Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposal unclog

(Posting this for homeowners)

Have used this trick alot, and I try it before EVERY sink unclog.
    Come to the house, Mrs. Smith tells me her sink is stopped up. Okay cool.

I never take a customers word for ANYTHING.

So what I do is run the water, til it starts to fill the sink bowls. Then I plug up the non-disposal side. And swing the faucet head over the disposal side and continue filling, then I run the disposal.

Sometimes this will unstop the sink. Should I have just took their word for it and pulled traps and ran my sink machine? Sure, that would be the "proper" way to unstop that sink. But, it saves them around 70 bucks, no mess, and I am in and out in under 15 minutes. Customer is really happy, and they will most likely be able to use this next time, to MAYBE unstop the sink. If it doesn't work, ohwell call a pro. But if it DOES work, how much easier was that? As opposed to calling a plumber, scheduling, having him come out, and fix the problem?

Hope this helps some of you out there!

Re: Disposal unclog

That does not help me pay my mortgage, insurance and other expenses to run a business.

Comment

Makes a mess when you blow a plastic trap joint apart under Mrs. Smiths sink full of water and grease using this technique.

That is when I stopped doing it

Comment

If the p traps are in good shape, and everything is properly tightened, then this won't happen.
        If it does, happen, willing to bet you should have either checked them first, or they needed to be replaced anyways. Tried this trick probably 200 times, not once did anything blow up.
        And even if it did, I carry a cordless shopvac, a bucket, a sponge and dish soap. Would be a mere, inconvience. I can't spell that word.

Sure the homeowner is not going to know how to check the traps, but even if he blows stuff up, he was going to call you anyways.

As far as paying the mortgage goes, this was for the homeowner.
        Even then, when it works, I GUARANTEE they are going to tell at LEAST 6 people that DAY. And it will leave a very good impression about your business ethics. Unless, you hate word of mouth and repeat business?

Comment

........ spel chec.. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            Makes a mess when you blow a plastic trap joint apart under Mrs. Smiths sink full of water and grease using this technique.

Which is the very exact reason a plunger is the worst tool in a plumbing truck to resolve a clogged drain of this nature, including lavatory drains.

Everybody save their "But, but...if I can....."

because mechanical method (cable drain cleaning) provides the best application for the charge to the customer.

10 out of 10 customers will agree for their money spent.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

Have used this trick alot, and I try it before EVERY sink unclog.
              Come to the house, Mrs. Smith tells me her sink is stopped up. Okay cool.

I never take a customers word for ANYTHING.

So what I do is run the water, til it starts to fill the sink bowls. Then I plug up the non-disposal side. And swing the faucet head over the disposal side and continue filling, then I run the disposal.

Sometimes this will unstop the sink. Should I have just took their word for it and pulled traps and ran my sink machine? Sure, that would be the "proper" way to unstop that sink. But, it saves them around 70 bucks, no mess, and I am in and out in under 15 minutes. Customer is really happy, and they will most likely be able to use this next time, to MAYBE unstop the sink. If it doesn't work, ohwell call a pro. But if it DOES work, how much easier was that? As opposed to calling a plumber, scheduling, having him come out, and fix the problem?

Hope this helps some of you out there!
              This is what we call a HACK!

Really saves them money ?? If you have to return to snake the line in a month or a year
              To snake the drain because you thought you were doing them a favor.
              Save them $70 bucks now plus the cost to come out and do it again saves them nothing. Do the job right the first time and you will save them money. Do a great job and get more referrals for fixing the problem the first time.
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

I usually put the bucket underneath right from the get go. I assume something is going to break.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  This is what we call a HACK!

Really saves them money ?? If you have to return to snake the line in a month or a year
                  To snake the drain because you thought you were doing them a favor.
                  Save them $70 bucks now plus the cost to come out and do it again saves them nothing. Do the job right the first time and you will save them money. Do a great job and get more referrals for fixing the problem the first time.
                  so, i am bad because I shared a little helpful info that maybe a few people can put to work? Wow, looking forward to more replys from you.

There is nothing wrong with trying to help people save money. And if it doesn't work, ohwell, at least I tried, and they did to.

And no sir, when I unstop, I carry a warranty. Usually 90 days. And if it stops up again it's free. So if I unstop with the disposal, and have to come back, a hour, week, or 89 days later, its FREE.
                  But what do I know? Just a hack.

(and I have actually never got a callback from disposal unstopping believe it or not)

Comment

They called you to come unstop their kitchen sink. You are standing there in the kitchen with your tools and all you can do is fill up the 2 sinks and walk away? Where's the value in that?

Comment

All and all not a bad tip for a homeowner as stated it was for and also he said not the proper way to do it. I would never do this at a customers house because odds are it would reclog and I would have to go back which I strive not to do, but I would use this at my house when I get home and don't want to snake anything!
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        They called you to come unstop their kitchen sink. You are standing there in the kitchen with your tools and all you can do is fill up the 2 sinks and walk away? Where's the value in that?
                        Oh the value, I come out for free, give them a price, to fix the problem, or if it is a drain stoppage, price to run my machines.

I also teach homeowners how to reset garbage disposals, that make me bad to?

I have a heart, I care. If I can save someone some money, I am going to do it. I bend over backwards for my customers. And if I can flip a switch and make them smile, then that is all that matters. Chances are they can flip that switch for the next 3 or 4 clogs, and clear it. When it gets to bad to do that, then ya, lets go ahead and run the drain cleaning equipment. But 50 bucks is money well spent to have a plumber come over and teach you something that you may very well be able to use in the future to save yourself money. Who knows? Maybe he will Be over at a friends house one day and unstop their sink that way?

While I do admit there are "better" ways to unclog a drain, that is not the point of this thread, haters.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished anymore.
                        And I have literally not EVER went back on ANY kitchen sink drains I have used the disposal trick on. Can't say that about using the machines.

The point of this thread, was to give maybe ONE person a idea to try if they encounter this problem. If that is wrong, then sorry guys, I won't ever be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
                          Chances are they can flip that switch for the next 3 or 4 clogs, and clear it
                          So when they flip the switch the 3rd time, and the trap gives out (because of the pressure from repeated flips) and the mess and maybe drano goes all over the hardwood floor staining it, they will call you. Or the slop shoots up, spraying in a kids face or adult, blinding them. They will call you, and SUE you because you showed them an unprofessional "trick."

As nice a guy as I want to be, I will never, ever show someone a shortcut that could possibly have bad results.

The only kind of plumber people want is an honest one.

Comment

I just don't get it
                            Follow the herd I guess
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

I just don't get it
                              Follow the herd I guess

Everybody's wife/girlfriend went out and spent money on gifts/nonsense for the thanksgiving weekend,

and there's no money, all put on the credit card.

This is the release.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X