X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disposal pumps to roof vent.

had a kitchen sink stoppage today that was interesting.

single compartment sink with ise disposal. turned on the disposal to see if it would clear the line. as the water level dropped, i noticed water and macaroni running off the roof as i looked from the window.

since there was no second compartment or an air gap for the dishwasher, the disposal acted as a pump and pumped it up approx. 6' -7' to the roof vent above it

so i climbed the ladder with my k-50 5/8'' cable and snaked from the copper clad roof down the 1.5'' gal waste line to clear the greasy sink line pulling up roots in the process

no pro photographer with me, so i shot a couple when i got down

rick.

kitchen sink just inside of the window, with 1.5'' roof vent just above the right side of the window frame.

45' of 5/8'' sectional cable with roots using and auger end.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-10-2009, 03:35 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: disposal pumps to roof vent.

Very interesting, what size disp? thats a lot of head - that can be a good good thing?- oops the wife is comming.....

Comment

Why the 50 and not the mighty K-60?

I have had similar happen, it is always an interesting job.

Comment

used the k-50 as this was a 1.5'' gal roof vent. also i tried the 60 on an earlier 2'' laundry that day with 5/8'' and it was slipping

i guess after a good 2-3 years i finally wore the clutch out enough to no longer grip the smaller cable. remember that i bought this original k-60 used from ebay. it was a h.d. rental unit.

since i carry both the 50 and 60. i'll keep the clutch in there just for the 7/8''. i guess i'll see if i can get 100,000 miles out of it

90' is my typical run. 58 runs is a mile

well maybe 100 miles that's 5800 runs

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

because i already have the 50 i'll leave the 60 setup with 7/8 for those hard to get to spots or tight quarters. it's also gonna be my backup if the 50 or 75 goes down

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

When's the last time this happened to You,if ever?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

can't ever remember. most sinks are 2 compartment, or have an airgap.

this one surprised me

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                When's the last time this happened to You,if ever?
                last week and about 15 to 20 times a year
                Not really anything new to us.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I get about a half dozen of these situations a year. Except about half of them are in 2 or 2.5 story houses and instead of pumping to the top of the stack, the disposer ends up burning itself out because of the high head.

However,

An Insinkerator Evolution model carries a 1hp motor. That's more than 3 times the muscle of a Zoeller #53 sump pump. Granted the engineering and purpose is different, but the cavitation provides a hefty push.

Speeking of weird....

I once saw a B&G series 100 circulation pump mounted above a sump pit with 3/4" pipe extending into the pit and a piggyback switch used as a sump pump....with a 10' head. Owner had been in the house 10 years and had never even touched the set up because he wasn't even sure what it was! It ran like a charm every 1.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    to clear the greasy sink line pulling up roots in the process
                    So did you charge for cleaning the main line too?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      can't ever remember. most sinks are 2 compartment, or have an airgap.

this one surprised me

rick.
                      There's a lot of old single waste k/s setups down in Long Beach. See it quite a bit. Usually the owner/occupant is the one that points out there's water and food particles coming from the "roof pipe".

Comment

Had one today, ks stack in a three unit high building. Bottom unit tells middle unit there is a problem, middle unit takes off his disposer to see what's up, bottom unit turns his on, kersplash.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X