crying over cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: crying over cost

Once worked at a lady's house. I was recommended to her without her asking one question as too cost of services. I estimate the house to be about 4500 sq. ft. in an excellent neighborhood. Plug that into your area for a financial comparison.

Anyway, while I was working on this, she would ask to check that. I would get to the next thing and she would think of something else.

The last thing she asked me to look at was a leak at the pump controls for a swimming pool. I looked. It appeared to be an O-ring in a union. I explained to her I did not have one and she might be better off calling her pool guy. He'd probably have them all the time.

She says, "I don't want to call him out. They'll charge like $60.00/hr for the call."

I put my hand on her shoulder and said, "Well brace yourself, I've got some bad news...."

I had been there about 3 hours.

J.C.

Comment

i had a sewer dug up a few years back and was down in the ditch standing in about a foot of sewage when the ho said to me: you couldnt pay me a million dollars to do your job! guess what? i handed him a bill for 400.00 and he said the bill was to high! go figure!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Don't beat yourself up over it too much.
        They do the same thing at a $5,000,000 house.
        The car is $220,000

Ive usually found the more money they have the harder it is for them to part with it! Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          When my brother and I were kids and we got another paper route, in the "rich" part of town, we thought we hit it big. We already had the poor neighborhood and did pretty good with tips.

We figured we'd get at least double the tips in the rich neighborhood

We actually ended up with 1/4 the tips and 4 X's the complaints (paper not folded right, paper on second step not top, walks on the lawn, and blah, blah). Stingy bastards
          Actually I can relate to having to walk across my wet lawn in the morning. Not too fun. As long as they get on the sidewalk I don't mind walking out to it.

On the drain deal, I was working in an upscale, affluent orange county area recently and the customer wasn't too happy with what I quoted him. Basic mainline stoppage with c/o access. Pretty much a slam dunk job. Then, I head to a more middle class area to do a job that was completely the opposite. Upstairs mainline, no access, had to pull toilet, line ran down and out the side of the home then wyed together in the front. Lots of roots and wasn't simple by any stretch. Guy was happy as punch to pay me.

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
            Actually I can relate to having to walk across my wet lawn in the morning. Not too fun. As long as they get on the sidewalk I don't mind walking out to it.

On the drain deal, I was working in an upscale, affluent orange county area recently and the customer wasn't too happy with what I quoted him. Basic mainline stoppage with c/o access. Pretty much a slam dunk job. Then, I head to a more middle class area to do a job that was completely the opposite. Upstairs mainline, no access, had to pull toilet, line ran down and out the side of the home then wyed together in the front. Lots of roots and wasn't simple by any stretch. Guy was happy as punch to pay me.
            I think it is because they have to work for their money just the same as you and they realize you have to as well.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
              Ive usually found the more money they have the harder it is for them to part with it! Agreed
              Yeah but when it comes to a new garage door or some brick work out in front or that 60 inch HD TV, then it's all good. But pay the Plumber without a hassle? Pfft

Comment

i find it incresingly hard for people to value my time anymore. everyone wants somrthing for nothing. this week has hell for that.
                the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Yea I had a customer tell me one time your the only guy I know who charges more then my husband the Doctor ! I told yea that's why I stoped being a Doctor and started cleaning drains. S__t I charge more then that for a sink drain.

Comment

$110.00 for a main sewer is a great deal for the HO but you cant stay in business doing them for that and make any profit at it..... I charge $150.00 for a sink...I did two main sewers today 1 st one was $239.00 basement clean out and 70' second was $308.00 basement clean out clean out with 60' to the main and I got a $20.00 cash tip from them too....My K1500 was the best investment I ever made... Both customers knew my price before I started the job...If I cant make money at this then I wont do it.... How can you have a nice truck..proper eqipment..pay your taxes...advertisment...Insurance.. pay yourself and charge so little ?...To me if I did a main sewer for $110.00 it would be the same as me paying the HO $130.00 to play in his do do and guys I aint doin that...

Comment

Crying over $110??

You should have took a dump on their kitchen floor and asked them how much it was worth to them to pick it up!

'Never mind the cost of travel, tools, advertising, insurance, and etc..Just grab a paper towel and pick that steamer up. What would you charge me just to do that?'
                      That gave me a good laugh. Thanks Gene!

And as far as $110.....That's less than what I would have charged as well, and they're seriously complaining about that?????
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Just grab a paper towel and pick that steamer up.?

Comment

Every time I re-read that, I can't help but laugh "just grab a paper towel and pick that steamer up" - I'm using that one of these days. Of course, I don't know if I would get away taking a dump on the floor, but I can give the HO a visual of the scenario
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

If it takes less than an hour it's $90. we're one of the more successful companies in our area. and sadly enough, not the cheapest. The $49 drain cleaning companies you guys complain about don't go out of business here, They stay small, and do very well.
                            Point being, costs are different everywhere, don't assume someone is charging too little because it's different than what you charge.

Originally posted by Magic Touch III LLC View Post
                            $110.00 for a main sewer is a great deal for the HO but you cant stay in business doing them for that and make any profit at it..... I charge $150.00 for a sink...I did two main sewers today 1 st one was $239.00 basement clean out and 70' second was $308.00 basement clean out clean out with 60' to the main and I got a $20.00 cash tip from them too....My K1500 was the best investment I ever made... Both customers knew my price before I started the job...If I cant make money at this then I wont do it.... How can you have a nice truck..proper eqipment..pay your taxes...advertisment...Insurance.. pay yourself and charge so little ?...To me if I did a main sewer for $110.00 it would be the same as me paying the HO $130.00 to play in his do do and guys I aint doin that...
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              If it takes less than an hour it's $90. we're one of the more successful companies in our area. and sadly enough, not the cheapest. The $49 drain cleaning companies you guys complain about don't go out of business here, They stay small, and do very well.
                              Point being, costs are different everywhere, don't assume someone is charging too little because it's different than what you charge.

Thats funny cause thats what I charge if they got a clean-out...in basements or stairs or pulling toilet cost more....great minds think alike!!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I'm not doing mains to city sewers, but I charge $95 per hour if I'm there pumping the tank. If I make a special trip its $125 the first hour and $95 per after.
                                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X