Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just my luck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Just my luck

    In a small city near me in Seattle I saw their city guys in a front yard with an excavator tearing up the yard so I stopped and asked what they where doing on private property? They said the line was a 6" line and they fix it for free
    anything 6" and bigger. Wow I have a house on that street with a 4" line and was bummed no free sewer for me, but I wager most of the city residents don't know about this little free possible job either so when I see plumbers doing side sewers I just drive by and smile.
    Seattle Drain Service

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Just my luck

      What a bunch of horsecrap!! I would seriously be calling in or having the customer call in after every drain cleaning :-D. Eventually they'll back off I would imagine. Theres no way they can justify wasting that much time on that sort of thing.

      Heck i'd even get a camera, use it on the job and then still have them come out and inspect it just to waste their time. Eventually someone will notice and it'll get cut from the budget because it's extremely wasteful.


      The city should NOT be doing any contractors work!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Just my luck

        The best advice I've seen is to take it to the media. Local paper, tv, radio, whatever. Once people find out that thier tax dollars are being used to give people free work they'll be pissed.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Just my luck

          Too bad they didnt pay you to do the work.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Just my luck

            There is a down side to taking it to the media. Your letting your customer base know that what you've been charging them for they can now get for free from the city. It would be like giving free advertising to your competition.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Just my luck

              Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              The City of Naperville has been televising home owners sewers at no cost to the home owner for years. I was going to get into the relining of sewer systems, the year we got approved for the equipment for relining, I found out that Naperville has been installing clean outs on the home owners property 15 from the house, power rodding the sewers with 6" cutters, then lining the sewers from the clean out to the city sewer.

              There is no way I could compete with that.
              Are they charging the homeowner for all that service?

              Wonder what the taxes are in naperville?
              Every city/town/village is different though. In Oak Park, IL and many other surronding towns it's the homeowner's problem all the way to the tap to the city main. Other towns kiss the homeowner's butt (like Cicero). Usually in the name of politics

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Just my luck

                Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                Are they charging the homeowner for all that service?

                Wonder what the taxes are in naperville?
                Every city/town/village is different though. In Oak Park, IL and many other surronding towns it's the homeowner's problem all the way to the tap to the city main. Other towns kiss the homeowner's butt (like Cicero). Usually in the name of politics
                They do not charge the home owner one red cent.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Just my luck

                  Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  They do not charge the home owner one red cent.
                  Our prices for camera service are slightly higher

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Just my luck

                    Originally posted by fresnoplummr View Post
                    There is a down side to taking it to the media. Your letting your customer base know that what you've been charging them for they can now get for free from the city. It would be like giving free advertising to your competition.

                    This is what I was thinking. I'm in an area where everyone in this town is related or knows everyone small out of the way city. I'm not from around here so I'm the outsider city slicker who moved into town. That just happens to provide a very fair and honest run business.
                    If I go to town hall meetings and start explaining all I will here is oh that's just that city guy from Mass who thinks he's better than us. And that how they think.
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                    Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Just my luck

                      well you will get the last laugh when they break it.
                      Seattle Drain Service

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Just my luck

                        Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                        This is what I was thinking. I'm in an area where everyone in this town is related or knows everyone small out of the way city. I'm not from around here so I'm the outsider city slicker who moved into town. That just happens to provide a very fair and honest run business.
                        If I go to town hall meetings and start explaining all I will here is oh that's just that city guy from Mass who thinks he's better than us. And that how they think.

                        Good point Rod! I didn't realize you are a Ma$$hole (easy now, just playing with ya)
                        You are correct! Being a transplant and bringing this to a small town town meeting would not work in your favor. Your business ethics will not matter, they will only see another guy that couldn't get out of his town fast enough and now he wants to make OUR town just like his.

                        Maybe you'd be better off meeting with the town manager privately. Explain your situation and bring up all the liability issues.

                        Do you have a relationship with the local sewer dept?
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Just my luck

                          Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                          Good point Rod! I didn't realize you are a Ma$$hole (easy now, just playing with ya)
                          You are correct! Being a transplant and bringing this to a small town town meeting would not work in your favor. Your business ethics will not matter, they will only see another guy that couldn't get out of his town fast enough and now he wants to make OUR town just like his.

                          Maybe you'd be better off meeting with the town manager privately. Explain your situation and bring up all the liability issues.

                          Do you have a relationship with the local sewer dept?
                          Yes, work with the sewer dept. on a few times good guys. What burns my buns is they made it so you had to camera the line to the city if were going to dig near the street and they said we are going to give you all the camera work. Then whamo they bought a camera and did service for free.
                          Funny thing about Ma$$holes it's true I hate them too and I'm one of them . Worked in Boston and the rudeness glad I'm out of there.
                          Even if I was running a business down there. City DPW should not be touching anything not city property. The next town over has a camera and won't touch Home owner lines. I would be ticked if they were taking any kind of work from tradesmen.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                          Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Just my luck

                            well I hope you get a seesnake and when their camera breaks you can take over all camera work for the city and charge them even though the residents don't have to pay, be sure to keep a cover over your machine and don't say what brand it is so they can't buy one
                            Seattle Drain Service

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Just my luck

                              Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                              The best advice I've seen is to take it to the media. Local paper, tv, radio, whatever. Once people find out that thier tax dollars are being used to give people free work they'll be pissed.
                              Or.... they all line up to use the "free" service. As long as they feel like they're getting something for nothing, they don't care.

                              I'd sit back and wait. If they fail, be prepared to take advantage, if they are successful, well, to hell with 'em.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Just my luck

                                Several years ago (about 7) the City of Chicago decided to take repair responsibility for the lateral lines on buildings four units and smaller. They will do a deemed "necessary" repair from the property line to the city main once the property owner can prove that the break is within their(city) area.
                                This is done with a licensed drain contractor video inspecting the line with a city drain inspector witnessing.
                                Here is the kicker. The drain contractor has to do the video inspection with their company equipment, provide a VHS tape to the inspector, and locate the area to be repaired and be liable for the accuracy of the locate for someone else to repair it!
                                This took away alot of revenue from the drain companies!
                                BTW The property owner has the burden of cost to prove the city liability.
                                I have done alot of these called "Private Drain Program"s since it started.
                                Some of the inspectors have sondes and receivers (Goldak) but for refuse to use them for the reason of the inspector does not want to be responsible for the equipment and the locate.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X