X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dehairing your Cable

typically with channel locks when it's wet. or let it dry and swap cables.

dry cable is easy to cut or tear off.

not a real problem as the k-39 will only get about the front 2' of hair on it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

This has been a problem since my first days of plumbing.

Usually, I just rip it off with channelocks or if it's real bad, cut the cable with bolt cutters and throw the end away. Thats's good for 3 or 4 times then buy a new cable

Comment

Wow... no tricks out there to solve the problem. Other than the shampoo trick. Sounds like good old brute force is the way to go.

Has anyone cut themselves removing it with a knife. Sounds like a bad idea. Waste and open wounds dont mix.

Thanks for the responses. The cool part is I only have to clean hair out of a cable once or twice a years

Josh

Comment

Get some of that industrial brillo.The kind that they use in industrial kitchens to clean pots.Put it under the grates for whatever time period it takes for the drain to start slowing down,take it out,throw it away and put in a new wad.Gathers soap scum as well.

Credit this to "My Buddy Steve" AKA-Rookie Plumber here...Smart and sharing guy.

Comment

yup... basically force... I'm a plier guy, not a knife guy, as I'll just cut myself and my hands see enough abuse as it is.

not often, but once in a while it will work to just grab the whole mass with a rag, bear down hard, and spin it in reverse. makes a mess... hold it over the tub if you try it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I just use a torch to burn it off when I want it off. Most time I leave it there to help wipe the next drain clean
              I am making a new cable head to help scrub 1 1/2 and 2" drains
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

We use an old round nose serrated steak knife. Found it in a restaurant drain one time. It is pretty dull but works awesome. We keep it in the rodding box. It would take a lot to really get hurt by the thing. Cuts off roots and hair with ease.
                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Get the multi grips out and have patience pulling the hair off the cable it works every time.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X