I'm not a bad guy. It's Just Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a bad guy. It's Just Business

Had a call yesterday a guy on the outer limits of my service area. 1 hr 20 minutes away. He asks me my rates why so much he say's he begins to tell me he thinks $100 is fair not what I'm asking He begins to give me the sob story I'm a single dad of 3 out of work bla bla bla. He lives in the southern part of the state but owns a 2nd home in a resort area this is where the service is needed .
    He tells me the access to his basement is tuff through a hole in the foundation and he is a carpenter and he can build something to get my machine into the crawl space under the house. He rented a machine and could not clear it him self. I tell him sorry my rates are what they are to keep me in business. But I'm broke he tells me and your phone book ad say's you cover this area. Well, yea I say I still have to charge to cover my expenses and drive 1 hour and 20 minutes to you. My rates are set to keep me in business I'm sorry you can't afford them I can't help you.
    Sorry it's business nothing personal I have to pay my bills to.
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: I'm not a bad guy. It's Just Business

I agree with your decisinon , most people give me a sad sob story , but most of the time they have money , don't want to spend it .

Comment

i can see his point. your add says you work that area, but in reality, you're 1 hour 20 minutes away and want to charge him a significant travel charge.

i don't work outside my 10 mile radius unless the customer is willing to pay for my travel. but then again, i don't advertise that i do.

the re is a company here that has over 300 phone numbers listed with the bbb. makes it look like they have a truck in every area.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds very square and fair to me.Your willing to travel to get your business going.And after a few years you can close in the radius to the neighborhood your family brought you up in.

Comment

It doesn't matter what your price is.. the average consumer thinks its to much. your first price is always to much. everyone feels if they can talk ya down.... they are getting a deal. i price accordingly. if i want 500 dollars for a plumbing job, i start out at 650. let them give me a song and dance about how broke they are and give me a coupon i send out, and i get it for my 500 price i wanted anyway. win win situation

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i can see his point. your add says you work that area, but in reality, you're 1 hour 20 minutes away and want to charge him a significant travel charge.

i don't work outside my 10 mile radius unless the customer is willing to pay for my travel. but then again, i don't advertise that i do.

the re is a company here that has over 300 phone numbers listed with the bbb. makes it look like they have a truck in every area.

rick.
            Rick The number he got off the phone book is the same number I run in all 3 of my phone books. Were in a rural area and don't have the luxury of having a high population of millions where a smaller service area works. Total population of all the books combined is just over 50 thousand total homes is half that. I live right on the line of all three books Why not one phone book Wish they would. Be better if they did. And the only difference in price is $40 bucks for gas and travel any thing over 30 minutes and no one has a problem with that because its hard to get any kind of service here. The only other company is Roto Rooter who is more expensive than me even with my extra travel charge.
            Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
              It doesn't matter what your price is.. the average consumer thinks its to much. your first price is always to much. everyone feels if they can talk ya down.... they are getting a deal. i price accordingly. if i want 500 dollars for a plumbing job, i start out at 650. let them give me a song and dance about how broke they are and give me a coupon i send out, and i get it for my 500 price i wanted anyway. win win situation
              That works for you and that's great but that encourages that kind of behavior with the customers making it more difficult for the rest of us out there to get our price unless we play the same game. While it's easier to allow for them beating you down on your price, it's better (in my opinion) to stand behind your prices as a show of pride in your quality of work and service.

JMHO though.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                Rick The number he got off the phone book is the same number I run in all 3 of my phone books. Were in a rural area and don't have the luxury of having a high population of millions where a smaller service area works. Total population of all the books combined is just over 50 thousand total homes is half that. I live right on the line of all three books Why not one phone book Wish they would. Be better if they did. And the only difference in price is $40 bucks for gas and travel any thing over 30 minutes and no one has a problem with that because its hard to get any kind of service here. The only other company is Roto Rooter who is more expensive than me even with my extra travel charge.
                Yellow pages and phone books are a scam. Unfortunatly, they are a neccesary evil. We advertise in books that cover a larger area than we really service because we want to get the town that is right next to us. We decide on a case by case basis if we will take the job or not. It usually depends on how busy we are with other jobs or if someone had refered us.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                  Yellow pages and phone books are a scam. Unfortunatly, they are a neccesary evil. We advertise in books that cover a larger area than we really service because we want to get the town that is right next to us. We decide on a case by case basis if we will take the job or not. It usually depends on how busy we are with other jobs or if someone had refered us.
                  You got that right. So many books covering such a small area and population is unnecessary. But it is what it is. Just like any other business
                  They are there to make money. I don't agree on how they do it. But it is what it is and I just pay it because they know we need it.
                  Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                    That works for you and that's great but that encourages that kind of behavior with the customers making it more difficult for the rest of us out there to get our price unless we play the same game. While it's easier to allow for them beating you down on your price, it's better (in my opinion) to stand behind your prices as a show of pride in your quality of work and service.

JMHO though.

I agree with Trent2, I won't be beat down in price, my prices are fair and I have other places I can go to work. I was talking to a local trailer park manager the other day she had RR there giving her a bid on replacing a section of mainline pipe. He gave her a quote of $4000. She told him that she was only the manager and had to get authorization from the owner. He then told her that he would do it for $2500, and she again told him that she had to get authorization, which she did. The owner told her that if they dropped it another $500 they had the job. They did the job, but, the manager feels that if they could drop their price in half so easily, how much have they overpaid in the years they have been using them. So, I have the account now because I'm local and RR is not, they have to drive up the mountain about 35 miles and they waffle on their price. I hate trailers....but its work, and i don't pass up on work.
                    The Other Rick

Comment

You all know my response already

Broke or not, I don't call up or talk to my customers how broke I am, and that I need work.

I would of told this guy to name his price, I'll do it for that, act as desperate as he was for the work and tell him I was walking out the door right the **** now to go do his job 40 miles away for what he's asking.

And then never show up,

Wait till he calls, tell him I'm still on my way. "I'm still on my way, I got caught in traffic and I have to stop here to take care of something, get materials for your job, just in case."

Midnight rolls around and then you call him, tell him you just pulled down his road. Of course, do this on your cell phone in your truck/van with the motor running.

When he says no, or won't answer the phone, start fake crying that you have mouths to feed and you spent $50 to come out there and you're sitting at the end of the road waiting to come in, from the cold.

IDGAF who you are, you're not playing lets make a deal with me. Here's the G-damn price and I don't care who you are and what your problem is, find another fool to play in your **** because that is what it is and I don't give discounts for that dangerous exposure.

Let that fool chase down the list of many. That's not a potential earnings I just missed...

that's a casualty just waiting to unfold for being sympathetic to one's ignorance. I don't like working for the ignorant. Makes my business look bad.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm as nice as can be when dealing with customers trying to negotiate a lower price, matter of fact and business like. I NEVER EVER lower my initial quote unless the scope of work changes. If you do all you are doing is confirming in their minds that you were charging to much in the first place.

Thats my $.02 nonnegotiable

wookie

Comment

Speaking of the yellow pages, about 5 years ago our inept account rep completely left us out of the phone book. No ad in any category. We raised the roof with them and got a years free advertising the following year along with some upgrades. Ironically, our numbers were up %15 for that year with no ad.

Comment

Theres an easy answer....Refer them to one of the CHEAP guys.It seems like theres one of them everywhere you know the any drain for $ _ _ guys after they get paid to do it 4 or 6 times your price will look much better

Comment

Working...
                            X