X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crying over cost

Had a homeowner call with a clogged sewer, took the call. Rodded the sewer, got roots out. Gave them a bill of $110.00. Oh boy did they let me have it. This was a $220,000 house. Crying over a $110.00 Bill.

Re: crying over cost

Less than I would have charged.
    Offer to put the roots back and give them the money back.
    Last edited by Big Jim; 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM.

Comment

These Homeowners acted like they owned a Sewer Cleaning business before. They knew everything!

Comment

Crying over $110??

You should have took a dump on their kitchen floor and asked them how much it was worth to them to pick it up!

'Never mind the cost of travel, tools, advertising, insurance, and etc..Just grab a paper towel and pick that steamer up. What would you charge me just to do that?'
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Crying over $110??

You should have took a dump on their kitchen floor and asked them how much it was worth to them to pick it up!

'Never mind the cost of travel, tools, advertising, insurance, and etc..Just grab a paper towel and pick that steamer up. What would you charge me just to do that?'

Damn, I have created a following!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I worked with a guy that always charged the home owners that "knew" all about plumbing and drain cleaning more. When he did that they where happy and stated I know this is hard work you guys earn every $$$ you get. But if he did it at normal cost they complain to him they where over charged.

Originally posted by jjscleaning View Post
            These Homeowners acted like they owned a Sewer Cleaning business before. They knew everything!
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by jjscleaning View Post
              Had a homeowner call with a clogged sewer, took the call. Rodded the sewer, got roots out. Gave them a bill of $110.00. Oh boy did they let me have it. This was a $220,000 house. Crying over a $110.00 Bill.
              Don't beat yourself up over it too much.
              They do the same thing at a $5,000,000 house.
              The car is $220,000

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Don't beat yourself up over it too much.
                They do the same thing at a $5,000,000 house.
                The car is $220,000
                Thats how they can afford that house and car, nickel and diming us contractors.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Thats how they can afford that house and car, nickel and diming us contractors.
                  When my brother and I were kids and we got another paper route, in the "rich" part of town, we thought we hit it big. We already had the poor neighborhood and did pretty good with tips.

We figured we'd get at least double the tips in the rich neighborhood

We actually ended up with 1/4 the tips and 4 X's the complaints (paper not folded right, paper on second step not top, walks on the lawn, and blah, blah). Stingy bastards
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

And if You look in the Kids play room, You'll see a 60" Plasma TV!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

it doesn't matter if you did it for 50 bucks or 500 bucks. people are programed the th prices we charge are too much. when i first started, i discounted everything before i got pushback from a customer. then i figured out if everyone haggles prices, might as well start high then work your way down to what you really want.

Comment

$110 sounds very fair.

question is did they have any idea on what you charge or how you charge.

usually with a new customer, you need to explain your billing.

you still did it pretty cheap, just need to communicate with the customer before the job.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          When my brother and I were kids and we got another paper route, in the "rich" part of town, we thought we hit it big. We already had the poor neighborhood and did pretty good with tips.

We figured we'd get at least double the tips in the rich neighborhood

We actually ended up with 1/4 the tips and 4 X's the complaints (paper not folded right, paper on second step not top, walks on the lawn, and blah, blah). Stingy bastards
                          And they do this to kids.
                          I have a few things to say,none are O/K here.

Comment

I am really cheap, but I don't do mains for that price. they should consider themselves lucky you only charged that much. I know of a lot of contractors that raise the price with the price of the house.

Sometimes you just have to get right in a customers face and say how you fill.
                            Look they are living in a nice house. Probly doing some nice and clean office job. You Come out play in there waste and they do not think you deserve to live in a nice or even nicer house than them. Screw them. Let the big Rooter companies or the handy man take care of them.

Comment

Well, your price is cheap, and if they are bent, they'll use someone else in 3 years when the roots grow back in. They'll get charged 3 times what you charged, and figure they found the right person this time because you must have done a crappy job since they grew back in only 3 years, and this guy must be good since he charges so much. They'll call him again in a month when they are backed up again, for which they'll be charged again.

It'll be about 4-5 years before you hear from them again.

Unless the guy sells them a new line on his second or third trip.

But look on the bright side. You did some work. You got paid. Yeah you had to take some crap over it, and that sucks. But for enduring that you learned to just apologize and tell them you are too busy, and, besides, you charge too much anyway the next time they call.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X