X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement cable k-375

have kinked my existing one in many places. what,s the toughest replacement one? where to buy? how can i avoid this with new one? when to snake down vents vs. cleanout at side sewer. thank,s in advance
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

PlumberRick can help you with the cable replacement. Always use a cleanout when they are available instead of your vents. A properly designed and installed plumbing system will have much longer bends in the drains and fewer of them than the venting system. Plus there is no reason to climb on top of a roof with heavy equipment if it can be avoided. Only if a cleanout is not accessable or installed in such a way that removing the plug will cause property damage or an awful mess should the vent be considered. (Of course if its an older system and the vent is blocked for one reason or another then you have no choice)
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

One thing that will help you from bending your cable is to know it's limitations and know what you are up against. Don't use a 3/8 cable where you need a 3/4 cable.

Most cables are bent because you don't lock your drum when you are at a hard spot or you have too much cable out of the drum and not in the drain.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

TOOLAHOLIC, THE 375 MACHINE WAS REPLACED WITH THE 380. THE 375 HAD AN ISSUE WITH CABLE ROLLOVER IN THE DRUM. EITHER MACHINE WILL RUN 3/8'' CABLE OR 1/2'' CABLE.
        AS TOUTAHNOW MENTIONED, YOU CAN'T TRY FISHING FOR SHARKS WITH A TROUT POLE. 3/8'' CABLE SOULD BE LIMITED TO 2.5'' PIPE AND SMALLER. 1/2'' CABLE 4'' AND SMALLER. NO ROOTS ON THESE SMALL CABLES. ALSO KEEP THE FREE CABLE LIMITED TO NO MORE THAN 2' FRONT THE PIPE OPENING. I ALWAYS KEEP 2 GLOVED HANDS ON THE CABLE TO KEEP IT FROM WHIPPING. FEED SLOW WHEN ENTERING THE LINE. NEVER RUN IN REVERSE UNLESS STUCK. REMEMBER THE SMALLER CABLES REQUIRE A BETTER FEEL. THEY WILL KINK MUCH FASTER THAN A LARGER CABLE. THE LARGER CABLES CAN TOLERATE MORE STRESS. ALSO KEEP YOUR CABLES CLEAN AND OILED.
        AS FAR AS A REPLACEMENT CABLE GOES, IF YOU DON'T MIND SWITCHNG TO A DIFFERENT CONNECTION END, GENERAL MAKES A DURABLE CABLE. RIDGID USED TO HAVE WHAT I FELT WAS THE BEST INNERCORE 3/4'' CABLE. PROBLEM WAS THEY SWITCHED THE INNERCORE 5 YEARS AGO TO SPEED UP PRODUCTION. THAT'S WHEN I SWITCHED TO DURACABLE.(A ROTO-ROOTER CO).
        THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE TO REMEMBER IS USING THE PROPER MACHINE/ CABLE FOR THE APPLICATION. KEEP YOUR CABLES CLEAN AND OILED. FEED AT THE PROPER RATE. AND PROPER DIAGNOISIS OF THE SYSTEM.
        TRY REPLACING WITH THE 1/2'' CABLE AND I THINK WITH THESE SUGGESTIONS, YOU'LL HAVE BETTER LUCK.
        RICK.

Comment

your experiance and help is awsome. will the general duracable accept my rigid cutters? i have many. is there a sequense of auger, cutters to follow to do a better job? guys i,m over at weld talk.com if you need any welding help. i love plumbing and passed my c-38 test
          but the state wouldn,t accept my hrs. paperwork. i,m able to pull plumb. permits under my ca.gen b lic. all work is neat and to code. rick ,i suggest you write the drain cleaning bible. be well kevin
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

