X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovel out before service please

Last year we had a lot of snow....I hate snow. last year I really never asked if they were shoveled out. This year No shoveled out access to basement door or home no service. Last year and years past I would toss my machines on a sled and pull it to the door. I'm getting older. People complain about how much it costs even after dragging equipment through their yards 1 to 3 feet of snow. They can shovel out were not in the 1800s anymore everyone has snow blowers grandkids or family members etc.
    This year no more dragging machines through 3 feet of snow.
    No more dragging machines through the snow for me

Picture from last year. Here we go again another winter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: Shovel out before service please

You can sure have all of that fluffy precipitation!!

I think it looks much better at your house than it does mine.

maybe you could charge for snow removal also, hire some young kid to clear the path while you sit in the truck sipping hot cocoa and jamming on the radio.

G3

Comment

Thats a lot of snow on your van. How long did you spend on that call?

Other than that, I agree. Water heaters and snow DON'T mix.

Comment

The ice it what gets me.
        Last year I busted my a$$ bad in a customers driveway because he was too lazy to spread the bag of salt he had sitting in the entry way.

I like the idea of a snow/ice charge. I think I'll try it out as long as I remember to mention it to the customer before the job.
        I'll carry my own salt and shovel, $20 if I have to use them.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          The ice it what gets me.
          Last year I busted my a$$ bad in a customers driveway because he was too lazy to spread the bag of salt he had sitting in the entry way.

I like the idea of a snow/ice charge. I think I'll try it out as long as I remember to mention it to the customer before the job.
          I'll carry my own salt and shovel, $20 if I have to use them.
          Charge by the scoop ..I lost signal at the gas station yesterday sorry.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Yeah. It's a pain.

My solution is that after the first hour we go hourly. It's up to the customer; if it takes me 2 hr to do a 1 hr job because I spend an hr chaining up so I can get up the drive, shoveling out the access I need etc etc, etc, they get to pay me for it. If they want to save a few bucks they can make it easy for me. Their choice.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
              No more dragging machines through the snow for me
              that's why i live in the tropics

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                that's why i live in the tropics

steve
                I hope someday I do to
                Rod

Comment

I used to be a tv repairman handling in-home service calls. Winter was always the worst, of course. Customers had expectations that you could magically circumvent the snow in ways that they could not. My favorite was rural homes with a driveway that snaked through the woods so far that you could not see the house from the road. These people were always upset to receive a phone call stating that I would re-schedule when the 12" of snow had been removed from their driveway. I would then explain that I was driving a E-150 and not a snowcat. Furthermore, the customer may be a nice person for all I know but that doesn't mean I want to spend the day with them while my van is pulled out of their yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul5409 View Post
                    I used to be a tv repairman handling in-home service calls. Winter was always the worst, of course. Customers had expectations that you could magically circumvent the snow in ways that they could not. My favorite was rural homes with a driveway that snaked through the woods so far that you could not see the house from the road. These people were always upset to receive a phone call stating that I would re-schedule when the 12" of snow had been removed from their driveway. I would then explain that I was driving a E-150 and not a snowcat. Furthermore, the customer may be a nice person for all I know but that doesn't mean I want to spend the day with them while my van is pulled out of their yard.

Good call!

I've done a few jobs where I spend more time getting unstuck then I did on the job.

VERY FRUSTRATING!
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I'm so grateful to live in the south after hearing these stories.

What misery having to clean every sewer from inside.

How do you deal with frozen wax rings?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Fill the sink with warm water and place the wax ring in there for a few minutes.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Fill the sink with warm water and place the wax ring in there for a few minutes.
                          WHAT?
                          After all these years of stickin' cold wax rings down my pants, now you tell me this

Comment

I tell the customer to put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, or less, depending on how cold they are.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Wax rings live under the driver's seat where the heater blows on them all day while I drive around.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X