Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

    Was talking with the homeowner after I drove by and saw the "mound" in the yard.

    Seems she had a backup, they rodded and could not clear the clog. Camera'd the line, some sort of problem exists, must dig. Main line was 4-5ft down. Hand-dug (machine was an extra 1k) found back pitched pipe, replaced 5ft, some under sidewalk, added cleanout...job done. Three different guys, 1.5 days.

    $4000.
    Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 11-11-2009, 11:46 PM.

  • #2
    Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

    To all plumbers we have a proud trade and I have always been proud to be

    a plumber,

    but having said that there are a lot of states where drain cleaners are not

    required to be licensed plumbers !

    And having work both sides of that, I can honesty tell you they do not have

    to licensed to work to protect the " health " of the nation !

    They are just as dedicated and trust worthy as any licensed plumber out

    there !

    Are there cheats among them yes they are ! Just as they are the same kind of

    people that are licensed plumbers ! People are people no matter what their

    " licensed " status is,

    I am plain getting sick and tired of plumbers bashing drain people !
    __________________
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

      Whatchu' talkin' about JMac?

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

        Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
        I am plain getting sick and tired of plumbers bashing drain people !
        __________________
        LOL...as soon as I run into a plumber that's a cheat and a scam artist, I will post about it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

          it gets worse. some of the local companies know to be "salesmen" are now getting their license as a bonded sewer contractor that can work in the public right of way.

          i've actually read a review of one of these companies i know is far from honest. the homeowner actually called him out in a review and exposed him for what he is. problem was they already took this guys money.

          unfortunately we can't protect everyone. it's a buyer beware market.

          all i can do is educate my customers and the ones on this forum

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

            Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
            Was talking with the homeowner after I drove by and saw the "mound" in the yard.

            Seems she had a backup, they rodded and could not clear the clog. Camera'd the line, some sort of problem exists, must dig. Main line was 4-5ft down. Hand-dug (machine was an extra 1k) found back pitched pipe, replaced 5ft, some under sidewalk, added cleanout...job done. Three different guys, 1.5 days.

            $4000.
            What are you talking to my customers for and posting what I charge online?

            But seriously, how do you know if they where scamming the home owner or if it was a legit repair? Also price is irrelevant. She could of shopped around for other estimates. $4000 for 1.5 days is pretty cheap, last 1.5 day dig I did I got just under $6000 for it. The home owner I quoted that price to called me back after getting 5 other bids. She said she rather use me even though I was the second most expansive bid she got. She liked how I explained to her what her problem was, and in detail what I would do to repair it. Also she liked my attitude the best compared to all the other shops that came out. I would be more concerned if they did not pull a permit, and have the job inspected.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              What are you talking to my customers for and posting what I charge online?

              But seriously, how do you know if they where scamming the home owner or if it was a legit repair? Also price is irrelevant. She could of shopped around for other estimates. $4000 for 1.5 days is pretty cheap, last 1.5 day dig I did I got just under $6000 for it. The home owner I quoted that price to called me back after getting 5 other bids. She said she rather use me even though I was the second most expansive bid she got. She liked how I explained to her what her problem was, and in detail what I would do to repair it. Also she liked my attitude the best compared to all the other shops that came out. I would be more concerned if they did not pull a permit, and have the job inspected.
              She payed for the full page ad in the YP. Cleanouts without a machine run max $2000.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                1.5 x 3 x 8 = 36 hrs. $4000. / 36 = $111.11 per hour. what's wrong with that? actually that's cheap. i hand dig a lot. i cost more than a hoe.it's custom work not to use hoe. custom cost more. my dad used to tell me there wasn't any money in being a ditch digger. i told him he didn't know how to do it. if you think that is a ripoff, i'll let you spend a day and a half digging a trench by hand. your call. breid..........

