Septic or drain problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Septic or drain problem

Paper can break down over distance and become almost invisible.

You're close to exhausting all of your troubleshooting. IF you have a restriction as you say, then you might need a licensed, recommended, local plumber or drain cleaner to camera the pipe and possibly remove any obstructions.

J.C.

Comment

if it were me, i'd have someone come out and camera the line from the offending toilet to the CO to see wahts going on. sounds like a partial blockage/pipe issue to me

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Update: I suspected the clog was really close to the cleanout so I wiped the area clean and put my own tiny camera and light down in there to see if it could see anything. It was a longshot, but it worked... you can see the distgustingness in the attached photo.

The metal spike is a landscape spike from the landscaping recently done and extended about half way into the pipe. Obviously the guys drove it through the pipe. It's buried a bit and under mulch, so didn't occur to me to look for it until I saw the picture. I'm not sure what kind of repair here is necessary given the hole is on the top of the pipe. Obviously I removed the spike. I'm also not sure if the spike caused the blockage, or simply acted as a stop as it moved further down. I suspect the clog was here all along.

I fashioned a metal hook and with enough water from the other side, it broke up eventually. Thanks guys for the help. It saved me some money but more importantly learned a few things in the process...
        Attached Files

Comment

uncover the line where the spike is/was and repair the damage. any hole/void in a sewer line is a problem waiting to happen

congrats on the locate & clearing. now fix the problem

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bhlonewolf View Post
            Update: I suspected the clog was really close to the cleanout so I wiped the area clean and put my own tiny camera and light down in there to see if it could see anything. It was a longshot, but it worked... you can see the distgustingness in the attached photo.

The metal spike is a landscape spike from the landscaping recently done and extended about half way into the pipe. Obviously the guys drove it through the pipe. It's buried a bit and under mulch, so didn't occur to me to look for it until I saw the picture. I'm not sure what kind of repair here is necessary given the hole is on the top of the pipe. Obviously I removed the spike. I'm also not sure if the spike caused the blockage, or simply acted as a stop as it moved further down. I suspect the clog was here all along.

I fashioned a metal hook and with enough water from the other side, it broke up eventually. Thanks guys for the help. It saved me some money but more importantly learned a few things in the process...
            Good find. Why didn't you say you had a little camera to take a peek?

Ran into this before too. stxrus is right. Needs to be dug out and repaired. And the landscaper might have to pay for it....

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Good find. Why didn't you say you had a little camera to take a peek?

Ran into this before too. stxrus is right. Needs to be dug out and repaired. And the landscaper might have to pay for it....

J.C.
              OK great, good to know. As for the camera -- it wasn't a pipe camera-- just a small Flip video camera that I held down in the cleanout and pointed it upstream with a small flashlight. Just was dumb luck the clog was right there -- another 12 or so inches upstream and it would be beyond the field of focus.

My daughter got a camera for xmas and when she came in the TV room last night snapping pictures, it occurred to me I could do the same in the pipe.

Comment

Working...
              X