No announcement yet.

Drain Field repair with Roto Rooter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain Field repair with Roto Rooter?

In reply to "ace plumbers" additional questions;

1. I do not know yet if the gurgling has stopped cause haven't had the water on since the tank pumping last week. I am thinking that it won't gurgle now.

2. Prior to pumping, when I exposed the top of the tank and used water inside the house, the water would came out of the tank between the tank and the lid, so, the level in the tank was definitely above the outlet pipe, which, when exposed, was completely clogged up and not passing water out. However, for what its worth, the system wasn't backing up into the basement. It did just gurgle and was seeping out of the tank.

3. You are correct that we do not know yet if the system will take water, now that the outlet pipe is being fixed and the tank is not yet filled. I figure it will take about 600 flushes to fill the tank (1000 gal. +/-) and that will be a while so I guess I will for now, just fix the outlet pipe. I will put in a couple of cleanouts right outside of the tank with one going toward the tank and one going toward the drainfield. Then wait and see. Even with the roots, the system make take water enough so it works for me, since the use is minimal. larryn

Comment

Larryn, thank you for the information. If you have one line going strait from the tank, that's bad news. The reason why I say that is if that one line is clogged then your whole system fails and your up a creek. It does sounds like you have abs or orangeburg depending on if it has been replaced before or not.

I would say replace the line.

Breid is right that tree roots can grow for several hundred feet but that is not typical. Most tree roots will only grew a few feet outside their drip line. Old trees during years of drought or severe hot weather will extend their roots further but in most cases you will find this:

Comment

I've always been told that the root system can be double the size of the canopy. This looks like what your diagram is showing (if it's somewhat to scale). Or are you saying just a few feet?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by larryn View Post
          In reply to "ace plumbers" additional questions;

1. I do not know yet if the gurgling has stopped cause haven't had the water on since the tank pumping last week. I am thinking that it won't gurgle now.

2. Prior to pumping, when I exposed the top of the tank and used water inside the house, the water would came out of the tank between the tank and the lid, so, the level in the tank was definitely above the outlet pipe, which, when exposed, was completely clogged up and not passing water out. However, for what its worth, the system wasn't backing up into the basement. It did just gurgle and was seeping out of the tank.

3. You are correct that we do not know yet if the system will take water, now that the outlet pipe is being fixed and the tank is not yet filled. I figure it will take about 600 flushes to fill the tank (1000 gal. +/-) and that will be a while so I guess I will for now, just fix the outlet pipe. I will put in a couple of cleanouts right outside of the tank with one going toward the tank and one going toward the drainfield. Then wait and see. Even with the roots, the system make take water enough so it works for me, since the use is minimal. larryn

Some summer camps around here are restricted to holding tanks only.
          They basically use a sealed off septic tank and have it pumped as needed.

You can always tell the one's that are on holding tank restrictions by going into the bathroom. They always have a sign reading "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down"

With the amount of use your system will see, maybe it's worth just having it pumped as needed??? (I guess that would depend on fees in your area)

If you decide to do this you will want to plug the outlet end to prevent ground water from entering.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            I've always been told that the root system can be double the size of the canopy. This looks like what your diagram is showing (if it's somewhat to scale). Or are you saying just a few feet?

Depends on the age of the tree and climate of the area we are speaking about. What I was trying to show is that most root systems don't grow more than a few feet outside the drip line. Some of the books say they rarely extend outside the drip line but I don't buy that. I have an old tree in my font yard that goes about ten feet outside the drip line. The standard that is used when discussing root growth is the drip line, though I believe once they get 25-30years on them and go through a few dry seasons they will continue growing to look for moisture. Allso tree roots will grow if the yard is dug up or tilled to replant grass, gardens, flower beds, ect. Loose soil promotes root growth, that's another reason why roots like sewer lines because the ground was dug up and the loose soil will pomote root growth in that area.

Comment

Dan,in order to promote this thread drift a little further,
              here in Minneapolis we just had 2 summers of drought.
              So were are seeing very aggressive root growth in lines.
              Had 2 *grow* back inside of 6 months!
              (Trees close to the house and right on top of the sewers)
              Had root growth in a line where the tree above it had been removed
              10-12 years ago!
              ...Again on top of the line,close to the house.
              Invert of sewers here start on an average of 8'.

Comment

As septic contractor and drain cleaner a little jetting never hurts. If the outgoing line is easy to get at, jetting the roots and bio mass out of the pipe may help. If the field is shot it will not help. No soilds should be going into the field. It not like paper and soild make it that far, just the treated water. You could try some drain field snake oil too. I never have had any luck with it, but its cheaper than digging. You can spend 500 to 1000 dollars and get no where or you may get a couple more years out of it. If your only option was a holding tank I would spend a little time and money to get the thing looked at before you start digging.

If it lasted 30 years or more you got your moneys worth out the system. Next time think about pumping it more, it will last longer. If the laws are looser about what you can replace on the system a new field may be an option. We dont do any repairs around here because the laws are very firm on what can be done to the system. All new system or jet it and hope it works. Dont get caught doing Midnight septic work. Your neigbors may not like your handy work if they got stuck putting in a new system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                  Dan,in order to promote this thread drift a little further,
                  here in Minneapolis we just had 2 summers of drought.
                  So were are seeing very aggressive root growth in lines.
                  Had 2 *grow* back inside of 6 months!
                  (Trees close to the house and right on top of the sewers)
                  Had root growth in a line where the tree above it had been removed
                  10-12 years ago!
                  ...Again on top of the line,close to the house.
                  Invert of sewers here start on an average of 8'.
                  I talked to a lot of home owners calling to see about what plumbing in their area offers our product and a lot of them are from So. Cal. I have been told by many home owners they are having the line snaked every 3-4 months.

Comment

As a follow up; I ended up repairing the pipe leaving the septic tank; installed two cleanouts; one looking back at the tank and one looking toward the drain field. Then, I put in a bunch of copper sulfate into the cleanout heading toward the drain field and flushed it with a gallon or so of water. Since the tank has not filled yet and the cold weather has kept us from using the house, I won't know if the system will work until the summer comes and the tank fills up. I figure it will take about 600 flushes or so and that will take us a while. So, thanks to all who responded and I will definitely let the group know the status once the tank fills. Its been a pleasure to post here. You folks are the most active and helpful of the trades. larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryn View Post
                      As a follow up; I ended up repairing the pipe leaving the septic tank; installed two cleanouts; one looking back at the tank and one looking toward the drain field. Then, I put in a bunch of copper sulfate into the cleanout heading toward the drain field and flushed it with a gallon or so of water. Since the tank has not filled yet and the cold weather has kept us from using the house, I won't know if the system will work until the summer comes and the tank fills up. I figure it will take about 600 flushes or so and that will take us a while. So, thanks to all who responded and I will definitely let the group know the status once the tank fills. Its been a pleasure to post here. You folks are the most active and helpful of the trades. larry
                      Usually fills much faster than you think if plumbed correctly.

Everytime you turn on a faucet, shower, dishwasher, washing machine, or flush it goes to the tank.

Good luck and post results.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                      X