a awsome wining noise.

rick.

Comment

http://www.stoneagetools.com/catalog...alog09_21.html

i think you need 5gpm to make it work.

the root ranger is a better choice for your machine.

now if you are very careful and have a foot pedal. you can hold the head of the nozzle and point the stream to the ground and watch it work.

caution, don't attempt this with a front nozzle you can also try this with water hose flow only and no engine. it should still oscillate and show the pattern.

remember this nozzle will cut your skin faster than you can step off the pedal. so please be careful and know what you're attempting before you get injured.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I looked at it with engine off and just hose pressure but just seen a straight line out the back thats what got me thinking it was not a good nozzle ill try in shop with low pressure to see if it kicks in. Trust me I know what that pressure will do to someones skin Thanks Rick

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    http://www.stoneagetools.com/catalog...alog09_21.html

i think you need 5gpm to make it work.

the root ranger is a better choice for your machine.

now if you are very careful and have a foot pedal. you can hold the head of the nozzle and point the stream to the ground and watch it work.

caution, don't attempt this with a front nozzle you can also try this with water hose flow only and no engine. it should still oscillate and show the pattern.

remember this nozzle will cut your skin faster than you can step off the pedal. so please be careful and know what you're attempting before you get injured.

rick.

Comment

How odd... I've used my rr on two jobs, one roots, one scale. Tore them both to pieces. The warthog wan't doing much of anything to the scale. I was favorably impressed. I did find it to be tricky to get back; I'd gone through several bends and junctions in 4" cast on the scale job. Went in a lot easier than it came out.

I'm running up to 5-6 gpm at up to 4kpsi. Can't remember how far up I had it cranked. That might be the difference. Maybe tweak your jetter to get a little more out of it?
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I own both a RR and a warthog, Warthog does a way better job and is easier to use than the rr

Comment

The only thing I dont like about the root ranger is that it has a harder time in bends going out and yes it does get stuck, while my warthog (3/8) it's shape makes it go out better and hardly ever gets stuck. But the root ranger just flat out destroys what ever gets in it's way better than the warthog.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                            I participated in making an absolutely awesome video of the Root Ranger in action.I had the Seesnake 6-12" upstream from the shreader as Rick pulled it towards him.I could see the areas and tell him on the radio to work it a little more before continuing the pull.

I wonder where it could be.Oh that's right.I don't own any interests on this one.

I knew I should have used the Monitor Utah is lending me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              The only thing I dont like about the root ranger is that it has a harder time in bends going out and yes it does get stuck, while my warthog (3/8) it's shape makes it go out better and hardly ever gets stuck. But the root ranger just flat out destroys what ever gets in it's way better than the warthog.
                              A very realiable source( Anyone want to take a guess) informed me that the Root Ranger in the 3/8" flavor will negotiate 3 cast iron 1/4 bends.

I was sceptical so I re-inquired "1/4 bends? not mediums...correct"
                              REPLY:"YES,same radius as the san-tees"

Comment

Working...
                              X