X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving Day

I've worked many a Thanksgiving. It's Christmas tree season and the guys harvesting the trees don't take the day off. They seem to think they need their portable toilets cleaned so I worked. Some years an employee would help, some years it would be just me. This year we got damn near everything done today (Wed.) and the rest we can finish up on Friday so we don't have to service toilets. I do have to go in to the office tomorow so I'll check the answering machine to see if there are any calls that I need to cover. If it's septic work I'm not going out cheap though. Usually if its backing up they've neglected it, so they deserve to pay me more to come out on a holiday.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Dunbar. That gives a new meaning to " fixing a drip"

Comment

Well its noon my time and ive already unclogged 2 sewers and people havent even started putting potato peels down the disposal yet.. I love the holiday emergency rates today will pay for my Families christmas !!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=DanLawrence;264239][LEFT][LEFT]I usually go down town Salem and dish up turkey dinners for the homeless. It's one of the most heart breaking things I have ever seen. Single mothers coming in with babies and families that have lost everything due to job loss and what not.

It's sad and sure there are plenty of alcoholics and druggies but a few years ago I reluctantly got dragged into helping pass out meals down town that night there was this girl she was 19 and just had a baby. It was really cold that night dropping into the 30's. I had watched her come in to the packed room and stand in line with her baby. She ate her meal and then left. I went outside to see where she had gone and she was on a bench. I went and sat down next to her and asked where she was going. She said she didn't know. That broke my heart...she told me her story she ran away at 18 from an abusive home and moved in with her boyfriend she got pregnant and he took off and she got evicted once she had the baby and couldn't work for several weeks. I offered her a place to crash for a few weeks at our church. I told her it's not much but there is a nursery with a crib and a cot and we will make sure there is plenty of food for the both of them. She said that would be great, I told her to wait there and I would have one of the girls helping out drive her over there. When I came back she was gone. I don't blame her she probably didn't trust me and with her background I can't say I would have either if I was in her shoes. Ever since then I work on Thanksgiving and not so reluctantly.

I am telling you this not for any recognition but some of you mentioned you have nothing going and plan on working. You might check around and see how you can help one of the local food shelters or a church serving meals. It's just not the helping others it's the helping yourself. I can't tell you how much joy I get out of doing this every year.

AFTER 30 PLUS YEARS DOING SERVICE CALLS, WHEN I FIRST BECAME DISABLED I WAS ONE OF THOSE HOMELESS PEOPLE OUT ON THE STREET
          AND I APPRECIATED THAT HOLIDAY MEAL ! !

AND EVEN THOUGH I AM ON MY OWN, I STILL APPRECIATE THE FOLKS WHO
          WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP PEOPLE DOWN AND OUT ON THEIR LUCK!
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Well, as of 11 am no calls on the machine. If they call now they are out of luck.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

sitting home alone with the stuffed animals. Got 2 calls so far. They want me to come out tomorrow. First thing in the morning. Also got a few emails but I am not sure if they are real or not

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                I've worked many a Thanksgiving. It's Christmas tree season and the guys harvesting the trees don't take the day off. They seem to think they need their portable toilets cleaned so I worked. Some years an employee would help, some years it would be just me. This year we got damn near everything done today (Wed.) and the rest we can finish up on Friday so we don't have to service toilets. I do have to go in to the office tomorow so I'll check the answering machine to see if there are any calls that I need to cover. If it's septic work I'm not going out cheap though. Usually if its backing up they've neglected it, so they deserve to pay me more to come out on a holiday.

Good point, when things got slow in the winter here I spent some time working for a Christmas tree company called Oregon Select Christmas trees and I don't remember taking off Thanksgiving.

Comment

got lucky with no calls today. i expect tomorrow will be a bear. it is what it is

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Thanksgiving came and went no phone calls. Thank goodness House full of family and GOOD EATS. Only call I got was an automated bill collector for someone I never heard of.
                    Now its Friday and it is still quiet small town everyone is shopping Black friday deals. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Surprisingly, only one call last night and it wasn't an emergency. So I'll be taking care of it after I finish my coffee. I'll have to wait to see how today goes.
                      The Other Rick

Comment

No calls yesterday, and sadly none today. I am going to go off and test 4 RPZ's that need to get done before Dec 4th.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

had 3 sewers today-2 60 footers and a 125 footer, had them all done within 3 hrs. then went and reset a toilet. 1 sewer tommorrow 150 ft. old clay tile and lots of trees!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X