X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the Kinetic Water Ram any good?

All I can tell you it does what it was designed to do. It clears blockages. My grandfather had one, my father, and I do too. I have my grandfathers Air gun in the office, it is one of the originals that did not have a built in pump. You had to use a bicycle pump to fill it.

Can it blow pipes apart? Yes it can if you are not careful. Can you get splashed? Yes you can again if you are not careful.

I have used mine on kitchen sinks, lavatory sinks, bath tubs laundry tubs, floor drains and even water lines that seem to have weak pressure.

For drains you want to make sure you are dealing with good properly connected pipes. If the sink waste piping is leaking or thin enough where you can push your finger through it, do not bother using the Ram. If the pipes are good , solid and installed properly you want to start off with 5 PSI and increase it in 5 PSI intervals till the line clears. You have to remember it is not the air pressure that is breaking up the stoppage it is the shock wave that is transmitted in the water to the blockage.

Do not get me wrong this will not unclog every drain you come upon. Just like any other tool, you need to know when and when not to use it along with how to use it. If you are up against back to back sinks you do not want to use it unless you got some help to stop up the other sink so you do not blast the mess in to the other room.

Now for weak water pressure. Lets say you get a call and they say they have good hot water flow in their lavatory sink but the tub is running real slow. You go ahead and turn off the hot water to the home. Go ahead and open the hot side of the lav sink and remove the aerator. Remove the tub spout and turn the hot on the tub faucet. Pump up the water ram to 80 PSI and hook it up to the pipe where the tube spout was, and snap the trigger. Bet put a towel over the lav faucet so you do not get sprayed with rust and such. Turn the faucets off, turn the hot water back on and check to see if you solved the problem 99% of the times it works for me on the first try.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I use my Ram on bathtubs with inaccessible drum traps only.

It works perfectly, along with my plunger.

All else gets a cable since it is a more effective way of cleaning and I dont like recalls (recalls are bad for business)

However...

About four months ago I went to a 6pm call at a second floor commercial kitchen for a floor drain under an ice machine.

I checked to find that nothing else was backing up in the kitchen, and no sinks were backing up into this floor drain.

After many passes of 3/8 and 1/2 cable with no success I went downstairs and looked in the drop ceiling.

Above electrical conduits approx. 8 feet above the drop ceiling I could see after the 2 inch ptrap the pipe went about 4 feet to a 3x2 T which dropped 4ft to the 4 inch main.

Above the T the vent reduced to 2 inch and 90'd off to somewhere.

I kept going up the vent for some reason. I suspected that a blockage in the T was causing my cable to deflect upward.

Opening the pipe in that space above electrical conduit was not an option as far as I was concerned, so I went and tried some more with cable.

After two hours I realized this wasnt going to work and planned on temporarily rerouting the ice machine / drink station to another drain.

Problem was it would have to cross an area that the staff had to pass. It was 8pm at this point and the ram crossed my frazzled mind.

So long story short (too late) one shot with the ram at 40 psi worked.

Flushed with a hose full blast, no problem, no leaks downstairs. Thank you Ram. This was about four months ago and no recall or further problems downstream.

Anything that helps me get the water flowing is what I need on my truck.

The Ram is an essential drain cleaning tool as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to talk about an unnecessary drain cleaning "tool" I would vote for pressure bags. I never got one drain open with a pressure bag in the three or four years I used them. I stopped using them over 10 years ago.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

"Quote" If you want to talk about an unnecessary drain cleaning "tool" I would vote for pressure bags. I never got one drain open with a pressure bag in the three or four years I used them. I stopped using them over 10 years ago.

I get a lot of calls for gutter downspout drains, these are some of the worst drains to clean often left over flowing for years, uncovered rocks,dirt etc.
        The people never want to spend a lot it's just the gutter drain right?
        Anyway I tweak more cables on these then anything else.
        I started using blow bags on these to get them flowing and they work great.
        After they get flowing I can then cable them.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          I use my Ram on bathtubs with inaccessible drum traps only.

It works perfectly, along with my plunger.

All else gets a cable since it is a more effective way of cleaning and I dont like recalls (recalls are bad for business)

However...

About four months ago I went to a 6pm call at a second floor commercial kitchen for a floor drain under an ice machine.

I checked to find that nothing else was backing up in the kitchen, and no sinks were backing up into this floor drain.

After many passes of 3/8 and 1/2 cable with no success I went downstairs and looked in the drop ceiling.

Above electrical conduits approx. 8 feet above the drop ceiling I could see after the 2 inch ptrap the pipe went about 4 feet to a 3x2 T which dropped 4ft to the 4 inch main.

