X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiral root saw cut a jim cap?

got a garage drain. 3" pvc, good cleanout; only 1 90 and about 4' total from the cleanout to the problem.

new house.

stubbed the garage drain out into gravel at the footer with the idea that the water would leach away.

which wouldn't work for long because of the sand that'll com off the cars as well, but would work a lot better if they'd taken the jim cap off the end of the pipe before they backfilled it.

I've told them it's a waste of effort as they need to dig it up and run it to daylight and pull heat tape through it if they want it to work. But they want the cap cut out anyway so they can maybe get enough drainage to get them to summer so the digging is easier.

I'm thinking spiral root saw, or maybe welding some razor blades to a two blader.

Any thoughts?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: spiral root saw cut a jim cap?

Grind sharp edges on C-cutter blades, done.

It's rubber, it'll cut no problem but you're going to get caught up in the rock instantly.

Sounds like a bad scenario with no good result.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've seen it done before. I was setting finish at a new Chevy dealership in Temecula some years back, and when it came time to test the fixtures it wouldn't drain. My boss called out a Rooter company thinking it must be construction debri and then a camera guy and what he found was a Jim cap at the end of the building sewer. When the Rooter company ran their sawtooth blade down the line it cut through 2 Jim Caps back to back. The pipe was never tied back together after testing from the groundwork crew. The problem was that it was not a clean cut and the Jim Caps were acting like check valves, so I had to dig up some asphalt and fernco the tie in back together correctly. No problems after that.

Comment

Start with a sawtooth cutter then go to the rootsaw.

Sawtooth will get you started a bit easier then the rootsaw can cut away.

Bill

Comment

Ordered the spiral saw, got tired of waiting for it, welded two utility knife blades to a c-cutter. Broke one off (hey, gimme a break; I'm welding thin stainless to thin spring steel... I'm surprised I got even the one to hold), but cut it out nicely... About 1/4" of it left.

kinda pointless as it'll have to be dug up anyway, but maybe it'll get them through til spring.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex, try a heavy duty band saw blade and a spot welder

the band saw blade is a true wood cutter. you can heat the blade and vise grip it to the existing blade, then spot weld it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X