Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Bio-Ben, Pipe Shield, Bio-Choice and other sludge eating bacteria Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio-Ben, Pipe Shield, Bio-Choice and other sludge eating bacteria

I have recently discovered that many of the so called "exclusive" liquid bacteria treatments are all made by the same company. This manufacturer even has a website where they advertise that you can have your own special formula which is unique and have it packaged with your logo, name, whatever you want on the bottle. I have seen a couple of different forumulas and the only difference as far as I can tell is different food coloring. They all claim to do the same stuff, cost the same amount, and are used in exactly the same manner.

It would be rather interesting to have a Bio-Rick or something with a picture of rick hugging a K-60 on the bottle :-D.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has used the stuff and what their experiences and opinions are on bacterial drain maintenance..

Based on my name I'm sure most of you can guess my experience with it. My opinion on the issue is mixed. I know that it can work based on tests done in my own home and from what I have personally seen in a grease trap with an auto injection system. I also know that in my own home I have seen it working but not quite as well as I would hope or expect.

From a customer's standpoint I would think that if they have repeated sludge problems they're doing something wrong or the drain is improperly plumbed and using bacteria is a waste of money. I could also see how some would not care to change their gravy down the drain ways and wouldn't mind paying extra or the cost of repiping with PVC or whatever would be too expensive.

From the shop's perspective it could be good because it brings in more money. I've had customers who bought a bottle when I was there to fix something other than a drain and they mentioned a slow drain or a sludge problem that they've had. It's another option to give but also that option could take away a potential drain cleaning which would work out to more money.

By the way, I want to make sure everyone knows I'm talking about the vegetative liquid bacteria solutions, not the spore forming (and clog forming) bacteria.

Re: Bio-Ben, Pipe Shield, Bio-Choice and other sludge eating bacteria

My gut says it's a load of overpriced BS and a way to upsell jobs.

That said, I must admit I've not taken the time to check the stuff out. But, to take the time to buy the stuff, apply it, monitor the application, usage, and effects, and figure out if it is cost effective for a customer... forget it. Too much of my time in that for it to ever pay out for that customer.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Whats the website of the company that makes this stuff. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
        I have recently discovered that many of the so called "exclusive" liquid bacteria treatments are all made by the same company. This manufacturer even has a website where they advertise that you can have your own special formula which is unique and have it packaged with your logo, name, whatever you want on the bottle. I have seen a couple of different forumulas and the only difference as far as I can tell is different food coloring. They all claim to do the same stuff, cost the same amount, and are used in exactly the same manner.

It would be rather interesting to have a Bio-Rick or something with a picture of rick hugging a K-60 on the bottle :-D.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has used the stuff and what their experiences and opinions are on bacterial drain maintenance..

Based on my name I'm sure most of you can guess my experience with it. My opinion on the issue is mixed. I know that it can work based on tests done in my own home and from what I have personally seen in a grease trap with an auto injection system. I also know that in my own home I have seen it working but not quite as well as I would hope or expect.

From a customer's standpoint I would think that if they have repeated sludge problems they're doing something wrong or the drain is improperly plumbed and using bacteria is a waste of money. I could also see how some would not care to change their gravy down the drain ways and wouldn't mind paying extra or the cost of repiping with PVC or whatever would be too expensive.

From the shop's perspective it could be good because it brings in more money. I've had customers who bought a bottle when I was there to fix something other than a drain and they mentioned a slow drain or a sludge problem that they've had. It's another option to give but also that option could take away a potential drain cleaning which would work out to more money.

By the way, I want to make sure everyone knows I'm talking about the vegetative liquid bacteria solutions, not the spore forming (and clog forming) bacteria.
        If you are going to install one of those you'll want to check with the sewer agency that it drains to. Sometimes they are illegal. Basically they keep the grease imulsified (sp?) long enough to get to the sewer pipe where it starts to coagulate again.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

It supposedly doesn't emulsify the grease it actually eats it. When I opened up the grease trap in question there was still a build up but I did notice that it didn't smell anywhere near as bad as it used to. Dunno what that means exactly but I have seen it work in my own pipes to get rid of sludge.

I don't want to be a salesman for this company so I don't want to link to it but here is what the website says about the auto injection system:

"
          Live vegetative cultures are dispensed via the pre-programmed auto-dispensing system. Once Biowhatever is in the drain lines and grease trap, the friendly cultures take over, immediately consuming oil, grease and organic matter. Unlike other products that emulsify grease and oil, (product name) literally consumes it, converting the food wastes into harmless natural substances.
          (product name..) is the most effective microbial drain treatment available. (bio-whatever) contains no emulsifiers, surfactants, or added enzymes.
          NO harsh chemicals, NO pre-mixing, and NO wait time."

Comment

I used to work for the same name franchise you do now and am very familiar with Bio-choice and the company that makes it. I was told to sell it and was preached to about how great it is. I'm not sold on how well these bacteria really eat away at sludge on a pipe until I see a few examples. I do know that I cabled lines and sold the product as an add-on. I was called back on a few of those lines and was told the product didn't have enough time to really work. Jetting those same lines removed tons of buildup and eliminated the problems immediately. Whether the product really helps eliminate future buildup is sketchy. No doubt, the stuff is very expensive. Owning my own business now, I will not sell it until I am completely convinced. Right now, I've got some doubts!!!

Comment

Working...
            X