X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am glad I have the machines.

When I started plumbing I was in a shop that did everything. So I learned all I could, and found service plumbing to be very rewarding i.e. you see the money you make the boss, customer satisfaction etc.

I also learned sewer rodding.

Unfortunately, this is a part of the trade many plumbers avoid...thus much of this business has gone to the "drain" companies. Often I get the question, "do you rod/clean drain lines?"

So when I started my business I bought the machines outright. A K1500, K50, toilet auger, 3/8 drain auger, and a couple months ago a used Seesnake and Scout.

Its slow, and I am able to clean drains...

I am glad I have the machines.

Re: I am glad I have the machines.

i've said it a hundred times

75% of my income is now from drain related issues.

honestly. having 2 trucks with tons of repair parts and piping is crazy as all i really need is drain cleaners and assorted equipment with minimal parts.

adam has listened wisely and has been able to transition into drain cleaning quite easily

so when is the k-60 on the wish list

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Cleaning drains is all I do. I honestly hope to never sweat another joint. I've got good plumbers to refer my customers to for that work. My plumbers have me to refer their customers to for drain issues. I can't drive two trucks at once, and can't park one big enough to do it all, and don't even want to try.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        I've got good plumbers to refer my customers to for that work. My plumbers have me to refer their customers to for drain issues.
        same here

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

The plumbing here in michigan is slow, there are lots of people that are trying to do it them selfs, or calling a "handyman".

Drain Cleaning makes up about 70% of my business, and that is very steady work. I have found that homeowners are renting sewer machines. They never no how to correctly use the machine and after a few rentals of the machine they have to call me to properly cable the drain. they end up spending more money on the rental when they should call a qualified person first. any thing to save a buck! I had two of those calls this week.

Comment

If it was not for drain cleaning I would be homeless .
            I worked for RR for a long time got hurt and was let go
            Bought a home in Northern, NH was doing plumbing again part time with a local company really nice guy. Had to let me go because of no work
            Had equipment in storage in Mass. Then My house backed up could not get anyone to clear the line. So jumped in my truck and brought my equipment up cleared my line "Wait" I'll roll the dice and start my own drain company. It worked have been growing every year. The guy I worked for before we give each other work and it works great we are surviving. April 2010 he put a bid in on the building of the new court house and if he wins will need my help

Thank God for drains. My machines and the skills to use them
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

If I only did drains & inspections here, I would starve. I think I might like it if I could though.

Just not that many drain problems for whatever reason. I've asked others that also do drains there % and it's small.

One RR person in the area. One.

One ARS person whose house I pass morning, evening, and sometimes in-between. I'd say they are home 75%+ the amount of times I pass by. (ARS is a big-similar company to RR)

So fortunately or unfortunately I have to rough in, remodel, repair daily with a drain when it comes.

No complaints. I feel fortunate to be busy.

J.C.

Comment

I agree; drain cleaning has always been a stable source of income.

I do a lavatory or kitchen sink almost weekly in biz.

I'll stare at the black pond of death anytime, as long as I'm in a 3 digit category and matches a small car loan payment, I'm on it!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                X