X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for K60 users?

I live and work in kansas so 80% of our cleanouts are in the basements and most are finished basements. My question is, How messy is the K60? I would rather go with the K60 but if its going to be messy and slinging sludge around that isnt going to be an option, then I would have to go to the K7500. So any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Question for K60 users?

Get tons of drop cloths, lots of thumb tacks to put up plastic sheeting to make the cleanup easier.

Those rolls of cable in the cages will drip, leak all over the place after a drain cleaning so you are going to have to either bag each cage just to get it out of the house or somehow hose them down with hot water to take them up and out.

People freak when they see and smell what it took to clear their drain.

"Hey look honey! That's thursday's zucchini that tasted so good!"
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

so it does actually spray water around then? In your opinion would you still go with the hassel of the K60 or go with the cleaner drum K7500?

Comment

Once you learn to use a sectional machine it is no messier than a drum machine. Whether I am using a drum machine or a sectional machine I use a drop cloth runner.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Go sectional, they are easier to go in and out of basements. Always put drop cloths down regardless of machine. I used to use only drum machines, and now I hardly ever use them. The k1500 is a good way to go too.

Comment

Originally posted by jhweatherby View Post
            so it does actually spray water around then? In your opinion would you still go with the hassel of the K60 or go with the cleaner drum K7500?

Well, here's how I did it when I ran sectionals:

Bring 2-3 cages, whatever it takes.

Start attaching those sections together and put it in the drain, hand push all of it as much as you can till you get to a stopping point.

Once you reach that point, thread it into the machine and start working the drain. If you just maneuvered around a fitting, you start attaching cables again and pushing till you get that stopping point where you have to use that machine.

Then it's a matter of chewing/breaking through the obstruction, and it is not advised to go balls deep on that first pass, especially since a root bound drain and open wind will have you jerking hard on that cable to bring it back.

IF, you didn't clear that drain on the first pass but you are retrieving that cable, knowing all that buildup in that pipe is coming back at you.....you got a huge *** mess. Better have a drop cloth at the mouth of the drain.

And if you're dealing with aged waste? That black stuff that sits in a belly of a pipe, or a pipe laying flat?

What do you think happens whens an open wind is spinning not only in front of the machine, but behind it as well, at 600rpms?

You are either constantly hooking/unhooking cables to prevent the amount of length outside the machine from doing this, or you're setting up what looks like a hazmat containment tent to keep the majority of what's coming off that cable from making it to someplace you can't clean.

I've walked this walk. Machine works great, but it works the operator just as much.

All K60 users just read my words and knows I've been behind that machine with those above statements. No way I didn't.

Comment

Thanks for the response, I currently use a speedway with11/16 cable and 120' in length. And its just not a very good machine for every day use so thats why im in the market for a new machine. I was just concerned about slinging sludge every where with a sectional which seems to be highly recommended on here. So do they actually sling fluid or do they just drip?

Comment

Thanks for the response, I currently use a speedway with11/16 cable and 120' in length. And its just not a very good machine for every day use so thats why im in the market for a new machine. I was just concerned about slinging sludge every where with a sectional which seems to be highly recommended on here. So do they actually sling fluid or do they just drip?

Doesn't matter if it is a drum or sectional; any cable that moves fast/abrupt will sling whatever is on it.

That speedway, is it a powerfeed or have you been pulling that cable in and out?

Comment

Its a drum power feed.

Comment

I honestly dont sling much since its enclosed drum.

Comment

I honestly dont sling much since its enclosed drum.

Exactly, that's why I switched to drum machines after running sectionals for the first half of my career.

To each their own, both pieces of equipment work well. Just use the search bar here with keywords for K60 and there's plenty of info and entertainment to last you till 2024.

Comment

Put it to you like this, if I was given a free K7500, I'd sell it and buy a K60.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think you need both a sectional and a drum to handle whatever job comes your way. That said I use my k-60 now about 80% of jobs.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

a sectional will come back 95% dry as it's open wind doesn't allow for any water to get trapped like in a tight wind drum cable.

the key is to make sure you have cleared the drain and have run water to help flush out the line. the 625rpm will spin dry the cable while still in the line and the only time it comes back dirty is if you didn't clear the line.

there is video from 2 years ago showing a k-50 5/8 clearing a commercial kitchen with a few of us wearing clean clothes and working on cardboard. it was a hot humid night in ohio and we didn't get dirty and the cardboard stayed clean and dry.

knowing how to properly operate the machine in all conditions is the difference between a successful pro and a grumpy drum user.

you want a deal on a drum machine i have 8 that don't see action now and 2 that are brand new. all been replaced by the mighty k-60 and it's little brother the k-50

rick.

p.s. i'm back in town
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I have a speedway 600hd with 3/4 inncercore.

I have nothing but hate and loathing for that machine. Boss bought it about 3 months ago now, and it's broken down 3 times. One time it was the drum shaft snapping in two as I wheeled it down off the ramp from my truck.
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X