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                  Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  She payed for the full page ad in the YP. Cleanouts without a machine run max $2000.
                  I guess it depends on how much overhead you have, and how much you need to clear for having a truck on one job all day. I will admit our cost to do business has priced us out of range of some jobs. But I rather price the job where it will pay my bills than be in the hole or just barely break even on the completion of the job.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                    One day I was in Hoffman Estates doing a power rodding. After I finished up I was leaving out a different way i came into that area, and I noticed a huge excavator taking up a home owners front yard, and the plumbing inspector standing near a hole by the sidewalk. So I parked to see what was going on. When I walked up to the inspector he recognized me and asked me, " Ron, how much would you get to make a sewer repair here?" I looked down the hole and barely saw the bottom of the hole, was about 15 feet deep. I told him to get a machine this big, and shoring and the time, I wouldn't touch the job for less than 12K. He replied thats what I thought. Then he said would you believe the guy down there is only getting $1800.00? I replied is that Dwayne down there? He said yea how did you know? I said I had talked to Dwayne a week ago and he was hurting for money, and he had to sell jobs just so he can make the monthly payment on his excavator.

                    The sad part there are 1000's of guys out there with the same thinking as Dwayne, they only charge enough to break even, no profit. They just want to get the bills paid, so they underbid jobs to get them. Trouble is if there is no profit how do you grow and survive?
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                      I not run into anyone like that yet...unless they are a handyman or regular contractor looking for a buck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                        Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        One day I was in Hoffman Estates doing a power rodding. After I finished up I was leaving out a different way i came into that area, and I noticed a huge excavator taking up a home owners front yard, and the plumbing inspector standing near a hole by the sidewalk. So I parked to see what was going on. When I walked up to the inspector he recognized me and asked me, " Ron, how much would you get to make a sewer repair here?" I looked down the hole and barely saw the bottom of the hole, was about 15 feet deep. I told him to get a machine this big, and shoring and the time, I wouldn't touch the job for less than 12K. He replied thats what I thought. Then he said would you believe the guy down there is only getting $1800.00? I replied is that Dwayne down there? He said yea how did you know? I said I had talked to Dwayne a week ago and he was hurting for money, and he had to sell jobs just so he can make the monthly payment on his excavator.

                        The sad part there are 1000's of guys out there with the same thinking as Dwayne, they only charge enough to break even, no profit. They just want to get the bills paid, so they underbid jobs to get them. Trouble is if there is no profit how do you grow and survive?
                        $1800? I get that for a 75 gal water heater with difficult access !
                        The poor BUSTURD, bless him
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                          Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          $1800? I get that for a 75 gal water heater with difficult access !
                          The poor BUSTURD, bless him


                          bless him or curse him?

                          really? it does makes everyone in the trade look like a robber when we charge our regular rates to make a true living.
                          i've heard that many times well so and so will do it for 1/2, 1/4 of what you will do it for.
                          just because he may not know how to run business or are hurting it drags us all down to there level.

                          even when i'm dead i have thought that i should lower my prices to get more calls. then i think i can't. i would rather go out of business then degrade myself.
                          i have seen to many people live by the skin of there teeth, then go out of business. even if you did one call a day at your regular rate you would still be making more the someone doing calls at cost.
                          Last edited by Jerad; 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM.
                          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                            I can't fault a guy for keeping his house.

                            A lot of people aren't.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Local "Rooter" company strikes again.

                              Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                              She payed for the full page ad in the YP. Cleanouts without a machine run max $2000.


                              Maybe 2000 for you, do you live in a rented apartment?

                              Im so tired of people bashing everyone eles prices on this forum.

                              Who cares what one charges? Do you know how they operate thei business? It actually does take more then 25.00$ to run a ligit company.

                              Price your work at what your overhead requires you to price it at.

                              Everyone hates Mike Diamond and George Brazil here, they charge what they have to to run the type of company they have to run. I don't agree with their pricing, but it's what they do.

                              What I do have a problem with are the "plumbers" in my area who have no clue how to run a business and charge 45$ hour and lower the rates for ligit guys doing good work and running a successful company.

                              Companies that charge too much is not a crime, its a buyers be ware world, its a crime to charge to little and ruin the profession for good people.
                              sigpic

                              Robert

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X