Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cable??

Originally posted by ranman View Post
    do you have to use the trap leader to get through a 3" trap? or can you jump the trap
    No and I have a new one setting in the shop. I never needed one so I have never even put it on the truck. It came with one of my new K7500.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Back when I got my first K-750 the Ridgid cable was awesome. Never had any issues with it. Just be careful of any lines with acid in it.

My 1065 I have on my truck now has Ridgid 3/4 IC cable in it, but the first thing I had Alan J Coleman do was chop of the Ridgid female screw driver ends and put on the punch pin ends.
      We always run water while cleaning the line so Acid is not really a problem.

Ben
      Why do you do that? I have never lost a cutter that didn`t brake first.

Comment

when i use to use my 7500, i always ran ridgid 3/4'' innercore. then when i finally wore out 6 cables, i switched to hollow core.

the old school ridgid innercore was the best cable ever made. it had a very stiff inner aircraft strand cable inside and was bullet proof. to me the new stuff is junk.

as far as the connector pin goes, it has it's problems. i had a batch of them that were not properly heat treated and would not rotate open even after a single use job

the issue is more with the small contact area on the male connector of the cutter. it's just too small of contact and i've had wear issues that caused the cutter coupling to disconnect.

sure a 1/2 turn eccentric screw is fast to use, but we need a much more secure reliable connector.

bens got it right. the tension pin is the way to go. spartan connector are so close to the ridgid design that i use to substitute them all the time. a simple file stroke is all that was required to dress them up.

fortunately i don't deal with it anymore as the k-60 7/8'' connector has yet to let me down

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick your wear issues that caused the cutter coupling to disconnect was because the cutter coupling or AKA the "bolt" has wear issues Still does to this day. I weld mine up all the time to get another month out of em. The bolts are way to soft.

The eccentric screw has "NO" wear issues and I should know as I still have 2 K7500`s running every day
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM.

Comment

The reason I cut off the Ridgid female screw ends and weld on spartan ends is to many times the screw freezes up on me. I keep them well lubed up and they still tend to freeze up.

As for acid, we run lots of water during our roddings as well. Also if I know there is acid in the line I will try to neutralize it as much as I can.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

the coupling is soft and i too would weld them up and die grind them too. but the female coupling has its issues too. i've swapped more than 1 dozen of them over the years. the spring would get stuck and not allow the screw to turn and the screw was too soft an would bend. even the screwdriver slot was an issue.

i actually stopped welding the female coupling as it was simpler to swap them when needed in the field.

have not had 1- 7/8'' k-60 coupling fail yet in the hundreds of sewers i've used them on.

the 5/8'' is not as beffy as the 7/8'' and it's jammed 2 times. the spring is sprung

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Now if you want to talk about a limber cable that can go through traps with ease. Marco's cable impressed me. I was rodding through a 4" p-trap with the Marco LT-90 went out 50' and started to hear noise from the other room. Went to check it out and the cable with the 3" pair shaped cutter negated its way out of another P-trap with out putting up a fight at all.

The machine does tear through roots better than any machine I ever used. But the auto feed is a royal pain in the arse. Plus the belt slipping off the drum is a pain as well. If I had the time I would change the wheels to the next size larger, change the auto feed to a spartan feed, and weld on some sort of brackets onto the part the belt rides on the drum. Once them items are fixed it would be a great machine.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Now if you want to talk about a limber cable that can go through traps with ease. Marco's cable impressed me. I was rodding through a 4" p-trap with the Marco LT-90 went out 50' and started to hear noise from the other room. Went to check it out and the cable with the 3" pair shaped cutter negated its way out of another P-trap with out putting up a fight at all.

The machine does tear through roots better than any machine I ever used. But the auto feed is a royal pain in the arse. Plus the belt slipping off the drum is a pain as well. If I had the time I would change the wheels to the next size larger, change the auto feed to a spartan feed, and weld on some sort of brackets onto the part the belt rides on the drum. Once them items are fixed it would be a great machine.

thank you for the honest opinion

but that sounds like alot of problems.
                  anyone else have auto feed & belt issues? those 2 items are a big part of the machine. if that is a common problem, i would re consider spending that much money on it.

Comment

I don't know Rick as we do Thousands of sewers a year "not hundreds" and don't have any trouble with the screw.
                    The only time I know of an issue was when a rock got behind the cutter but I busted it and saved the cable end. The only reason the rock was able to get behind there is because the "cutter bolt" was warn out.

Now on the other hand I would like to see a larger screw placed in the cable end so maybe we could get a little more life out of the cutter bolts?
                    I just might have to try and make one and see how it works???? hummmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by ranman View Post
                      thank you for the honest opinion

but that sounds like alot of problems.
                      anyone else have auto feed & belt issues? those 2 items are a big part of the machine. if that is a common problem, i would re consider spending that much money on it.
                      I got lucky and bought mine at a garage sale for 100 bucks.

Comment

another??

how do you carry extra cable?

another drum or?

the extra drum is 600$ but it would be the fastest for continuing with the job.

i would like to get your ideas.

thx

randy

Comment

50' sections inside of a motor cycle tire. i also have a red spartan plastic carrier that is nice and compact. but heavy if you put in 100'.

the trick is to know how long the sewer is and carry the 25' or 50' sections that you need. much faster than swapping a drum and easier to carry than a drum.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

rick i like the cycle tire idea. thx

Comment

well i did it for the new year.

i decided i`m a drum guy!!

i ordered the k-7500 this morning.

Comment

Working...