X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Machines Task Drain Cleaning as Less Work for Operator

Lots of reasons to explain the how and why, but in the past few days I've been using my drain equipment a lot and I was respecting the value of "where I was" and "where I am" now.

The few drains I did recently proved that I need the handle I move 2" to the right or left to make the drains open up.

Now when I get paid those fees to rod a drain, it's the equipment mostly, not the operator that is doing all the work. On my second to last call, I put my machine in slow return mode and the sound of the machine running with me leaning against the water heater, I actually dozed off for a few minutes and got woke up by the customer coming down the steps.

The machine was in auto-pilot, slowly inching back out of the drain till forward spinning, hard bent as a whip scouring the walls of the piping while the 2 customers are running around the house flushing the toilets 10 times straight...while I watch for water to show back up stating there's something wrong.

I always put the customer to work as I'm not running around the house turning the water on. The command I give actually breaks barriers. Why? Because the last guy didn't instruct them to run water, or he basically ran a laundry tub and called it good.

Can't do that.

Hydro-flushing will cleanse that line with abrupt back to back toilet flushes, along with every single faucet running in the home.

My cable on this particular job would have many thinking the cable was jammed in the drain....and actually it was. Once I stretched my cable through the drain to the main sewer, even the machine didn't want to bring it back. I manhandled 10' back into the machine to get the powerfeed to grab and do what I would hate to do at age 40, middle aged man...

work physically to get the cable back. Once I got it to turn and pull back, I watched that machine struggle to bring 60' of continuous cable back into the machine.

Once the cable was retrieved, the debri (tampons and wipes) was only on the end of the cable since the cable is tight wound and won't allow hair and roots, the nasty stuff all to come out. I'd rather see it all stay in the drain where it belongs, broken up and sent to the main sewer. I'm all for souveniers but you'll never retrieve all that's in a drain.

I tilted the machine forward, drained the drum a bit and rolled the cords around it and off it went, up the steps. I have it now where I can throw my footstool/gloves/pipe wrench all on that machine and wheel it all down the steps, one trip down.

I like the money made from this machine as it has made itself ten-fold in earnings along with giving me the ability to not be so physically worn down when more than a couple drain jobs are involved in a day's work.

A great endorsement of product when someone with physical limitations can still operate equipment and perform the task of drain cleaning without too much effort, and provides the benefit of all types of drain blockage removals.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Drum Machines Task Drain Cleaning as Less Work for Operator

so many things wrong with the original post it's unsettling. sometimes you really make me wonder dunbar.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      so many things wrong with the original post it's unsettling. sometimes you really make me wonder dunbar.

This isn't another drum vs. sectional discussion. I read my post just for you, out loud to decipher where the "unsettling" part is and I don't see it.

I was tired when I wrote it, but everything I wrote is true, factual.

Bring it on cabana boy!~
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I use a drum, But I think i'd rather manually feed a sectional cable than carry that monster drum down another flight of stairs.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Good point, that's why I don't own a 1065, the machine that provided my "almost" career ending back injury.

I've been using my 300 with the smaller drum with aggressive C cutters, until last night.

I'm going to anchor my camera to my machine and show everyone what a difference pneumatic tires make when they're barely inflated (6 pounds) and go up and down stairs. Takes the hard shock to the upper body right out.

I haven't compared the weight of an 81 with cable against the K-60, but I've been having trouble with the weight issue of my small machine, almost like it's getting heavier every day I get older.

I don't mind it if I have something of equal weight in the other hand, but fat chance of that happening.
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-21-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Every experienced journeyman brings something to the table. I like the reason to flush both
            toilets at once while rodding. Remember this Man had Many Years under His belt when You were a Seaman recruit .
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

baby wipes require removing or knowing you flushed them out to the city.

a sectional cable grabs them the entire length of the cable. not just the cutter or auger.

baby wipes left in a pipe have a good chance of re-plugging unless you remove them.

if all it takes is to flush both toilets while rodding, to flush out the wipes, then i wouldn't be going out on a friday night emergency call to save the day on a 4 story building backing up into the 1st. floor marble tub.

yes i have pictures

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Dunbar an M100 may be a back saver you could use on those indoor soft stoppages (4" or less).

Sectional may have a slight edge on it's ability to pull back wipes and white mice but both cables heads will clog up quick when dealing with them.
                That being said it then comes down to being able to pull the cable back in and clean the head then send it back out for another bite.
                I have had days where I pulled a 100' of sectional 4 or 5 times to get through a baby wipe / diaper blockage A drum with an autofeed would have the advantage in this situation since it would save time and wear and tear on my back IMO.

I still can't bring myself to use a sectional machine inside a customers house, I know it can be done but why do it when that is the other great advantage of a drum machine.

My sectional machines (K60 and K1500) are my workhorses,when they have room to run are unstoppable. My drum machines are my surgical instruments.

Bill

Comment

About 3 weeks ago I borrowed a k60 again and used it on 2 jobs. I will right a seperate thread about my experience, I will say after both jobs I was wore plumb slap out. The next day I was sore as could be. I would love to have a K60 because of the versatility, but after those 2 jobs I decided the price I will pay for one is going to be a lot less. Do I like sectionals? Heck yes. Plus I like the safty of one, let go of the handle and all torque is gone. But I really like that auto feed. Sitting on a bucket and letting the machine do the work aint bad.

Comment

We dont need sticken TimberWolfs here!

Attached Files
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Which works best when using the drum:

Time and materials?

Flat Rate?

J.C.

Comment

2 things come to mind dunbar-safety and professionalism.

safety-just letting a machine go on auto pilot is unsafe. imo you should be close by just in case it binds up and you need to stop the drum. your method seems to go down to sterotypical "it's so easy even a drain cleaner can do it" idea.

professionalism-i don't work in your area, haven't been plumbing as long as you and my business isn't as profitable as yours(yet) but i can't imagine for 1 second to let my customer catch me sleeping on the job. if i was your customer and you had me running through the house turning on water and flushing toilets THEN i find you sleeping, the first thought is "why am i paying this guy".

when i go to a customers house i solve their problems. it's a peace of mind thing when they call and don't have to worry about it. i get done, i come show them result. maybe this one of those things that work in your area but i couldn't operate like that.

my last question if your machine is struggling to handle 60' of cable, what kind of condition is your autofeed in? preventive maintance?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Which works best when using the drum:

Time and materials?

Flat Rate?

J.C.

Here we go..... I will start

-If you are flat rate you need to use a drum machine since it is faster and you make more $$$$ the faster you are flat rate...

-If you are Hourly you need to use sectional machines since they take so long that way you can make more money.

Last edited by OkieBill; 11-21-2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

ron, that must be staged photo where the drum was empty.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ron, that must be staged photo where the drum was empty.
                              75' in the drum with another 75' in the sewer. He was rolling it up and the machine pulled it self up towards the overhead sewer. Still was a fun picture.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X