X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/4 lead line.

i ran into this for the third time today. The h.o. said that the tub was stopped up, and she called r rooter and the wanna-be tried cabling the tub through the tub shoe. well he was unsuccessful and he poked a hole in the bottom of the trip waste and overflow. well i took it off and looked into the trap, which was pacted full. i cut the lead trap off and repiped everthing. i turned the water on and it was still plugged.
    my question is, what is the recomended machine, cable and head to clean a 1 1/4 lead line?
    the only thing i was comfortable running was a 1/4 cable that i cut the drop head off of. i pushed it out as far as i could till i hit the blockage. i stepped on the peddle for as little time as possible and the water went down. pulled back a clump of hair. everything is good, but i wanna know if there is somthing a little safer than risking poking a hole in the pipe.

Re: 1 1/4 lead line.

I've done hundreds of tubs with a 1/4" cable, through the drain and through the overflow. Only problems occurred with clearly rotted pipe or with improper installations.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

but what if you were going through the overflow not knowing if it was a lead trap. what head would you use so you would not poke a hole in the bottom?

Comment

I *always* verify the condition of the trap!
        If i'm going to blow a hole in the thing I
        need to be ready to minimize water damage to ceilings below
        should anything go south!

Comment

At our old house, the wife and daughter had the tub line plugged up with hair. I crawled under the house with a sawzall, cut the pipe off, drug a vacuum hose under from one of the portable toilet trucks and sucked it out! I sucked out the kitchen line a couple of times too. Had to plug the vent for that one though.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
            At our old house, the wife and daughter had the tub line plugged up with hair. I crawled under the house with a sawzall, cut the pipe off, drug a vacuum hose under from one of the portable toilet trucks and sucked it out! I sucked out the kitchen line a couple of times too. Had to plug the vent for that one though.

That's what I am talking about

Comment

In the ~ 8 years I've been cleaning drains, I've seen 2 drum traps (I assume that is what you are talking about). One was abandoned; I just happened to be in the crawlspace and see it still hanging there. The other was replaced.

I know of no way to snake through a drum trap. But, obviously, I have little experience with them.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X