KEVIN, THANKS.
            AS FAR AS THE CABLE GOES, GENERAL WIRE AND SPRING DOESN'T MAKE A CABLE WITH YOUR RIDGID END ON IT. THEY COMPETE DIRECTLY WITH RIDGID. YOU CAN ACCESS THEM AT WWW.DRAINBRAIN.COM . I WOULD SUGGEST TO LOOK INTO THE DURACABLE LINE. THEY MAKE CABLES WITH ANY END YOU WANT ON IT. ALSO TRY A REPLACEMENT 1/2'' CABLE WITH INNERCORE / INTEGRAL WOUND MODEL # C-451W. THIS IS 75', THE MAX. AMOUNT THAT WILL FIT IN YOUR DRUM.
            AS FAR AS CUTTERS GO, YOU'RE LIMITED TO THE TYPE OF STOPPAGE YOU CAN ADDRESS WITH THIS SMALLER MACHINE. SOFT STOPPAGES, PAPER, GREASE, HAIR, SOAP, CAN BE ADDRESSED WITH A BULB AUGER, C CUTTER, OR GREASE CUTTER. THE GREASE CUTTER IS NOTHING MORE THAN A PADDLE.YOU WILL NEED TO SIZE THE CUTTER 1 SIZE SMALLER THAN THE PIPE YOU'RE CLEANING. A GOOD TRICK IS A "WHIP". A FLEXIBLE LEADER APPROX. 1' LONG THAT IS OFFSET APPROX. 45 DEGREES. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR A SMALLER CUTTER TO SPIN ON AN ECENTRIC AND WHIP AND SCRAPE EVEN IN A LARGER PIPE THAN WHAT YOU ORIGNALLY ENTERED INTO.SUCH AS CLEANING A 3'' LINE FROM A 2'' CLEANOUT OR LATERAL. GREASE IS BEST ADDDRESSED WITH A HYDROJETTER. REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN'T RESTORE THE PIPING TO NEW LIKE CONDITION ON STEEL PIPE. NON-METALIC PIPE IS GOING TO GIVE YOU BETER RESULTS WITH THIS MACHINE. IT'S SORT OF LIKE COHLESTORAL? ALL THE YEARS OF BUILD UP IN MEATLIC PIPE IS NOT GOING TO BECOME SPOTLESS BY ANY MEANS. PLASTIC AND CLAY PIPE CAN BE RESTORED TO LIKE NEW CONDITIONS WITH THE PROPER USE OF SNAKES, WATER, AND JETTERS.
            REMEMBER YOU HAVE AN ENTRY LEVEL MACHINE AND GOOD FOR DO IT YOURSELF TYPE OF WORK. DON'T GO AFTER THE BIG FISH WITH THIS MACHINE. STICK WITH TROUT. HAPPY FISHING.
            RICK.

[ 07-09-2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

the k-380 replacement cable with cable core was only $59 at home chepo not bad for 75ft of3/8".

i know general is better, but will keep it oiled and be more careful with the little guy

Comment

TOOL, WAS THE $59. PRICE AN ACTUAL RIDGID CABLE OR A KNOCKOFF CABLE? IF RIDGID YOU DID REAL GOOD. MY H.D. DOESN'T CARRY RIDGID REPLACEMENT CABLES.
                HAPPY FISHING. DON'T LET THE BIG FISH GET AWAY.
                RICK

Comment

knocked up and off! pro cable cored cable

brass craft drain cleaning products bridgeport n.j.

good for soft to medium turds.

looks exactually like the one ,k-380 on display.
                  who knows where any part comes from these days
                  was thinking of marvel mystery oil in drum for cable.
                  good or bad idea? thanks

Comment

TOOL, THAT IS THE SAME CABLE, CO. THAT MY H.D. CARRIES. HAVN'T TRIED THAT BRAND, BUT IT IS BETTER THAN SOME OF THEIR CHEAP JUNK.
                    HAVN'T TRIED MARVEL OIL. I USE BOTH THE RIDGID SNAKE OIL AND THE GENERAL OIL. I BELIEVE THEY BOTH HAVE A DISENFECTENT IN THEM. ABOUT 5. A QUART. 15. A GALLON. I'VE TRIED POWER STEERING FLUID, LITE OIL, WD 40, EVEN DIESEL FUEL. STICKING WITH THE REAL SNAKE OIL. JUST PART OF DOING BUSINESS.
                    ONCE AGAIN, GO SLOW WHEN FEEDING INTO STOPPAGE. KEEP CABLE CLEAN, DRY, AND OILED. USE THE CUTTER THAT WILL NOT BIND IN THE PIPE OR FITTING. THE 3/8'' CABLE WILL TWIST, TORQU MUCH FASTER THAN LARGER CABLES. NICE THING IS THEY DON'T BITE YOU AS HARD AS A 3/4'' CABLE. ONLY BEEN BITTEN ONCE. ONCE IS ENOUGH FOR THE BIG ONES.
                    RICK.

