Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not going back there!

Was just at a customers house pack rat, moody as hell lady
    Sewer has been backed up for a very long time. The water was BLACK
    Baby whipes all over the floor Crap every where. Can I say Crap on here?? Would rather use the other word.
    This lady was hovering over me the whole time is this going to take longer? . House has plumbing issues. Start feeling light headed tight chest hard to breath snots pouring out. look in the other room Mold All over the walls floor. At this point I bailed on the job. Sorry lady this is a hazard and I can't breath with all this mold. What am I going to do she said. Get it taken care of. How she lives there I don't know. All I know is I'm not going back there. Crap every where I can deal with when you can't breath thats a diffrent story.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: Not going back there!

Couldn't breath?
    little tense?
    psychosomatic?

I used to live in a dank ranch house out in the middle of a nowhere orchard to get back on my feet after one of my jail stints .Flourescent molds in the basement Pinks,greens and of coarse your healthy garden variety of black(flooded 4" during the wet season,everything on pallets).Went down there regularly cause that was my tool/supply storage.Tonsils would act up occassionally but nothing serious.
    Mold is good for you

On a more important note;
    You guys are getting some tough calls.Are there more of them popping up.

Comment

Wow, I went thru nearly the same situation. i went to a call in the summer, it was a creepy old 2 story house. I knocked on the door and this pale fragile looking lady about 50 years old in a housecoat answered the door. She was like oh hi, come on in. I walked behind her, her entire living room was packed to the ceiling with stuff like old sour cream containers, clothes, boxes, you name it.

The kitchen was littered with crap every where. I saw a few cats on my way thru the house. There was a goat path leading to the basement, between the basement stairs and the living room there was a bed cloth hanging from the ceiling seperating the two.

As I walked down the stairs there were vitamin containers littered everywhere. And just when "I thought it couldnt get any worse I was wrong cause the basement was even worse than upstairs. The cleanout had a margarine container covering it. Probably the result of the last guy who also got out in a hurry.

I went to the truck and said to myself this is a call and its money, you can do this, just go and get it done.
      I brought back the K60, thank god I had that thing cause no cable machine would ever fit thru that goat path.
      I started working the machine when all of a sudden something fell from the pile of stuff behind me, I jumped. It ended up being a garbage bag that just fell. Now Im spooked.

I kept working the machine and all of a sudden the lady pops up from nowhere, i jump again. Now im freaked out, she is like how are things going. Im like good. Now the stench of the sewer is coming out and hit me like a ton of brinks. The sewer hasnt seen action in a long time.

I began sweating and it felt like the walls were closing in on me. I pulled the snake out, grabbed my tools and headed to the truck. I was almost willing to leave everything behind. I knocked on the door and told the lady that I have to go sorry. I called my partner and he went back and was able to solve the problem by plunging the house trap not b4 he got covered in ****.
      Never again would I go back to that house, not even for triple the regular amount. I dont know how anybody can live like that.

Comment

I did one a few years ago, it was a clogged sink drain, walked in the house and there was boxes of junk old news paper and crap pilled everywhere, and on the stove and kitchen counters were 3 one gallon cans of crisco that the lady would use to cook, and she would dump it all down the drain i told her that all the grease going down the drain was the problem and it would be best to jet it, she said no to much money cable it, so i did and it backed up a week later again, told the lady i would come back but it would not be a guarantree job , so the lady turned me into the better business burea, heres another one went to a house for a clogged sewer unclogged the line camered it it was orangburg that was shot, six month later they call me back to unclog it again, the same pile of sewage that had backed up into the floor drain the first time was still there, and these people had young ones crawling around in it, told them i would not do the job because of the cleanliness of their home, 3 month later drove by the house and the health dept had red signs on all the doors saying condemed...

Comment

Took myself to the hospital was still having a hard time breathing
          DR. say's I was having a reaction to the mold tried a albuterol inhaler
          Doing much better now.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Thats why I continue to smoke.
            I figure all the coughing is like exercise for my lungs so when I really need to expel foreign matter I have plenty of practice.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I fell you pain, I have been in a few of those house in my day…

All I can say it how in the fing hell can people live like that ?
              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

i have been in some houses where you see young kids living in that crap, you have to ask yourself is it my responsibility to let child welfare know about this, then if you do your the bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                  i have been in some houses where you see young kids living in that crap, you have to ask yourself is it my responsibility to let child welfare know about this, then if you do your the bad guy.
                  My friends,neighbors,church,my entire chosen network supports me making an immediate phone call.
                  Animal abuse included.
                  Getting close to calling in hacks...That includes you Mr. Illegal Handyman.

