Evacuating water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evacuating water

from pipe. What technique do you guyz use to control and evacuate a pipes worth of water inside a home?

Ran into the upstairs shower line from hell. Came in an noticed no grating on drain. Very possible that numerous children's toys are down there. Attempted to run my 700 machine about 20 feet without success and again with a different cable 30 feet without success. I then went to the roof with my 100 machine and ran 40 feet or so (4 times) until it was getting locked up so often I was afraid of not being able to retrieve it. The cable came back each time oozing black and no drain action in the shower.

Every other drain in the house works just fine and of course there is NO clean out for this drain. My thought is to find where it ends up down stairs or ties into another drain, expose, cut an clean from that location. But what to do with all that thick black H2O? The pipe would have to opened on the inside of the house since it is a common wall. This sucks!

Re: Evacuating water

Sounds like a job for the kinetic water ram, or the Rothenburger Ro-Pump
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

have you had any luck with yours? i had one at one time and it never seamed to do anything but give be a drink of water!
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

what size cable is on the 100 and 700? does anything else back up?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
          have you had any luck with yours? i had one at one time and it never seamed to do anything but give be a drink of water!
          I always have success with the water ram and Ro-Pump
          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Yea the water ram might make it drain but you get called back pretty soon because it blows a little hole in the obstruction doesn't usually clear the clog. Like a snake will.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              Yea the water ram might make it drain but you get called back pretty soon because it blows a little hole in the obstruction doesn't usually clear the clog. Like a snake will.
              Use the water ram to get the water down, then use the Ro-Pump to suck out the toys, razer blades, and bottle caps.

I had a job at a factory the second floor lunch room had a 2" floor drain clogged solid. Trouble was it was one of the floor drains with the clean out plug at the bottom of the trap. The room below it has 30' high ceilings so getting to that clean out plug was not an option. I tried with all my rodders, with different cables, cutters, cut off ends bent ends to get the rod to jump past that clean out opening but no luck.

So out came the water ram. My best buddy never liked the water ram, he thought like most of you guys that it can not clear a stoppage. I blasted it with 40 pounds of pressure, as the water drained cigarette butts, rubber gloves and other crap went down the drain and not once did it plug up again. Ever since then he has been sold on the water ram and owns one of his own as well.
              Ron's Facebook

Comment

I have the water ram it is an absolute last thing I will try and I tell the customer about what can happen. I remember using it once and after the blast (and my slight shower) the water started draining yay! then I saw it come out the bottom of the wall opened the wall to see a rubber santi blown off, guy said I was the pro and should have known better and wanted everything fixed free.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                  I have the water ram it is an absolute last thing I will try and I tell the customer about what can happen. I remember using it once and after the blast (and my slight shower) the water started draining yay! then I saw it come out the bottom of the wall opened the wall to see a rubber santi blown off, guy said I was the pro and should have known better and wanted everything fixed free.
                  I tell him the rubber santee was not code and was hidden in the wall so you are not at fault. heck cabling a line can lead to leaks. I power rodded a kitchen sink line , ran water drained great. The home owner came up stairs said she has a shower in her basement now. I opened the wall and the bottom of the horizontal run of the sink line was swiss cheesed. The rust was keeping it from leaking. She, like your customer wanted me to make the repairs for free. Of course its up to us to educate the home owner. After explaining everything to her she was more than happy to have me replace all her rotten pipes.
                  Ron's Facebook

Comment

Have you tried this. Doesn't hurt as bad as that Water Ram.

http://www.4flomax.com/

J.C.

Comment

What about a small jet with a nozzzle that has one jet out the front to blow all the sludge out and get it to drain then you can cut the pipie with out as big a mess ??
                      or put a bunch of bio clean down there and see if the bugs will eat it ?

Comment

if a k-50 or k-60 with the 5/8'' sectional cable and auger doesn't get it, nothing will.

there is not a workable drain that the 5/8'' sectional hasn't cleared.

it is user friendly and you can control it like a video game. there is no over spinning or emergency stopping a rotating drum.

if you don't have 1, i would invest in 1

you might try a shop vac and cap the vent

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Just getting in from work

Heck! I don't know how to handle this gracefully. I haven't traced or opened up the wall to see the drain pipe, but the house was built in '68 so I assume it's CI. Of course you don't really know until things are opened up. The Vent is about 7 feet in on the roof, which puts it pretty damn close to the lower 1/2 bath. Of course all fixtures downstairs drain just fine...why wouldn't they

On the spartan 700 I used 5/16 35 feet
                          On the spartan 100 I used 13/32 NI. 75 feet. Only ran about 40 feet do to the cable hanging up. I can only imagine all the crap I knocked off the pipe wall and added to my problem!

Don't know about RAM or Jetter in this situation. Personally I think there are toys down there.

I'm going to have to create some sort of damming system. I have 2 canister shop vacs.

Of course the Customer has to have this completed by this Tuesday.

Comment

No mess with vent.

J.C.

Comment

I just used the transfer pump and 150' of hose tonight to pump downstairs tub and waste system to street's manhole.Dropped it low enough to where I could open an interior wall cleanout without wasting the place.

Comment

Working...
                              X