Drum Machines Task Drain Cleaning as Less Work for Operator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drum Machines Task Drain Cleaning as Less Work for Operator

let me see if i understand ron, the auto feed was actuaaly lifting the entire machine and your guy was just stabilizing it?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      let me see if i understand ron, the auto feed was actuaaly lifting the entire machine and your guy was just stabilizing it?
      He was having some fun. The auto feed was lifting the machine, but he helped a little for the picture. Back in the day Spartan sold legs you could add to the back of the machine so you could angle it towards the clean out. My motor deck still has the spots to put the legs, but they are long time missing.

This job we where rodding needs to be jetted, it is a heavy sludge blockage about 20 feet out from the over head clean out. We used a sludge bag and we can see the water draining into the manhole, but thats only at the 5 gpm the sludge bag could provide. When the ejector pump runs it backs up, and goes down in 2 to 3 minutes. We suspect the line has a bit of a back pitch.

If the home owner decides to let me jet we have an advantage his sewer dumps right into the city's manhole so I will be able to jet from there back to the house. But to solve the problem once and for all we will need to dig from the house out approx 50' to repitch the line and install an outside clean out.

One thing i do wish I could do with my spartan that you sectional guys can do is pressure wash my cable after a rodding like that. The sludge water stunk up my whole van.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        We dont need sticken TimberWolfs here!

Now if it were just that easy to carry the machine up and down stairs like that. This Picture makes it look so lite.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          We dont need sticken TimberWolfs here!

Anyone that knows and uses that machine will get a kick out of this picture, knowing the weight of it and how crazy that picture looks.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

2 things come to mind dunbar-safety and professionalism.

safety-just letting a machine go on auto pilot is unsafe. imo you should be close by just in case it binds up and you need to stop the drum. your method seems to go down to sterotypical "it's so easy even a drain cleaner can do it" idea.

professionalism-i don't work in your area, haven't been plumbing as long as you and my business isn't as profitable as yours(yet) but i can't imagine for 1 second to let my customer catch me sleeping on the job. if i was your customer and you had me running through the house turning on water and flushing toilets THEN i find you sleeping, the first thought is "why am i paying this guy".

when i go to a customers house i solve their problems. it's a peace of mind thing when they call and don't have to worry about it. i get done, i come show them result. maybe this one of those things that work in your area but i couldn't operate like that.

my last question if your machine is struggling to handle 60' of cable, what kind of condition is your autofeed in? preventive maintance?

I wrote a long winded response to this and changed my mind because even I got bored with my response.

Here we go:

I've been running machines, drums/sectionals for years. Nothing special about my time behind the machine other than you get used to your equipment. Sitting on a stool listening to the sound of the machine, knowing steps down the stairs or a sudden change in the sound of the motor torquing will wake me up. Still, end of the day, tired, customer is pleased I'm even there.

It's okay to rest your eyes.

When I ran sectionals that spin at 600rpms, lightning fast, rapid speed, once you hang up or get "caught" in that machine, no plumber will tell me they have the fast response to let go in the time it takes to safely let go.

Those sectionals have a ton of wind-up and I've been on the bad end of burrowing into a clog where I pushed too hard, cable wound up, clutch squealing, I let go and that horrid vibration of the tension backs the cable up and out of the drain. I got so tired of pushing that cable so many times when I didn't have a third hand to engage the clutch and work it for me. I hated it.

On the drum I'm in a 2 direction function; if I start to run into a clog I instantly throw to neutral and chew. If I sit there and the motor starts to bog down even though I'm standstill in neutral, I'm pulling all the way back to the machine because I know I'm attached to something, and going forward at that point is ignorance.

If I go forward and bog down and neutral clears, go forward again and bog, drain opens? That means I'm through the obstruction and it's "safe" to keep going forward unless the motor starts to sing like it's resisting differently. Then I know I'm sitting on a wad of garbage on the end of my cable and need to pull back.

I never touched my cable in reverse, except getting that hard 10' out of the drain to get the machine to run and turn it/retract it for me. Nothing is wrong with the power feed; the machine is most vulnerable for retrieval when the cable is completely out of the machine.

As far as professionalism goes...

I showed some serious *** crack when I went down those steps with the machine, I need to work on this but it was bad. I should of had him go down first.

My sleep time was when they was upstairs, woke up when I heard footsteps which I knew would happen. I've closed my eyes before just sitting there listening to someone talk...long days do that to ya.

But here's the words that erase anything I care about that might be offensive to others:

"I found you on google" <
            "You were all over that front page for plumbers" <

"Thank you so much for coming out tonight" <

"Do you have any business cards" <

"I'll carry your footstool and wrench so you don't have to come back down" <

"We'll call you the next time we have plumbing problems, keep your number" <

"I saw your truck on your website" <

You pay for the lie detector test and I'll prove these words were spoken to me last night, take that to the bank just like I did.

At my age now I have a little bit of wisdom, and I try not to flaunt it but DAMN it feels so good to know and learn from your mistakes and execute calls from the minute phone numbers connect and you have earning potential as a result.

I'm a very easy to get along with fellow so it makes the experience with the customer a good one, even though I'm mostly called out for a bad situation.

