Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: just an update on cheap

wow
    Last edited by Ninjaskillz; 12-05-2009, 04:48 AM.

Comment

DDC, I am glad to read that your new venture is doing good. Your overhead must be near to zero!
      How are you able to do it is my question?
      Every day I face the cost of doing business (sewer and drain). i.e. Professional license,business license,business insurance,vehicle insurance,fuel for the vehicles,maintenace on the vehicles,business phone numbers,tool maintenance and replacement,etc. All this and some others that slip my mind all before I can make payroll!
      Of course all the above is factored into my price structure plus a certain amount for such things as call back whether the work is warranteed or not. I do not usually do additional work "free" but I try not to leave a customer dissatisfied. Bad word of mouth travels faster and further than good.
      Sorry to ramble but I am curious!

Comment

Our hourly rate is actually only 70, But I do charge a fee for the use of my Drain machine, which is 20. Thats only once, not per hour. We're upfront with customers about that when they call though, so it's not like it gets stacked on at the time of the bill.

For us, it covers the cost of doing business, and makes a decent profit, while still keeping us in the middle as far as local rates go. Some of the union shops are 110 an hour, some of the handyman with a snake guys are as low as 45.

Sounds like Drains done cheep has a low overhead, and with that, $80 would probably cover his costs, and give him a decent living. But that mostly depends on the area.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

jh

......... just sums my happy life. some people say have a good day. personally i don't care what kind of a day you have. people have whatever kind of a day they want to have. why would i want to interfere? a bunch of colorful idiots dancing and waving balloons. that's me. breid.............

Comment

It is good that your new biz is succeeding, but at 80 a drain how long can a business really survive, even with low overhead if you have all the insurance and licences you should have you have to do allot of drains for 80 to make ends meet, and at 80 a drain you are cutting yourself short on the money and doing twice the work to make the same money as the company that charges lets say 170 (wich i gather from posts on this forum is a pretty average price for a sewer from a c/o) and that is what i get for a sewer, these low ball companies really get me fired up ive busted my *** for 8 years to make my biz what it is today, in the 8 years ive been doing this on my own ive seen 4 different guys that say they will clean a drain for 49.95 or 80 or whatever come and try to succeed and all 4 have bellied up, the bottom line is unless you are doing 6-7 drains a day at 80 then its just a matter of time before you run out of money, Thats why we have the saying YOU ALWAY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !

Comment

Does the $ 80.00 include sewers and weekend work?

I am not sure about you, But If I get a call @ 3 am I want to get paid extra for getting out of my warm bed, And playing in waste

Comment

We are a flat rate company to, but we charge whatever we want.
                But our general run of the mill price is 127.50 for unstopping a drain.

We do not charge extra no matter what time it is, yes even 9pm on christmas day.

And we do not charge to come out. The 4 of us plumbers usually run about 80,000 worth of business on a good busy month. People love getting things done cheap, and coming out free, well it works!

Comment

i like that. we are a flat rate company to, but we charge whatever we want. that is me. i want more than you do though. i want to miss some of them. i don't want the butt heads and or cheapskates. i also have a misery money charge if they are butt heads and or cheapskates. breid............

Comment

Reddi-Rooter

There was a cut-rate rooter company in West L.A. back in the 80s called Reddi-Rooter. They were around for decades before being by bought by Dyno-Rod.

Their charge was 39.95---50% less than anyone else.

They were running at least 50 trucks, but here's the catch. The rootermen had to have their own trucks and insurance. They had to have their own equipment. If they couldn't afford the equipment, the company would sell it to them. The company made the cable and had a wholesale sweetheart deal with a snake company.

The men were paid 50% commission less anything owed to the company store.

They rootered only. No plumbing except for replacing sewer lines. In L.A., the sewers are 12" deep in sand. Not a huge deal like here.

I don't know if the business model would survive today. The vans were beat up with cheap signs on them and no security checks were done on the workers. Employee laws have changed a lot.
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

There was a Reddi-Rooter up here in Oregon back in the 80's too. I thought it was a mom and pop though.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Back in the 80's around here a guy had the idea of putting full page ads in all the phone books covering northern Illinois. Then he dispatched all his calls to different sewer and drain shops and guys as subcontractors. He never owned a truck or any tools. The company was called Dyno Sewer. He was making a good buck till the subcontractors started putting out their own invoices and such.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Well the first time you have to replace your cable or have a machine fixed you wont be charging 80 bucks anymore. I will bet you dont have workers comp or any other insurance either. I used to charge 80 bucks for mains back in 1994.

Comment

free to try free to learn and free to charge and free to change before you go out of business be carful and good luck.

Comment

How can you ever save up for a see snake or jetter at 80 bucks a call. I just filled my van and got some clean out covers it would take 2 jobs to cover that.

Comment

in My area there are guys that are doing mains for $ 70 bucks a pop.
                                I am cheap but come on man. That does not leave any room for error or profit.

I understand that most small shops are " hand to mouth "type operations. Still I believe that the prices should reflect " real world prices"

Than again there are those guys that have no business sense. The ones that are allways busy and broke. Who the hell wants to be working their tail off, Only to not be able to pay their bills?

Comment

Working...
                                X