X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health and Safety

I was curious what people do to not spread germs and literally cr**p from our hands and tools when working in stores, restaurants or homes. I double glove, try not to touch door handles and put drop cloths down, use separate tools for drain cleaning from plumbing and clean after but sometimes I wonder what could happen especially in a restaurant with air borne germs,or waste water spinning off the cables or simply by having a dirty glove touch a door handle or something similiar.

Re: Health and Safety

Originally posted by Boone Plumbing View Post
    I was curious what people do to not spread germs and literally cr**p from our hands and tools when working in stores, restaurants or homes. I double glove, try not to touch door handles and put drop cloths down, use separate tools for drain cleaning from plumbing and clean after but sometimes I wonder what could happen especially in a restaurant with air borne germs,or waste water spinning off the cables or simply by having a dirty glove touch a door handle or something similiar.
    Germs are good for you. All these antibacterial soaps and such is not healthy for us on a whole. We kill off the bad and good bacterias, and we do not build up immunity to these bugs.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

One other thing, what precautions do you, as a drain cleaner, to protect yourself, do you where a respirator especially when jetting, etc.

Comment

I've thought the same thing. Especially when I am out handling cameras that have been out in the field. Not everyone is as careful about what I touch with dirty hands.

It would pry freak most people out what is actually on doorknobs in the public. Let alone handles of drain cleaning machines and sewer cameras

Comment

my equipment gets a good hosing with lysol on monday mornings. I use germ-x after cleaning drains, but other than that and good rubber gloves, I don't take much for personal precautions, a respirator if i'm working in a really dusty area, but that's for asthma. I do make sure to hit door handles i've touched with lysol when i'm done, I try not to let employee's/customers enter the area i'm working in.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I don't do much work inside but I'm sure to take off my gloves when I need to touch something like a door handle. Think about the inside of your truck too. It's probably a good idea to wipe it down now and then with a clorox wipe. We've had a bought of stomach flu go around our crew lately. We're sure to wipe down another employees truck when we get in.

Seweratz is right though, we do need germs to keep us immune from some of this crap.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

It would pry freak most people out what is actually on doorknobs in the public.
              Yeah, I've always why doors to public restrooms are not either automatic or swing both ways and not have a handle and latch which just forces every person entering and leaving the room to touch it, thereby spreading germs or what have you. With a swinging door you can just give it a push with your elbow or shoulder and not have to touch anything with your hands that someone might have touched after not washing their hands.

Actually you don't even need a door if your build the entryway properly as is done on many high volume restrooms at airports, stadiums, or turnpike rest stops. This would seem to be a little more friendly to disabled persons too, as there would be no door to deal with at all.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The truck is a good point, I should probably find a way to kill the germs in the back of that beast periodically. nothing overboard, just a bleach bomb once every couple of months or something like that
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

if i can use my elbow to open a door i will. if i have to touch anything with a gloved hand i try to remember and sanitize it. i always remind the customer that the ENTIRE area needs to be sanitized (floors, doors, fixtures, etc) and hope they do a good job.

if i can i leave doors open and try to touch as little as possible. but then again i'm there to clear a sewage blockage. $hit happens

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Our culture,it makes me laugh.

I love watching Tommy and Billy throw cat crap at each other from the sandbox soon to have mumsy kiss Tommy's smashed finger.

Jack and Suzy touching tongues in the parking lot behind Denny's.

Huh...What...Sex...She likes What/Where?
                    After which she screams at her son..
                    Billy,put that down....ARRRG!!!!!

How 'bout salmonella.
                    What kills it.
                    Bleach...Heat?

I see no-one washing dishes in bleach after preparing a yummy chicken dinner.
                    And unless they're scalding blisters onto their hands @ 130degrees it's all just one sink full of salmonella soup.

Humans need germs,need to get sick to some fair extent.Nothing irresponsible just don't be paranoid.

Bathrooms spook me if I dwell on it.
                    I'll use the paper drying towels to open the door and make a hail mary to the trash can.If it falls to the floor....I'll think about it
                    I do care about others with weaker immune systems,gloves and elbows for them.

Comment

Two workmen were working pumping a septic tank, when one dropped his coat in the main tank. He immediately began fishing around in the murky mess with a stick and the other, appalled, remarked: “Look here, you can’t wear that thing again now.”
                      “Oh I know,” replied the other, “But my lunch is in the pocket.”
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the 5 second rule is always in affect for me.

just ask joey when my ice cream fell off the cone at rite aide

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Living a healthy lifestyle is not difficult, it all starts in your mind to think healthy thoughts. Quality health starts in you mind, followed with appropriate actions.
                          pc health check software

Comment

Germs are good for you as we are made up of many of em. Playing in Poo will make you healthy. Don't listen to your mom, grab a big hand full of poo and let the games begin
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X