Tired of people hiding in plain sight because of our cultures self focus.

Not singling you out R/R.You just remind me.

Comment

I knew a guy that I worked with who became some what disabled and couldn't work the construction job he had anymore and he started a web business. He then started a non-profit animal shelter and took animals from people who could not longer care for them.
                    He called me one night telling me that his toilet was backing up and the plunger wasn't working.
                    I showed up and the animals he had been caring for 23 cat's, 5 dogs, about 3 or 4 rabbits and tons of birds all lived freely in the house. His wife was disabled and he had to walk with a cane.
                    When I walked in the ammonia from urine was so strong after just a few minutes I had to go back outside. There was feces all over the floor from the animals and the carpet was black. When I walked in I kicked the rug and realized it used to be a white carpet. I went and got a mask and finished the job.
                    We had a little talk after that, his wife had open sores all over her and he started to get them as well.
                    I told him that I would help clean the place up but he had to get rid of all the animals because they could not take care of them.
                    The next week the cops came and took them all away, I guess a neighbor called them and they where charged with animal abuse. I had helped him give away a few of the cats and one dog by that time.
                    I was relieved to see the animals gone. They where well fed and got alot of attention they just could not be cleaned up after.
                    I spent a month of weekends pulling out their floors and dry wall and replacing everything I could.
                    They had a truck engine in the kitchen sink and magazines stacked the ceiling it was a disaster.
                    If they weren't disabled I would have called the police myself it was just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                      Bad guy or not It's you that has to live with the decisions you make.

I've made a few calls after much thinking. Even cried over one that bothered me so much and I still did not want to make the call. I'm not a cop caller/rat but sometimes it's just the right thing to do.
                      It bothers me for a few days even if I know in the end it was the right thing to do.

One time I did not make the call that I should have and to this day it bothers me.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i did a sink drain last week. the H.O. said dont mind the mess, i havent done dishes in 3days. hahah if that was 3days worth of dishes id kiss somebody butt. heck there were so many dishes they had them on the couch, chairs, table, in the sink, on the floor. im guess prolly 200-300 plates, bowls, plastic containers, with mold, and whatever else that was in them. only 3 days worth though

Comment

My worst one was a rental down south with a huge indoor spa filled with sewage....they were using it as a toilet.

There were teens there that were sickly, to say the least. I called the owner who didn't know the conditions. The tenants were evicted.

I've called child services, too. In a f'ing heartbeat.
                          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
                            My worst one was a rental down south with a huge indoor spa filled with sewage....they were using it as a toilet.

There were teens there that were sickly, to say the least. I called the owner who didn't know the conditions. The tenants were evicted.

I've called child services, too. In a f'ing heartbeat.

When kids are involved there question if it is the right thing to do to turn them in. I have a son and one on the way I can not imagine putting them in a situation like that. I believe you did the right thing. It's just sad though....

Comment

I have been called to a house in Chicago where there are two elderly (70 years old plus) gentlemen living to clear a toilet stoppage.
                              Due to forgetfulness they would use the toilet and not flush! I have been there twice and rodded and flushed for them. Here is the kicker, these gentlemen really cannot take care of themselves.
                              They both walk around in and I am fairly certain live in hospital gowns that are rotting away on their bodies! The carpetting on the floor is also rotting away and the odor in the house is a "smell" away from being unbearable and probably a bio hazard.
                              Chicago has the 311 phone number that you call and they will send out a person from Human Services to do a well being check. Yes I did call after both visits.
                              The first time I was there I almost bailed but I felt bad for the gentlemen.
                              BTW, I was not charging them for the service provided the first time but they insisted so I accepted a $20.00 service fee, and the second time I went about a month later "no charge under warranty" is the excuse I gave them.

Comment

Working...
                              X