Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/8" IC vs 3/4" IC cable running from 4" to 6"

Howdy guys,
    I usually run sectional machines for really heavy root blockages, but have recently started using a drum machine for inside rodding in tight areas. My typical application for the drum is a 3" or 3.5" cleanout on a 4" CI stack going to 4" CI under the house and then into 6" clay once outside the house. Typically no longer than 85'-100' max

The machine I purchased (sewermatic 100 used) came with a 5/8" cable. I've used it against roots 4 times now and have not had any problems. 3 were either maintenance rodding or minor root blockages. 1 was to rod the sanitary branch until it tied in with the main (from Catch Basin outside). That one had a lot of roots, but it handled it ok.

I have yet to attempt a major root infestation with this setup alone. I usually pull out the KM-1500 for those.

The 5/8" cable is listed for 3"-6" lines, so my though is that I should be good for most any blockage with this cable and sharp cutters. The machine can run 3/4" cable too, but the drum only holds 50' so I'd have to re-load for most situations

Any experiences to share?

Anyone have a horror story with 5/8"IC cable in roots?

Re: 5/8" IC vs 3/4" IC cable running from 4" to 6"

I have always considered 5/8th good flexable line for 3" pipe. But I know a few people that run it for everything! I use 3/4 just to have that extra strength. But my 1065 holds less 3/4 and it is heavy plus I have to carry extra cable. I have considered using the .66 spartan cable.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I use to have a general speedrooter with 5/8" cable, i would use it on 6"line with roots. it takes some time if you get into bad roots. You have to start with a small blade and work your way up to a bigger blade. It works but it can be time consuming.

Unlike the 1 h.p. electric eel i run now The eel with kick you out of the way just to get to the root buffet!

Comment

I have a Gorlitz GO 62 with 5/8 Love it for septic lines under 50 feet. Smaller machine in and out quicker.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          I use to have a general speedrooter with 5/8" cable, i would use it on 6"line with roots. it takes some time if you get into bad roots. You have to start with a small blade and work your way up to a bigger blade. It works but it can be time consuming.

Unlike the 1 h.p. electric eel i run now The eel with kick you out of the way just to get to the root buffet!
          Thanks for sharing your experience with the general machine. I'm only using this for shorter runs inside where I can't get anything bigger than a 3" U-cutter through the 3-1/2" clean out anyway. I usually start with the 2" and then go to the 3".

This system allows me to take the KM-1500 and the Spartan 100 off the truck and ride with just the K-39, K-50 and the Sewermatic. I can handle about 85% of my drain cleaning with those and pull out the 1500 for the particularly nasty ones. Keep the truck lighter and makes more room for tools, parts and stock. I do renovation work when I'm not doing service.

So far so good, but I'll definitely post if I run into a problem.

Thanks guys and happy holidays
          -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            Thanks for sharing your experience with the general machine. I'm only using this for shorter runs inside where I can't get anything bigger than a 3" U-cutter through the 3-1/2" clean out anyway. I usually start with the 2" and then go to the 3".

This system allows me to take the KM-1500 and the Spartan 100 off the truck and ride with just the K-39, K-50 and the Sewermatic. I can handle about 85% of my drain cleaning with those and pull out the 1500 for the particularly nasty ones. Keep the truck lighter and makes more room for tools, parts and stock. I do renovation work when I'm not doing service.

So far so good, but I'll definitely post if I run into a problem.

Thanks guys and happy holidays
            -Chris
            chris, we're just about on the same page

i too took off some of my machines to get rid of excessive weight and floor space. i swapped my k-1500 with a timberwolf. i removed the k-7500 and kept the k-60, k-50 and k-39.

if i really wanted to, i could remove the k-50 as the k-60 does run the 5/8'' cable too. but i kept it as it's lighter for running on top of laundry machines.

with this combo. i can do 99% of drains.

have you thought of running a k-60 and dumping the sewermatic? takes up less room and you don't need a loading ramp. also a timberwolf for the 1.25'' cable

definitely much lighter and less space.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              chris, we're just about on the same page

i too took off some of my machines to get rid of excessive weight and floor space. i swapped my k-1500 with a timberwolf. i removed the k-7500 and kept the k-60, k-50 and k-39.

if i really wanted to, i could remove the k-50 as the k-60 does run the 5/8'' cable too. but i kept it as it's lighter for running on top of laundry machines.

with this combo. i can do 99% of drains.

have you thought of running a k-60 and dumping the sewermatic? takes up less room and you don't need a loading ramp. also a timberwolf for the 1.25'' cable

definitely much lighter and less space.

rick.
              Hey Rick,
              I've thought about the Timberwolf and asked the guys in the shop and some friends in the trade....I'm a bit leary of it. I actually need the1500 quite a bit. I run a lot of 6" clay heavy roots. When I have a call that I suspect of being nasty, the 1500 goes out. Maybe I'll have to fly you out for a demo haha!

The sewermatic helps keep things clean inside, and it's surprisingly light. No ramp needed with the loading wheel and the stair rollers! Pretty easy in and out through the side door and has a nice spot next right behind the cab. It actually doesn't take up much more room than a K-400 or a Spartan 100 and I've got 5/8" cable and a ballsy 3/4 HP motor! It also disassembles, which I like a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a K-60, but I can't justify a big purchase right now

I can still hold out hope for Santa..... For now, I'll just have to be good to my customers for goodness sake and keep on keepin' on!

Comment

Hi Rick,

I see your in lb and im here in hb. Was a wondering if I can send u pm. It appears your pm box is full..

Thanks
                Erik

Comment

Originally posted by BraveHeartCalif View Post
                  Hi Rick,

I see your in lb and im here in hb. Was a wondering if I can send u pm. It appears your pm box is full..

Thanks
                  Erik
                  actually i'm in la/ los angeles. my mailbox is purposely full

send "MrsSeatdown" a p.m. with your contact info and i'll contact you

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X