X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Drum Machine?

OK, to PlumberRick, Mark and the rest: I am a sectional guy myself, but I've determined a need to have a drum machine that can run up to 6" for at least 100', so I'm making considerations and looking for recommendations and experiences. I will need at least 100', usually 120'-135' of cable and will be frequently running in 6" clay with the rest being 4" cast iron.

For the record I own and use a K-50 and a KM-1500. The drum will be the backup and for a few specific applications

I picked up an older General Sewermatic on craigslist a few months ago for a song and have been generally (no pun intended) happy with the performance.

Pros: I like that I can disassemble the machine easily if necessary. I also like that it's relatively light for a drum and still carries a 3/4 HP motor. I've run 5/8" innercore X 75' in 6" with roots and it's handled it well with 3" and 4" U-Cutters. Also very easy to swap out drums and add cable. I've only done this on the job once in a pinch. Small footprint on my truck too!

Cons: older style autofeed only retracts cable in reverse. Small drum capacity 50' of 3/4" or 75' of 5/8 means I have to carry extra drums/cable particularly if I run 3/4".

I know that the K-7500 and the Spartan 1065 are very popular. Tell me your experiences with one of these or a General machine too. Also, there was a deal locally on a Spartan 2001 but I don't know much about it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input

-Chris

Re: Best Drum Machine?

chris, i've had good luck with the k-7500. in fact i still have a brand new one in the box.

it's still made in america

unlike the spartan that's now made in china

the 7500 has a dent proof, rust proof plastic drum. holds 110' of 3/4'' cable. 125' is what it shows, but in reality, it's a tight fit. you're better off adding a 25' section when you need it. keeps it lighter and easier to load.

why the drum when you have the best of the sectionals

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
      OK, to PlumberRick, Mark and the rest: I am a sectional guy myself, but I've determined a need to have a drum machine that can run up to 6" for at least 100', so I'm making considerations and looking for recommendations and experiences. I will need at least 100', usually 120'-135' of cable and will be frequently running in 6" clay with the rest being 4" cast iron.

For the record I own and use a K-50 and a KM-1500. The drum will be the backup and for a few specific applications

I picked up an older General Sewermatic on craigslist a few months ago for a song and have been generally (no pun intended) happy with the performance.

Pros: I like that I can disassemble the machine easily if necessary. I also like that it's relatively light for a drum and still carries a 3/4 HP motor. I've run 5/8" innercore X 75' in 6" with roots and it's handled it well with 3" and 4" U-Cutters. Also very easy to swap out drums and add cable. I've only done this on the job once in a pinch. Small footprint on my truck too!

Cons: older style autofeed only retracts cable in reverse. Small drum capacity 50' of 3/4" or 75' of 5/8 means I have to carry extra drums/cable particularly if I run 3/4".

I know that the K-7500 and the Spartan 1065 are very popular. Tell me your experiences with one of these or a General machine too. Also, there was a deal locally on a Spartan 2001 but I don't know much about it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input

-Chris

Check with Marvin at Allan J Coleman for good deals on used machines. Now as to which drum machine The K-7500 advantage of the 1065 is over all size and weight, It will fit into tighter space than the 1065. Other than that they are very comparable. I do like the 1065 drum, inner drum feed arm and auto feed better. Reason be is the drum is wider with a more gradual feed arm so the cable goes in and out of the drum a bit easer. Also the auto feed has been flawless since day one. If you look at their autofeed of today verses an autofeed that is 30 years old there is minor improvements on the newer one.

I know a lot of guys in Elgin area, that swear by the Spartan 300 with the .55 double wound cable. Its a much lighter machine, smaller foot print and can do 6" lines with ease. Thing is most of their lines are 4" with short runs of 6" I personally prefer the 3/4" cable over the 5/8 or .55 for Riverside, La Grange, Brookfield area. We do own a Ridgid K-750 from years ago, It does not have an inner drum, the feed I personally thinks works better than the feed they put on the K-7500, but it is a bear to work on compared to the K-7500's feed. But it does the job real well, its light weight and is very powerful. I wish Ridgid just would of widen the stance of the k-750 by 2" overall, and put an inner drum on the machine other than that its great.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        chris, i've had good luck with the k-7500. in fact i still have a brand new one in the box.

it's still made in america

unlike the spartan that's now made in china

the 7500 has a dent proof, rust proof plastic drum. holds 110' of 3/4'' cable. 125' is what it shows, but in reality, it's a tight fit. you're better off adding a 25' section when you need it. keeps it lighter and easier to load.

why the drum when you have the best of the sectionals

rick.
        I'm definitely buying used. If it's spartan, it'd be an older USA made one.

The reason for the drum: I like having options. I've found that a few specialized applications are better suited for the drum.

That and I'm a gearhead

Comment

The K7500 is a great way to go and rick is right.
          I go with 100' 3/4" hollow core and it can even be tight.
          There are rebranded versions to be had for less money.
          Same machine different colors and markings.
          I keep a spare machine *and* 50' in a tire.
          Good luck.

Comment

The K-7500 is the best drum out there and it will hold 125` of 3/4 I/C cable with no problem. We run 2 of em every day and they each have 125` of 3/4 I/C cable in em. The trick is to install the 25` section first then the 100` section.
            Buy a K-7500 and you wont be sorry.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I will second the K7500, also it will only hold 100’ and at times even the 100’ will be hard to put back in
              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                The K7500 is a great way to go and rick is right.
                I go with 100' 3/4" hollow core and it can even be tight.
                There are rebranded versions to be had for less money.
                Same machine different colors and markings.
                I keep a spare machine *and* 50' in a tire.
                Good luck.
                what is this rebranded version that you speak of?
                Link please

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                  what is this rebranded version that you speak of?
                  Link please
                  Its the oto ooter branded one.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by SewerRatz; 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                    I will second the K7500, also it will only hold 100’ and at times even the 100’ will be hard to put back in
                    Then you must be doing something wrong as my 2 K-7500 have 125` of 3/4 I/C cable in em. I guess I`ll have to do a video
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Here is one more showing the k-7500 and K-3800

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        Then you must be doing something wrong as my 2 K-7500 have 125` of 3/4 I/C cable in em. I guess I`ll have to do a video
                        I think a video would be nice.
                        a complete video on how to set up. saftey factors. machine maintenance. etc. I believe it would be something great to add to the ridgid collection

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                          I think a video would be nice.
                          a complete video on how to set up. saftey factors. machine maintenance. etc. I believe it would be something great to add to the ridgid collection
                          I would like the help?
                          I have had a hard time getting the 100’ back on 7 out of ten times? I also just put new 100’ IC cable on and still the same thing the last 2-4’ are very hard to put back on?
                          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                          1-920-284-7471

Comment

I never had any issues with putting a 100' into a K-750 or the 1065. I cannot say anything about the K-7500 since I do not own one.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                              I would like the help?
                              I have had a hard time getting the 100’ back on 7 out of ten times? I also just put new 100’ IC cable on and still the same thing the last 2-4’ are very hard to put back on?
                              the cable has a tendecy to wind onto the inner portion of the spool. oil is important to help break the friction of the cable getting caught. sometimes just hand feeding the last few feet is the trick as you can jump the cable onto another layer.

try the oil and also hand feeding if necessary. look inside the drum to see what is hanging up. should be self explanitory at that point. sometimes it's the distributor arm is caught between the cable in the drum and the cable you're pulling in. oil will help it to slide easy and jump the wind.

rick.

of course a k-60 doesn't have that problem
                              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X