X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failing pvc pipe joints ?

Lately like in the past 3 months, it seems ive had alot more calls for clogged sewer lines in homes built in the early 70's with pvc pipe and they have all had roots in the joints, does this mean the pvc pipe joints are starting to fail (more future work) or just dumb luck whats your opinion ?

Re: failing pvc pipe joints ?

I've seen a few but it's always due to someone not gluing at all or they think primer is just a waste of money.

To be honest, I hope your on to something with the glue failing.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
      Lately like in the past 3 months, it seems ive had alot more calls for clogged sewer lines in homes built in the early 70's with pvc pipe and they have all had roots in the joints, does this mean the pvc pipe joints are starting to fail (more future work) or just dumb luck whats your opinion ?
      Roots will get into any type of pipe that has a joint. Many times I heard home owners tell me that "Joe Shmoe Plumbing" told them if they replace their sewer with all plastic they will never have roots again. Thats a flat out lie.

One thing I learned from my father and grandfather, if the pipe is installed correctly, it takes approximately 20 years for the roots to get into the joints and cause a problem. Once people have the problem of a root stoppage then it will need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

The advantage plastic pipe has over clay sewer tiles is you can get them in longer lengths SDR 26 comes in 14' lengths, and you can get Schedule 40 in 20' lengths so their are less joints in the pipe, so there are less spots for the roots to grow into the pipe. As where Clay came in 2', 4' and 6' lengths. The 2' lengths where the most common used around here.

NOTE** Joe Shmoe Plumbing is a fictitious name If there happens to be a Joe Shmoe Plumbing it is purely a coincidence.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

we had a large class action law suite affecting abs pipe. the issue was the resins that were used were "non virgin" and over a period of years, the glue would burn through the joint and create a hairline crack at the joint.

the underground would get roots and the above ground would eventually leak.

google "non virgin abs pipe resin class action law suit" http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...p?t=680&page=7

rick.

the good old days, plumbdog, plumber, imported by plumber rick mark
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Betcha a dollar the O. D. wasn't reamed.

Comment

Doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I just haven't experienced it yet. Can someone post a pic or vid of a properly glued ABS or PVC joint that roots penetrated?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I just haven't experienced it yet. Can someone post a pic or vid of a properly glued ABS or PVC joint that roots penetrated?

Thanks.

J.C.
              I will make a video of the next one I come across. But just think about it. The feeder roots start of finer than the human hair, they will find there way into the joints. and start to grow.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                we had a large class action law suite affecting abs pipe. The issue was the resins that were used were "non virgin" And over a period of years, the glue would burn through the joint and create a hairline crack at the joint.

The underground would get roots and the above ground would eventually leak.

Google "non virgin abs pipe resin class action law suit" http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...p?t=680&page=7

rick.

The good old days, plumbdog, plumber, imported by plumber rick mark
                he said pvc
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good joint doesn't have voids.

Comment

so far on properly glued pvc, I've only seen root intrusions where big rocks got dropped during backfill, or at the fernco where they tie onto existing clay.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                    X