X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to clean out a 12" cement drain pipe

I need to clean out composted leaves out of a 12" cement drain. If I use a standard snake with the small heads I run the risk of the cable twisting and breaking. Are there heads in the 10 to 12" range? Any advice on alternate methods?

Re: What to use to clean out a 12" cement drain pipe

Originally posted by rainharvest View Post
    I need to clean out composted leaves out of a 12" cement drain. If I use a standard snake with the small heads I run the risk of the cable twisting and breaking. Are there heads in the 10 to 12" range? Any advice on alternate methods?
    It would help to know how long a line you are working with but if it is anything longer than 20' or so you will need a large jetter or a rodder like the K-1000.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

About 50 to 75 feet. I am on the install side and this will be my first cleaning. How do these others operate?

Comment

You might want to reconsider your situation.

Having never used a drain cleaning machine and starting on a 12" is just NOT safe.
        The chances of you binding up are pretty good. Ever see what happens to someone that gets caught up in a snake?
        If your lucky you'll only bind up and get your snake stuck and have to call in the excavator.

Besides, I don't think you are going to to "clean" a 12" using a normal machine. You might be able to poke a hole in it to get it flowing, but not truly clean it. Maybe if you had a municipal type rodder you could do it.

Bigger pipes require bigger toys.

I think having someone jet this pipe would be your best bet.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Sounds to me like you will be in need of a big vac truck like they clean out main sewer lines with.

Is the pipe plugged solid or are the leaves just laying in the bottom of the pipe. What kind of a drain line is this, in other word what is on both ends, just daylight? I am thinking a 2 1/2" fire hose if there is a hydrant close by.

G3

Comment

your best bet is to hire a commercial jetting company to jet upstream if possible and vac out the debris as it breaks free.

learning on a 10'' or 12'' line could be your last time

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X