Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crying over cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: crying over cost

    I would say it is hard to raise your rates, old customers get used to a certain price and expect it every time. When I raise prices I usually do the first time at the old rate an inform them of the new rate, thats how I bump my old customers up to the new price. Some I just plain do it for the old price based on the amount of work I do with them. But I do have some that if I raised the rate they would stop using us.
    Seattle Drain Service

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: crying over cost

      Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      I would say it is hard to raise your rates, old customers get used to a certain price and expect it every time. When I raise prices I usually do the first time at the old rate an inform them of the new rate, thats how I bump my old customers up to the new price. Some I just plain do it for the old price based on the amount of work I do with them. But I do have some that if I raised the rate they would stop using us.
      I gradually raise rates. Every year a few bucks. Its hard to make big jumps without getting questioned.

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: crying over cost

        I blamed the last price increase on gas prices at the time... was when it got to $4+/gal there for a while. No one balked. left it there when gas went back down.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: crying over cost

          well a 2nd round of gas price increases are on the way!
          Seattle Drain Service

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: crying over cost

            Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            well a 2nd round of gas price increases are on the way!
            Yep and everyone expects to pay more for everything when gas prices go up.
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: crying over cost

              Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              Point being, costs are different everywhere, don't assume someone is charging too little because it's different than what you charge.
              MoJo spot on!
              Time flies like an arrow.

              Fruit flies like a banana.

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: crying over cost

                Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                If I get some blow back on price, I ask the customer how often they call a plumber. Many will not have any idea. So, I'll ask them, once a year, two years, three years. I often hear every couple of years. Some say 5 years or more!

                Then I tell them to really think about it. They'll very willingly pay phone/cable $100.00-$200.00 every single month! I'm providing X, you pay me and don't have to see me again for at least a year. Lightbulb goes off over their head.

                Just a way to close or get your point across.


                J.C.
                JC: The main thing is you communicate well with your customers. I think that's the key. If we as service providers communicate well so surprises are kept to a minimum then the number of problems we experience with customers should be reduced too.
                Time flies like an arrow.

                Fruit flies like a banana.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: crying over cost

                  Being up front makes life easy. Who want to sell on price anyway. The other guy can cut the rate just like you can. Before you know it everyone is working for peanuts.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: crying over cost

                    Where I live there is only one licensed master plumber (me) and there is only one person who will clean out drains (me). The next closest company is 50 miles away. I charge 120 dollars the first hour and 80 dollars for each additional hour for drain cleaning. I always follow up with a camera inspection so that I am not arguing over the bill two weeks later when its stopped up again because of a broken pipe. The company that is 50 miles away charges 60 dollars an hour for drain cleaning but once you paid them the 120 dollar trip charge the customer comes out ahead calling me. Not to add that I can get usually get there in ten minutes and offer 24/7 emergency service. I explain everything up front and I have not had too many complaints...
                    Last edited by NEPlumber; 03-02-2011, 11:08 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: crying over cost

                      BTW after reading through this thread I found myself laughing over and over and over...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: crying over cost

                        Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        If it takes less than an hour it's $90. we're one of the more successful companies in our area. and sadly enough, not the cheapest. The $49 drain cleaning companies you guys complain about don't go out of business here, They stay small, and do very well.
                        Point being, costs are different everywhere, don't assume someone is charging too little because it's different than what you charge.
                        How can they pay their employee's van repairs plus fuel $3.50 a gallon.
                        If these guy's are on commission that aint making jack!
                        Factor in business expenses plus unemployment insurance health insurance etc,
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                        Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: crying over cost

                          DA Best sound like you could be a from Wisconsin.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: crying over cost

                            Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                            How can they pay their employee's van repairs plus fuel $3.50 a gallon.
                            If these guy's are on commission that aint making jack!
                            Factor in business expenses plus unemployment insurance health insurance etc,
                            My question is how can the 49.99 company make any money at all? There is no way I could ever clean a drain for 49.99 and make anything. 300 dollar sewer cables, 3000 dollar sewer machine, gas, vehicle maintenance, paying apprentice, taxes, and a slew of other 'hidden' cost. Plus 49.99 and I rarely ever get a drain unstopped anything less then an hour...

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: crying over cost

                              Originally posted by NEPlumber View Post
                              My question is how can the 49.99 company make any money at all? There is no way I could ever clean a drain for 49.99 and make anything. 300 dollar sewer cables, 3000 dollar sewer machine, gas, vehicle maintenance, paying apprentice, taxes, and a slew of other 'hidden' cost. Plus 49.99 and I rarely ever get a drain unstopped anything less then an hour...
                              Da Best, sound like u could be from Hawaii...

                              here we tend to pernounce "The" as Da

                              in fact that is the name of my company too...

                              dhdc (daHawaiian Drain Cleaner)
                              -----------

                              as for the $49 guys, I wonder if most of them are moonlighting doing other work, they probably do carpet cleaning, draincleaning, windowwashing and everything else that doesnt require a contractors license thus they low ball the market.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X