X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable oil

What do you guys use to keep your drum cables from rusting, One of our supply houses just started stocking little quart bottles of snake oils, but i've always just use dark threading oil splashed into the drum. give it a few turns and forget it.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: cable oil

WD-40 for me.
    I just spray them down in the carriers and try to make sure I hit each cable end for my sectional cables.

My two drums get sprayed down with WD and the cables get sprayed and ragged off every month or so.

WD being a moisture displacer does the trick that and it is readly available in spray cans.

Bill

Comment

I'll use WD-40 also or sometimes motor oil. Whatever you might have is way better than nothing at all. I think the idea is just so it has some kind of oil on it so it won't rust.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

me 3 for wd-40.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i too use wd-40. if it wasn't so danged expensive i'd use LPS. it doesn't attract dirt and stuff like wd-40 does. besides LPS is a lubricant where wd-40 isn't

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

My sink line machines never need oiling, they get enough from the drain lines I clean. The main line machine (spartan 1065 and Ridgid 1 1/4" cables) I oil up weekly. The sectional cables I spray the spring loaded buttons down with WD-40 after every job, to ensure they stay clean and easy to use by the next time I use them.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Wow we all use wd 40. It's quick and available everywhere!
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

WD 40 for me as well. I like the fact that it wont soak thru a tarp if its on the carpet or something...while being used on a call.

Comment

it used to be snake oil in the drums and wd in the sectionals.

now it's all wd-40. i get the new can style with the flip straw to spray into the sectional male pin hole.

if snake oil came in a spray can, then it would be my choice.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

It lookes like we all use WD40 they must have the market sown up world wide I wish I had share in it.

Tony

Comment

I was a wd40 Guy untill i purchased a gallon of RIDGID snake oil. it Works very well! after you snake a drain, when the cables are soaking wet, you can see the water bead off like car wax! plus it smell good!

I do use wd40 on the pins that connect the cables.

Comment

thanks for the input guys, I might give it a try. seems a bit more expensive than the cutting oil I use now, but if it protects the cables better it's worth it.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

renee, here's a good opportunity to bottle up some snake oil and put it into an aerosol can with a built in straw for the pins

looks like we all use wd because of the aerosol can. i know your oil is better suited as a lube, disinfectant and deodoriser, but wd is convenient.

you can put my commission check into my toy fund

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

i buy wd40 in a gallon or 5 gal size. I do not buy the spray can anymore because the sprayer would stop working with only 1/2 the can being used up. it is also MUCH cheaper without the aerosal can!

I Now dump it into a spray bottle with a funnel. I do the same with my RIDGID snake oil. At first it HATED doing it. now i have no problem with it.

Any thing to save a buck!

Comment

When we started out the sales rep. told us to use motor oil mixed with kerosene, but when when WD came around I used that, but 20 years ago I changed to STP. or a generic brand in the 1500 I would pour a small amount in the rear guide hose and it would oil the cable up a few times before I had to re oil.In the 7500 I use a mix of motor oil and STP. it works for me but the STP can gunk up the auto feed if you use too much or will make it slip. I just put it in the drum when I pull out on the last pass and let it oil the cable as it spins I like it better and it lasts along time. Some grease I get out of the line will actual make my cable rust or it might be the Drano they used to try to get it open.

Comment

Working...
                              X