I promise; the amount of water we ran in 40 minutes will show up on that water bill.

And I bet the last plumber didn't try that hard either. <

Comment

i use a spartan 2001 with 100 feet of magnum cable. i am 29 in reasonable shape and it will flat put it on ya to drag that out of a basement. untill recently i would rarely disassemble it to get it out of a basement.
              about 3 monthes ago i was pulling it out of a basement, up 6 steps in a quad level, got to the top step and it slipped and jerked my back into a knot. i manned up and pulled it out, got payed the drove myself to the hospital.

Comment

[QUOTE=DUNBAR;

When I ran sectionals that spin at 600rpms, lightning fast, rapid speed, once you hang up or get "caught" in that machine, no plumber will tell me they have the fast response to let go in the time it takes to safely let go.

[/QUOTE]

dunbar, we all know the most dangerous part of drain cleaning is the first 0-15' of cable out. with a drum and little cable out, if you torque up, you better be real fast on stopping the drum or you'll have a nice shiny cable choke chain

with a sectional, i have 100% control of my cable from 0'-150'

i can torque it up as much as i feel safe or i can inch it along. i never have to worry about a flywheel affect.

in the 2-3 years i've been running my k-60, i've only damaged 1 cable and that was in an area drain with styrene pipe and it went into the soil. i had to cut it off and dig to fix the pipe that was junk to start with.

the time i had a cable double back on me, the cable was not damaged and i still use it.

the sectional is a forgiving machine.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

ive been using 1065 for over 30 yrs im 53 yrs old and usually clean sewers by myself, i couldnt imagine myself with a sectional, i carry 50ft in the drum and keep 3 tires with 50 ft in each on van. when i go up steps i hold on with both hands and use legs to pull. when i load it in my f 550 van i have a small crane with winch, this works great for me, its hard to teach a old dog new tricks who knows maybe someday ill try a k60? but for now i really wuvs my 1065!

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip
                    Okay, you got my attention.

Is there a video showing a k-60 at work?
                    with hundreds and hundreds of k-60 post from me and i finally got your attention.

what do i have to do, clean drains naked

there is a training video online that looks like an older video.

i might just have to make a real life training video with all the tips and tricks. i'll shoot it in real time and show you just how fast it can be unloaded, setup, run, and put away.

i guarantee you that i can be up and running faster than a drummer and have 90' with me too. no winches, ramps, nothing. i can go up and down stairs and ladders too. there is not a situation that i can't get my machine into. it's even been on top of the ladder with me.

i'll dig up my helmet cam unless i can get the film crew.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Comment

dunbar, i'll take you as a man of your word and no lie detector is needed. your way of doing a good job is different than my way of doing a good job, way different.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82c9...C51603&index=6

here's a job i did that i entered in the roudup contest. this is with the general innercore cable.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                            i use a spartan 2001 with 100 feet of magnum cable. i am 29 in reasonable shape and it will flat put it on ya to drag that out of a basement. untill recently i would rarely disassemble it to get it out of a basement.
                            about 3 monthes ago i was pulling it out of a basement, up 6 steps in a quad level, got to the top step and it slipped and jerked my back into a knot. i manned up and pulled it out, got payed the drove myself to the hospital.
                            no way do I pull big machines up and down stares with the drum attached. I'm to old. My way is slow but my back appreciates it. My machine allows for pulling the drum fast. I would be forced to a sectional only if I could not pull the drum off my machine.

Comment

here's a job i did that i entered in the roudup contest. this is with the general innercore cable.
                              I found this on Google last night, which is why I deleted the post. There's also one from Russia using a older machine.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              with hundreds and hundreds of k-60 post from me and i finally got your attention.

there is a training video online that looks like an older video.

i might just have to make a real life training video with all the tips and tricks. i'll shoot it in real time and show you just how fast it can be unloaded, setup, run, and put away.

i guarantee you that i can be up and running faster than a drummer and have 90' with me too. no winches, ramps, nothing. i can go up and down stairs and ladders too. there is not a situation that i can't get my machine into. it's even been on top of the ladder with me.

i'll dig up my helmet cam unless i can get the film crew.
                              A real life, down 'n dirty video would be good.

How long are the cable lengths? How easy to they seperate/click together?

Does the cable get past tees? We got more hacked sewer jobs with every imaginable fitting here. My biggest problem is getting past 'em.
                              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                                I found this on Google last night, which is why I deleted the post. There's also one from Russia using a older machine.

A real life, down 'n dirty video would be good.

How long are the cable lengths? How easy to they separate/click together?

the 7/8'' are 15' and the 5/8'' are either 7.5' or 10'.

takes less than a second to snap or unsnap them. a ground down scratch awl or a ground down phillips screwdriver is the tip of the day

Does the cable get past tees? We got more hacked sewer jobs with every imaginable fitting here. My biggest problem is getting past 'em.
                                the advantage of the sectional cable is the flexibility of the cable. it's flexible enough to get past tees and yet stiff enough to cut roots.

not uncommon for me to access 1.5'' drains and clear 4'' lines with my 7/8'' cable.

drip, have you been ignoring my hundreds of post discussing this

do some searches and every picture and answer will already be there for you

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X