X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swade Plumbing
    started a topic Best Drum Machine?

Best Drum Machine?

OK, to PlumberRick, Mark and the rest: I am a sectional guy myself, but I've determined a need to have a drum machine that can run up to 6" for at least 100', so I'm making considerations and looking for recommendations and experiences. I will need at least 100', usually 120'-135' of cable and will be frequently running in 6" clay with the rest being 4" cast iron.

For the record I own and use a K-50 and a KM-1500. The drum will be the backup and for a few specific applications

I picked up an older General Sewermatic on craigslist a few months ago for a song and have been generally (no pun intended) happy with the performance.

Pros: I like that I can disassemble the machine easily if necessary. I also like that it's relatively light for a drum and still carries a 3/4 HP motor. I've run 5/8" innercore X 75' in 6" with roots and it's handled it well with 3" and 4" U-Cutters. Also very easy to swap out drums and add cable. I've only done this on the job once in a pinch. Small footprint on my truck too!

Cons: older style autofeed only retracts cable in reverse. Small drum capacity 50' of 3/4" or 75' of 5/8 means I have to carry extra drums/cable particularly if I run 3/4".

I know that the K-7500 and the Spartan 1065 are very popular. Tell me your experiences with one of these or a General machine too. Also, there was a deal locally on a Spartan 2001 but I don't know much about it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input

-Chris

• Swade Plumbing
    replied
    Re: Best Drum Machine?

Hey Ron, He's listed that machine a few times now. I was considering it when I was drum shopping, but I was a little weary of finding parts (though I'm sure Coleman has them for a pretty penny)

Leave a comment:

• SewerRatz
    replied

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
    I saw that one for sale, I am trying to get an appointment with a local guy near me to buy his Spartan 71 model. They have a 300 drum but a 1065 frame and motor, supposed to be lighter but as tough as the 1065 so I want it.
    I may take a ride by this guy selling the 1000 to get a closer look at it. Its only about an hour drive from me.

Leave a comment:

• Cuda
    replied

I saw that one for sale, I am trying to get an appointment with a local guy near me to buy his Spartan 71 model. They have a 300 drum but a 1065 frame and motor, supposed to be lighter but as tough as the 1065 so I want it.

Leave a comment:

• SewerRatz
    replied

Here is an older bigger brother of the Spartan 1065 called the 1000 for sale on Ebay. If you look close to the first photo it looks like they had the forward reverse switch on the frame near the auto feed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spartan-Drain-Se...item2eab73e50f

Leave a comment:

• appletondrain
    replied

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
    I'd bet your cable is flipped inside the drum...

nope not at all. 2 new 100' and both will not fit correctly......

Leave a comment:

• appletondrain
    replied

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
    I also have a problem with my k7500 and 3/4" cable, it's a pain to get the last 8' or so in the drum, I've had that trouble since day one. It's the only thing I don't like about the machine. Otherwise I like it just fine.

I went over to 5/8", but it's just to light for me, and I feel like I'm taking a lot of extra time babying 5/8" on a tough root stoppage.

I actually just ordered 11/16" with spartan type ends, which will be delivered tomorrow for my k7500, which I have a feeling will be perfect for the machine, and a few ounces lighter per foot than 3/4", and I know 11/16" will be heavy enough to abuse a little. I'll have to use a 3/4" ridgid pigtail or weld an eyelet up to the 11/16", is the only drawback.

I thought about using .66 mag, but I dislike IC cable, and it's expensive.

Otherwise I was raised on a spartan 1065 and can't imagine a tougher machine, the problem with spartan is I can't go down town and buy any any part I need for the equipment, rather I have to get it shipped or wait for the rep to call back and then eventually get to me. Ridgid knows there stuff when it comes to distribution and support, that's why I chose a Ridgid this time.

was the 3/4" cable IC or hollow?

Leave a comment:

• geno gardner
    replied

I really like my Spartan 2001. It comes apart fairly easily and the cart will take down the drum and machine separately if there are a lot of stairs involved.

The thing is it sounds like a clattering rattle trap when I'm going up and down stairs with the way the cart connects.

I like the electric brake and prefer that to letting it coast to a stop. This way the amount of increasing cable tension after removing your foot from the pedal can be minimized. (It's a personal preference thing, and might take some getting used to). It has a 2" smaller diameter drum than the 1065 so it can into a very slightly tighter place.

Leave a comment:

• Roy Eric
    replied

I agree that the spartan 300 machine works well, with the spartan 1065
    that's a heavy machine with 3/4" incore cable. In the shop we lug the
    Spartan 1065 with a tommy lift fitted to a tail gate of a pick-up.

The risk of back injuries always enters the picture with any employee,
    sectional drain machines has this advantage over drum machines.
    In my situation working at a state correctional facility education,
    and safety are always emphasized.

Leave a comment:

• Cuda
    replied

Don't see many spartan 71 machines the little brother to the 1065, it looks like a 1065 with a 300 drum, and it's lighter than a 1065 too bad they discontinued them.

Leave a comment:

• punky
    replied

Spartan model 71 with 11/16 cable. Can go through anything with that setup.

Leave a comment:

• Trent2
    replied

I'm pretty happy with my 300 with the magnum cable.

Leave a comment:

• JERRYMAC
    replied

Back on topic a ' SPARTAN" 300 machine with a

second 5/8" x 80' drum and a couple of 100 drums

1- 13/32" x 100' and 1- 1/2" x 55'

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

counterplus footage counter.

rick.

Leave a comment:

• Ace Sewer
    replied

mine's a mini; the counter is different than my old ones and it seems to be keeping a running tally

Leave a comment:

Working...
X