Comment

cleaned out old cable, and drum was full of crap. put in 3 lbs. crushed stone and simple green let rotate with some water. clean. loaded new cable. sulpize as the chinese say. wong, attach hardware ,on end dummy!
                      i,m also a welder. will chop old end and mig weld to new. the only use it will get is a few old timers that i look after. one,s 90! flew 60 missions over germany
                      my hero 5'6 140 lbs and still tough as nails.

Comment

Re: replacement cable k-375

Originally posted by imported_PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        TOOLAHOLIC, THE 375 MACHINE WAS REPLACED WITH THE 380. THE 375 HAD AN ISSUE WITH CABLE ROLLOVER IN THE DRUM. EITHER MACHINE WILL RUN 3/8'' CABLE OR 1/2'' CABLE.
                        AS TOUTAHNOW MENTIONED, YOU CAN'T TRY FISHING FOR SHARKS WITH A TROUT POLE. 3/8'' CABLE SOULD BE LIMITED TO 2.5'' PIPE AND SMALLER. 1/2'' CABLE 4'' AND SMALLER. NO ROOTS ON THESE SMALL CABLES. ALSO KEEP THE FREE CABLE LIMITED TO NO MORE THAN 2' FRONT THE PIPE OPENING. I ALWAYS KEEP 2 GLOVED HANDS ON THE CABLE TO KEEP IT FROM WHIPPING. FEED SLOW WHEN ENTERING THE LINE. NEVER RUN IN REVERSE UNLESS STUCK. REMEMBER THE SMALLER CABLES REQUIRE A BETTER FEEL. THEY WILL KINK MUCH FASTER THAN A LARGER CABLE. THE LARGER CABLES CAN TOLERATE MORE STRESS. ALSO KEEP YOUR CABLES CLEAN AND OILED.
                        AS FAR AS A REPLACEMENT CABLE GOES, IF YOU DON'T MIND SWITCHNG TO A DIFFERENT CONNECTION END, GENERAL MAKES A DURABLE CABLE. RIDGID USED TO HAVE WHAT I FELT WAS THE BEST INNERCORE 3/4'' CABLE. PROBLEM WAS THEY SWITCHED THE INNERCORE 5 YEARS AGO TO SPEED UP PRODUCTION. THAT'S WHEN I SWITCHED TO DURACABLE.(A ROTO-ROOTER CO).
                        THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE TO REMEMBER IS USING THE PROPER MACHINE/ CABLE FOR THE APPLICATION. KEEP YOUR CABLES CLEAN AND OILED. FEED AT THE PROPER RATE. AND PROPER DIAGNOISIS OF THE SYSTEM.
                        TRY REPLACING WITH THE 1/2'' CABLE AND I THINK WITH THESE SUGGESTIONS, YOU'LL HAVE BETTER LUCK.
                        RICK.
                        Thanks, Rick, for the guidelines above. It makes perfect sense. I'm in a search for a used drain cleaner, preferred professional grade if possible. What brand would you suggest? It will be used for 4" main pipe. I thought about getting one that I can switch between 1/2" and 3/4", but you guys mentioned that for roots problems, I will need to use 3/4". So, maybe just 3/4" for 4" pipe and a drill type machine with 3/8" for smaller jobs (Kitchen, Bathroom). That would be acceptable?

Comment

Re: replacement cable k-375

Originally posted by Target View Post
                          Thanks, Rick, for the guidelines above. It makes perfect sense. I'm in a search for a used drain cleaner, preferred professional grade if possible. What brand would you suggest? It will be used for 4" main pipe. I thought about getting one that I can switch between 1/2" and 3/4", but you guys mentioned that for roots problems, I will need to use 3/4". So, maybe just 3/4" for 4" pipe and a drill type machine with 3/8" for smaller jobs (Kitchen, Bathroom). That would be acceptable?
                          target, this post is so old/ 4+ years that i was imported

things have changed in the 4 plus years since.

i've come out of the closet

i'm no longer a drummer

i'm a sectional man

get a k-60 and you can thank me later

there have been thousands of post on the k-60, just read and look at some of the photos of them in action.

start reading and save your questions. most answers can be found in the post.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X