Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: roots

Don't add it to the list

I promised myself a week off this year and have run out of time so I started today.

I have just had too much time on my hands and this was only the first day...lol

Tomorrow I think I will make a better version of the "Spider Head Cutter"

Bill

Comment

Bump.

Bill, any feedback on your monster cutter heads?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Run a retriever and get a bite to see what you are dealing with then send in the Ridgid Sharktooth Cutter or the Spiral Root Saw and as a last resort if I want to drill to China I put on the Sawtooth Cutter

If I really want to impress the customers I pull out the Ridgid

"Spider Head Cutter" Once they see this cutter all of the homeowners worries go away.

On many jobs around here if I were to ever get that monstrosity down I don't think I would ever be able to get it back out

Comment

help me out with that cutter

considering the cutter coupling requires a rectangular 3/8'' slot, how do you take your cutters and rotate them and expect them to stay in that position without milling and welding

looks impressive, but i'm confused on the assembly of the blades

lets see them laid out without the coupling

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Calm down
            Bill's only kidding

Is it safe to call the phone yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
              after you find roots in the line and run a auger down till you come back clean is it still good to run a c-cutter or what order do you guys do? and what the heii is a whip?
              A whip is just a part of a cable that is put in a vise and bent in several places giving it more actshion and a bigger cleaning path.It is meant for soap or grease. It kind of works on the same principle as an egg whip to mix the water with the mush and beat up the soap chunks. General sells one already made. I go down first with an arrow head first to cut out some of the roots and check the line and get the water going, if that go's ok I send down a mid. size C cutter to cut a bigger hole then finish up with a C cutter as big as the pipe .If I send down a big cutter first it might get hung by a root wad, broken tile, etc. that is why I go in steps. Some around here will put the mid. size cutter down for there only pass if it opens it is good enough for them and they leave the rest of the roots in, if they cant get through then they call the back hoe. A whip is meant to be used a long with other cutters not as the only cutter and it is not a root cutter.

Comment

that thing looks evil!!!!! Fear the teeth it bites much harder than a whip

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  help me out with that cutter

considering the cutter coupling requires a rectangular 3/8'' slot, how do you take your cutters and rotate them and expect them to stay in that position without milling and welding

looks impressive, but i'm confused on the assembly of the blades

lets see them laid out without the coupling

rick.
                  Thanks Rick thats my question as the cable rotates and when the blades strike a root they would all end up in the same alignment unless welded or held by some other means in the the position shown in the photo.

Tony

Comment

I use bent leaders, maybe 18" long with maybe not quite a 45 about 3" from the end, with cutter heads on them. I consider them crucial tools for several things; getting into swept cleanouts against the sweep, turning into the outlet leg of crosses/back-to-back double san-t's, and doing a decent job in a larger dia line where the access is from a smaller line, say a three inch access at a pulled toilet into a line that steps up to four inch with no other access.

I do use a 1/4" cable with noting but a bent up end on tubs/showers.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                      Thanks Rick thats my question as the cable rotates and when the blades strike a root they would all end up in the same alignment unless welded or held by some other means in the the position shown in the photo.

Tony
                      thanks tony, but as adam informed me it was a joke. so i guess the joke was on us as we didn't know it was meant as a joke

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, It was in fun, the name made all the difference IMO

I just took a couple of cutter sets and put them together.... If you look at the picture closely you can see all of the blades are above the slot in the holder (making this cutter completly non functional). It would be easy to make a functional one but a cutter within a cutter is kinda pointless and may even be a hazard in the wrong line.

It looks cool though
                        Last edited by OkieBill; 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X