Above the T the vent reduced to 2 inch and 90'd off to somewhere.

I kept going up the vent for some reason. I suspected that a blockage in the T was causing my cable to deflect upward.

Opening the pipe in that space above electrical conduit was not an option as far as I was concerned, so I went and tried some more with cable.

After two hours I realized this wasnt going to work and planned on temporarily rerouting the ice machine / drink station to another drain.

Problem was it would have to cross an area that the staff had to pass. It was 8pm at this point and the ram crossed my frazzled mind.

So long story short (too late) one shot with the ram at 40 psi worked.

Flushed with a hose full blast, no problem, no leaks downstairs. Thank you Ram. This was about four months ago and no recall or further problems downstream.

Anything that helps me get the water flowing is what I need on my truck.

The Ram is an essential drain cleaning tool as far as I'm concerned.
          I had a similar job. Was at a factory, second floor mechanical room. It had a 3" slop sink that drained just fine, the problem was a 2" cast iron floor drain. It was one of them 2" P-traps with a clean out on the very bottom of the trap. No matter what rodder I used it always got hung up on that clean out , just could not get past that to make the next turn. Opening the clean out was not an option since it was over 20' in the air. So I used my water ram, blew the line open, and all the water along with ear plugs, cigarette butts and other debris that I could not catch fast enough drained right on down. I ran water in the drain for another 10 minutes afterwords was flowing like a brand new drain. That was over 10 years ago, we still do work at this factory and that drain has never plugged up again.

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          If you want to talk about an unnecessary drain cleaning "tool" I would vote for pressure bags. I never got one drain open with a pressure bag in the three or four years I used them. I stopped using them over 10 years ago.
          Canvas sludge bags have their time and place just like any other drain cleaning tool. I had a sludged up over head sewer line a month or so ago. Rodded it with multiple cutters and the line just did not want to clear. We put the sludge bag in the line, and after 10 minutes of letting it do its job the sewer was flowing again. I would never start with a sludge back for a sewer line, you have to make sure any solid obstructions like tree roots and such are cleared out.

I like to use them on garage drains when you know the blockage is right in the trap. I get called out to a garage that has 6" floor drains and 9 times out of 10 the blockage is in the p-trap. Set up the 6" sludge bag, clear the drains and flush the main sewer, all is good.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The air ram works. Have used it on drum traps, coffee bean stations at Dunkin Donuts and odd ball plumbing that home owner installed with no problem. If people are blowing out pipes and making a mess its because they don't know how to use it. I have owned mine for 15 years and never had problems ever.
            Canvas pressure bags come in very handy when snaking and there is not enough water weight behind the clog to push the sludge out.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I don't have one but I intend on buying one. It costs me $25. plus tax to rent one and I have had to rent one twice. I live in an RV and from time to time the toilet plugs up. I have to open the tank up and use the Kinetic Water ram to clear it out. The first thing that I do is to take a shop vac and clean the standing water in the toilet, then I use the ram with at least 40 pounds pressure to clear the drain. If you don't vacuum the bowl you will get sprayed with what ever is in the bowl. When it is cleared out you can see what you are doing better as you want to have a good seal when you shoot the air into the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicklet View Post
                I don't have one but I intend on buying one. It costs me $25. plus tax to rent one and I have had to rent one twice. I live in an RV and from time to time the toilet plugs up. I have to open the tank up and use the Kinetic Water ram to clear it out. The first thing that I do is to take a shop vac and clean the standing water in the toilet, then I use the ram with at least 40 pounds pressure to clear the drain. If you don't vacuum the bowl you will get sprayed with what ever is in the bowl. When it is cleared out you can see what you are doing better as you want to have a good seal when you shoot the air into the drain.

You're sucking all the water from the toilet then using the ram ? If so it's not kinetic energy (what it was designed for) that's clearing the blockage you're just blowing it open with air pressure. Kinetic energy doesn't travel through air.

Comment

The blockage that I get is just before the black water tank. It has nothing to do with the bowl and what is in it. You can't even reach the blockage with a toilet snake. This is the only way that I can clear my drain and I have talked to others that own RV and they have had the same problem and this is how the plumber clears it for them.

Comment

I only know that this is the only way that I can clear the drain by myself. I am not a plumber, just tries my best. They told me the first time that I rented it to crumple up a double page of the newspaper and open my bowl and stuff in into the pipe before I use the ram. Using it for a RV is a lot different then using it for the home. I never had this problem in my home but just about everyone I know that lives in an RV has this problem from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                    X