Hello - Question in RE: Equip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - Question in RE: Equip

First time here and have been reading these forums diligently going over 2 days now. Im here in So Calif and Orange County to be exact. I started out in the seamless gutter biz and made good $$ during the last El Nino. At 220 pounds i got weary of hanging on rooflines, knowing one day i might fall off. So i went on to installing fiberoptic, CAT5/6 data networks. So now im going a differant direction and want to start out doing drain cleaning. I appreciate all of those who have contributed in sharing your special insight and experience. Its info like this that really can not only help a person like me learning the trade ins and outs; but also keep any major liabilities away too. So therefore I was able to find to find a good used Sparton 300, Gorlitz 1500a jetter and Sparton 81 w/ 1/4 @ 25'. The 300 has 75' 5/8 cable- Considering my area so calif, we dont have snow in the OC. And typically root growth is not as bad say as in the south etc. I was considering getting a Sparton 100 as the work horse but reading these forums. Im seriously considering either getting a k60 or a k50. Depending on the house if its single story and not a tile roof ill probably go in from the roof vent. If its a 2 story then ill work from the ground. Most homes here in the OC dont have large properties in the acres. Thats of course unless your in Cota De Caza or Newport Coast. Which i might get a few now and then. But mostly i think from what i can tell anything under 100' in my area is the typical cable run. Im 39 and had lower back surgery. So i have to be careful not to lift heavy things. I need a complete set of machines for the jobs. So based on what i have should i keep what i got and buy a k60 or k50. Or sell the 300 and the jetter and get ???? Please advise -

Thanks
    Erik

Re: Hello - Question in RE: Equip

Have you ever done any real drain cleaning before? Running machines etc. Plus check with your state you may need to be a licensed plumber.
    It's a tuff business not just jamming a snake down the sewer. Not understanding plumbing can put you at a serious disadvantage.
    Drain cleaning is not for everyone. It's dirty, dangerous, expensive no guarantee of making money.
    It takes time to master the skill of running cables and feeling the snake. Only a drain tech. would understand what I'm talking about the feeling of snaking bends torque etc.
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 12-24-2009, 04:22 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

have you cleaned any sewer before? Rodding sewers without any experience could be deadly.

Comment

What kind of service vehicle do you drive?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Good points made above. I would also like to point out if you've had lower back surgery its most likely not a good new line of work for you.Its hard work and even without preexisting back problems most will agree going home at the end of the day with an backache is not uncommon.Sure you can get cranes and such to help get equiptment in & out of the vechicle but it doesn't help get it up & down stairs across uneven ground soft ground and all the other stuff that makes a heavy machine feel even heavier.No matter how much one tries to avoid it its also not uncommon to have to work in a position (posture) that causes discomfort sometimes for days after

Comment

Owning my own seamless rain gutter biz i worked on many outside drains.

I have a trailer im using its 6'x10' - I dont think ill be going the service truck route. At least not for awhile -

Trying to fill in the gaps from what i have now to what i need. What do you all suggest?

Im thinking about the k-60. I really like the lightness factor especially when i cable the roof vents. What kind of blades do you suggest with this K-60?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            What kind of service vehicle do you drive?

Comment

Originally posted by BraveHeartCalif View Post
              Owning my own seamless rain gutter biz i worked on many outside drains.

I have a trailer im using its 6'x10' - I dont think ill be going the service truck route. At least not for awhile -

Trying to fill in the gaps from what i have now to what i need. What do you all suggest?

Im thinking about the k-60. I really like the lightness factor especially when i cable the roof vents. What kind of blades do you suggest with this K-60?
              erik, welcome

plenty of good reading here on the forum.

as far as blades go for the k-60, i prefer a spiral root saw for the majority of the stoppages i get into. for grease i like the 4 blade cutter. for the truly difficult jobs that nothing else will clear, i use my reverse wound auger.

all of this info is in the hundreds of threads and post found on the fourm

but the real issue is not if you can do it, it's what do you know about drains and piping and plumbing.

knowing how a system is installed is really the key to getting the job done. knowing what is connectd to what is the difference between a guy shoving a snake into a line and a guy knowing where to shove his snake

unfortunatly, cleaning drains is not a way to learn how the plumbing is run.

hopefully you can learn the skills and not hurt yourself, the machine or the lines.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick,

I tried looking at the online catalog

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Virtual-...alog/index.htm

And the link seems to be not working. Is there another place online i can find these blades? I read that the general cable and blades will interchange?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                erik, welcome

plenty of good reading here on the forum.

as far as blades go for the k-60, i prefer a spiral root saw for the majority of the stoppages i get into. for grease i like the 4 blade cutter. for the truly difficult jobs that nothing else will clear, i use my reverse wound auger.

all of this info is in the hundreds of threads and post found on the fourm

but the real issue is not if you can do it, it's what do you know about drains and piping and plumbing.

knowing how a system is installed is really the key to getting the job done. knowing what is connectd to what is the difference between a guy shoving a snake into a line and a guy knowing where to shove his snake

unfortunatly, cleaning drains is not a way to learn how the plumbing is run.

hopefully you can learn the skills and not hurt yourself, the machine or the lines.

rick.
                Last edited by BraveHeartCalif; 12-25-2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

hey

ERIC. are you listening. go see your surgeon. ask about the wisdom of this. breid.....

Comment

Welcome to the forum Erik, I am glad you decided to join. These guys are some of the best at what they do and I can tell you I have learned so much from them.

Comment

Working...
                    X