just an update on cheap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: just an update on cheap

Im a one man show run everything out of my home Very little overhead and at that there is no way possible i would survive at 80 a drain, last week alone i had to ship one camera back to wisconsin to get repaired that alone including shipping will run me arount $700, then 2 days after that i broke a camera head on my spare camera theat will be another 300 to fix, then my warthog nozzle stopped rotationg, had to order a spare because i had customers waiting for me to use it that is another $750, then i also had to buy 300 feet of jetter hose another $800, so in just last week alone i had to spend $2550 in necessary repairs not to mention fuel at $100.00 a tank and insurance etc... so at $80 a drain i would have to do 32 jobs just to cover my repairs, granted not every month is like this, but I dont see how a business can make it on 80 a drain.
    Last edited by rhinorooter; 12-08-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
      Im a one man show run everything out of my home Very little overhead and at that there is no way possible i would survive at 80 a drain, last week alone i had to ship one camera back to wisconsin to get repaired that alone including shipping will run me arount $700, then 2 days after that i broke a camera head on my spare camera theat will be another 300 to fix, then my warthog nozzle stopped rotationg, had to order a spare because i had customers waiting for me to use it that is another $750, then i also had to buy 300 feet of jetter hose another $800, so in just last week alone i had to spend $2550 in necessary repairs not to mention fuel at $100.00 a tank and insurance etc... so at $80 a drain i would have to do 32 jobs just to cover my repairs, granted not every month is like this, but I dont see how a business can make it on 80 a drain.
      They can't. I'm sure they think they are rolling in doe. Buy a couple of machines off ebay and have a beat up old van with 200k on it "Then" something breaks or a bad month or two. It happens to all of us. I also run my business from home and at $80 a drain can you say out of business.
      Even at my rates It's hard to keep up.
      Had people tell me well the Joe the handy man was only going to charge them $50 bucks..Really did he clear the line?? aghhhh NO.
      Last edited by UnClogNH; 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
        Many may know already but i started my company "drains done cheap" about 6 months ago. With a little help from the amazing k-60 and the nice girl answering the phones we our in the market, competing , making a name for selves, providing top notch customer service, and thank the lord above we have been busy almost every day for the last 3 months. Thanksgiving weekend was a blessing ive never cleaned so many sinks in one day. Repeat customers are trickling in now, word of mouth is spreading pretty good, and never underestimate craigslist, im in three phonebooks, 2 are necessity, but the at&t phone book only gets about half the calls as craigslist. Doing a lot social networking thats help. I go to meet with score advisors twice a week, and by january im adding a van and man. So every thing is going pretty good, even doing it cheap.
        Not many care but i thought i would throw this update incase you thought i was already down and out.
        It does not take much to tip the scales from making money to losing money. I hope you continue to do well.
        Adding the employee means workmen's comp ins, unemployment benefits. Employee's beat on vans and equipment if their on commission speeding to jobs to get them done faster. The over head keeps adding up.
        Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Right and trying to find a good employee will cost too. I usually go through about 4 or 5 to get a good one. I had an employee get po'd at me and start driving my rigs hard. It's amazing how much damage they can to in a short period of time.

Good luck in your venture but seriously think about raising your prices for the good of your self and the good of the industry.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

have a buddy who opened his on plumbing heating and drain company
            Discount plumbing and drains out of Boston Ma. He would complain all he was getting was cheap people. I told him. Well, "advertise cheap" all you get is cheap.
            Even at his low rates people still tried to talk him down. He is out of business for 5 years now and all the higher rate companies are still there.
            Rod

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well. I guess it depends on the area you live in, cost of living, cost of a shop etc. I know in my area, I could not survive on that, my plumbing charge out rate is almost that per hour. Keep in mind you have travel time, shop rent and utilities (?) truck maintenance, truck loan (?), gas, retirement, repairs, and new equipment. I know for my little business, I have many thousands tied up into equipment with multiple augers, camera, jetters etc. Once they break or need maintenance it costs. Also I know from experience once you add employees, it dramatically increases costs, ie. you need one more complete set up, employee insurance, twice the gas, and down time is a killer and what is worse is repairing the employees work for free. If you don't camera the lines after and are there for minimal time, and you are super super busy with minimal drive time, it might work out, not much room for error. Also, why would you want to make less than you actually could.

Comment

Our ad also says cheap rates. We get all of the wrong cliente. We attract way to many penny pinchers and scrooges who are always nickeling and diming us. Next years ad will not have the word cheap anymore, I guarantee that. I'd rather leave the truck in the driveway than go to those jobs. When your rates are too low you disrupt the ecosystem, it screws up everything that other competitors have built up in the area in terms of prices.

Comment

I ran into a plumber the other day who was "pimping" himself out. I asked why so low, when he is worth more? He said other guys would do it for cheaper. I then told him that he is NOW the other guy....

Comment

Friends dont let Friends be the other guy !!!

Comment

guys, let me stir the pot

on a single main line, with travel, machine and an hour job time, i'm more than 80

but give me a building with multiple drains and i'm much lower than 80

production work allows me to be more than competitive and still make enough to be very, very, convertible.

i rather doubt anyone on this forum has the cost associated with running a business more than i do. you couldn't imagine what i spend a year on property taxes, insurance, trucks, inventory, tools, toys and everything else it takes for me to go out the door. yet i don't turn down work, and i don't charge anywhere near what i keep reading on this forum.

how do i do it

hard work, since i was 12 and now i'm 46 still going at it. not bragging, but setting the record straight. work hard, be good and honest at what you do and don't think you can get rich overnight.

it works for me and it's worked for others in the trade that i know.

i know what some of you are thinking

"it's different now and you're established"

wrong, i established myself with blood sweat and tears with long hours and more than competitive rates. it doesn't happen overnight like some of you think. my problem isn't waiting for the phone to ring, but how to get to all the calls that come in. all without any advertising ever in 34 years.

guys it can be done, but it's not magic and it's not from sitting home waiting until the gravy train rolls in.

i might be modest, but i speak the gospel.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with you rick,
                        not all my customers pay the same price for the same work,
                        I charge the average homeowner(the drain that backs up once every couple years) 185.00 to unclog a lateral from a c/o and 55 more to r/r a toilet. 150 for a camera if they have me do it while im there, and 350 to jet if needed, of course if i end up cableing,camera and a jet they get charged full price for the jet and everything else at 50 % off
                        I do have several property mgmnt companies that i do work for every month and they do get a very good deal on their drains but they also have been loyal customers to me for 8 years and they throw me work every month so they do deserve to get a price break,however it is more than 80 a drain.

Comment

Working...
                        X