Charmin toilet paper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charmin toilet paper

Recently a subdivision here banded the use of Charmin toilet tissue. Do you drain cleaning guys see a trend in certain kinds of tissue causing trouble? This subdivision has its on lagoon and lift stations.
    It sounds funny to me. Is there anything to it?

Re: Charmin toilet paper

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
    Recently a subdivision here banded the use of Charmin toilet tissue. Do you drain cleaning guys see a trend in certain kinds of tissue causing trouble? This subdivision has its on lagoon and lift stations.
    It sounds funny to me. Is there anything to it?
    Also working in the private septic area, yes there are some tissues that do not break down well at all.

Depends also on the DWV system design, materials, and water turnover.

J.C.

Comment

i tell all my customers with roots or orangeburg not to use charmin, it does takes a while for it to break down.

Comment

How is this to be enforced?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The joke is that they are going to have to hire a Charmin cop. Ha HA. I really don't know how they will stop the use of a certain tissue.

Comment

I don't normally look at these plumbing posts, but noticing the title I just had to take a look.

Not a plumber for sure, but my wife bought some Charmin years ago when it first came out and the first thing that I noticed was that it didn't absorb the water when you dropped a wad of it in the toilet. It just floated there.

We have our own house and I immediately saw this a potential problem. We threw out the roll, took it back or something... but we never used it and we've never purchased it again.

Last thing I need is for a toilet to back up.

CWS

Comment

Someday we Americans will get rid of this stupid toilet paper fetish we have.

Comment

I am in the septic pumping and repair business. Without question, Charmin, Cottonelle and Northern are responsible for %90 of all non-environmental back-ups we see. Charmin even says septic safe on the package. I have seen these papers cause tremendous damage to homes from these back-ups. I am just waiting to see a class-action law firm on t.v. wanting to know if your house has been damaged by Charmin. It's coming and you heard it first on the forum.

Comment

All of the soft, multi layer rolls of paper have been great for us. Perfect to cause a soft blockage. We recommend Scott single ply for places that have a paper issue.

Comment

An old septic guy told me the best way to tell if a toilet paper is safe to flush is to get your hands on an empty jar with a lid. Fill it half way with water. Add a square of the toilet paper and put the lid on. Shake the jar for 15 to 20 seconds, and if the paper is in little pieces the toilet paper is safe. If it is all clumped together, then it will cause problems.

I had a lady we rod her sewer every two years for tree roots. Then all of sudden she started to block up every couple weeks, but the blockage was under the house in the building drains, The building sewer was running fine. By the third time of this I asked her if she changed toilet paper. She said yea about a month ago I got one of them super sized packs of Charmin. So I told her to go back to her old paper and see what happens. Well a whole month went by and no blockages. She gave the rest of the Charmin to her neighbor she didn't like.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I love that stuff. It makes for easy cleanings. I love it when the home owners looks at you like your crazy when you tell them that its the paper.

Comment

It's to the point now that when a customer calls with a backup, we simply ask, Charmin Northern or Cottonelle? They usually respond with "Why Carmin of course, my husband won't use anything else". When we arrive at the scene, tough guy is blaming his wife with having to have it. Neither will own up to being the cause of the back-up. I have even had people tell me they don't care, they are not getting rid of their charmin!

Comment

keep buying Charmin. and keep flushing America we need the money.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

this is very interesting. we, personally, use Charmin and have been doing so for years. i can say there has never been a toilet blockage in any house i've lived in since i moved to the Caribbean. there is some of the worst plumbing on the planet done here. plus environmental issues keep me busy

our house has is approaching 32 years old and has the original CI main & laterals. even when our "house guest" was here for 2 years we never had a problem. and he used the paper mitten several times a day. he'd go through a roll in less than a week.

while some papers don't break down as easy as others i find the amount of paper used is more of a contributing factor than the brand. dental floss and CI is a recipe for blockages

just my observation and $.02 before taxes

steve
                            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingbee View Post
                              I am in the septic pumping and repair business. Without question, Charmin, Cottonelle and Northern are responsible for %90 of all non-environmental back-ups we see. Charmin even says septic safe on the package. I have seen these papers cause tremendous damage to homes from these back-ups. I am just waiting to see a class-action law firm on t.v. wanting to know if your house has been damaged by Charmin. It's coming and you heard it first on the forum.
                              I think you are right about the class action lawsuit. BUTTTT I think it will be about the damage TP does to to our butts. Baby wipes have a warning about stop using if irritation occurs. What about TP? Why do 50% of all of us over 30 have trouble with roids? TP thats why. Some lawyer will try for a class action lawsuit eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X