X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain Cleaning 2010 vs 1990

Originally posted by BIGgary View Post
    he put salt down wht drain, i told him to let it sit in there over night
    Any chance you were banned from the Ridgid Boards recently Biggary?

Comment

my daughter just bought me my first comeputer ever for christmas so im tryin to learn and run this thing

Comment

Who did mark bann?
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

my daughter just bought me my first comeputer ever for christmas so im tryin to learn and run this thing

You may ask jody1979 about help with those computer skills

Comment

So much for Biggary I guess...

Comment

it was funny
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

i tried cleaning my drain today, it wears my arm out turning the handle by hand i called sears they said hook a drill to it, wont that make the cable buck from going to fast or not
                Have I missed something or have I gone back in time buy a real drain machine and you won`t get a score arm.

Tony

Comment

tony, biggary was playing us. biggary and jody are the same person. know both banned.

now josh has the spammers at bay, it's up to us to spot the fakes

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Big Gary,
                    I would highly recomend the new Nikon S . E . W. E. R5 Camera, it is available from only me....Pm Me for special Pricing.

Comment

Here is the sad part of the whole story. Guy says " the last guy in the 1990's was $200 to snake it." Now you justify the increased cost due to your ability to televise the line and locate. So this guy in his minds eye can see another company or even yourself to just come and power rod the line for $200 bucks. 1990 is 20 years ago. Is your cost of business the same it was 20 years ago? Does your van cost the same? does gas cost the same? Insurance? In my eyes everything went up in the last 20 years, except what we are able to charge.

I have people that tell me 30 years ago we used to charge only $235.00 for a first hour to rod a main line our charge only went up $30 since then. In all reality we (meaning my company for sure) needs to raise our rates, but people out there with mind sets like the individual that said " the last guy in the 1990's was $200 to snake it." expects the price to never change.

Here is a good example of what is happening to a small company like mine. The following numbers are pulled from the air but the trend is accurate. I looked at the tax fillings from 1980, we grossed 500K after everyone got paid, employees, suppliers, insurance, licenses, permits, you get the idea all your overhead, the company's adjusted gross was 300K in 1990 we grossed 500K but all the expenses went up gas, insurance employee pay. So the adjusted gross was 200K. 2008 the gross was pretty much the same 500K but the expanse went way up since then so the adjusted gross is now less than 100K Now this year was a bad year I know when everything is tallied up our gross is going to be less than the 500K and our bottom line will be around that we cleared 20K.

Why is this happening? Its because we charge the same or near the same prices we charged 30 years ago, and the cost to do business goes up every year. Yea I can drum up more work hire another employee, and run another truck, but thats not going to help all that much due to the fact another truck and employee = more expense. Only way to fix it if we want to stay a legit business is to raise our rates. Whats keeping us from raising our rates any higher? Peoples mindset about how much they paid 20 or even 30 years ago and do not think it should cost any more.

I am sorry for the long post but seeing this happen to our industry along with other things like more and more product that is DIY friendly, and unlicensed handymen that do not have the expense of a legit business doing work like this for less than 200 bucks. It just makes me real sad. Plumbing and Drain cleaning when I was growing up was a Professional job that lots of men took pride in doing. I take pride in doing my job, I know all of you, Plumbers and Drain cleaners take pride in your job. I'll stop here cause I was about to start another rant.

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      Had a drain cleaning camera job today. Was called to just camera a SS line that was filling up. City Side Sewer card showed it was a 24" pipe that flowed to a 6" line to a wyee 6" side sewer tied in and went to street sewer. I arrived told him it had to be the sewer line and his money was better spent having me look at it instead, he agreed. Didn't get more than 30 seconds into it and found it was clogged. Snaked it with 4" blade to get it going, pulled back a lot of roots sent the camera in saw many root balls and seperations hit it with my spartan 1065 with 4" and 6" blades filled a 5 gallon bucket of roots, camera in again, still lots of roots but 50% where gone. Now we talk money and options, I say we are already at $500 for snaking and camera work (also located and marked the line) He asks what else can we do I say let me jet it joint to joint and camera it then rootx the line for another $400 to restore the line.(this is a 12 unit condo building) He says the last guy in the 1990's was $200 to snake it. I said did he camera the line, show you the condition and restore it? He said no. Go ahead and do it. Point is in the 90's I ran snakes out with different heads till I got no roots back and called it good seemed to work not a lot of call backs but some. Now year 2010 I am not satisfied with blind snake jobs. I snake, I camera, and do whatever is needed that is found with the camera. Some people can't afford anything but a snake job and I am fine with that but with all the advancements we have cameras.jetting,different types of snakes and cables and cutters, pipe patch! Cleaning drains is not just buying a snake and a little pick up anymore.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Here is the sad part of the whole story. Guy says " the last guy in the 1990's was $200 to snake it." Now you justify the increased cost due to your ability to televise the line and locate. So this guy in his minds eye can see another company or even yourself to just come and power rod the line for $200 bucks. 1990 is 20 years ago. Is your cost of business the same it was 20 years ago? Does your van cost the same? does gas cost the same? Insurance? In my eyes everything went up in the last 20 years, except what we are able to charge.

I have people that tell me 30 years ago we used to charge only $235.00 for a first hour to rod a main line our charge only went up $30 since then. In all reality we (meaning my company for sure) needs to raise our rates, but people out there with mind sets like the individual that said " the last guy in the 1990's was $200 to snake it." expects the price to never change.

Here is a good example of what is happening to a small company like mine. The following numbers are pulled from the air but the trend is accurate. I looked at the tax fillings from 1980, we grossed 500K after everyone got paid, employees, suppliers, insurance, licenses, permits, you get the idea all your overhead, the company's adjusted gross was 300K in 1990 we grossed 500K but all the expenses went up gas, insurance employee pay. So the adjusted gross was 200K. 2008 the gross was pretty much the same 500K but the expanse went way up since then so the adjusted gross is now less than 100K Now this year was a bad year I know when everything is tallied up our gross is going to be less than the 500K and our bottom line will be around that we cleared 20K.

Why is this happening? Its because we charge the same or near the same prices we charged 30 years ago, and the cost to do business goes up every year. Yea I can drum up more work hire another employee, and run another truck, but thats not going to help all that much due to the fact another truck and employee = more expense. Only way to fix it if we want to stay a legit business is to raise our rates. Whats keeping us from raising our rates any higher? Peoples mindset about how much they paid 20 or even 30 years ago and do not think it should cost any more.

I am sorry for the long post but seeing this happen to our industry along with other things like more and more product that is DIY friendly, and unlicensed handymen that do not have the expense of a legit business doing work like this for less than 200 bucks. It just makes me real sad. Plumbing and Drain cleaning when I was growing up was a Professional job that lots of men took pride in doing. I take pride in doing my job, I know all of you, Plumbers and Drain cleaners take pride in your job. I'll stop here cause I was about to start another rant.
                        That's the nail on the head Ron. The cost of living index is 3% annually last I checked and has been that way for awhile.

Know what that means? You have to increase charges 3% annually just the keep the same standard of living you've had. Provided you do the same volume, have similar tax positions & depreciations, if you don't do this then you are decreasing your standard of living voluntarily.

Thanks for the reminder.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          That's the nail on the head Ron. The cost of living index is 3% annually last I checked and has been that way for awhile.

Know what that means? You have to increase charges 3% annually just the keep the same standard of living you've had. Provided you do the same volume, have similar tax positions & depreciations, if you don't do this then you are decreasing your standard of living voluntarily.

Thanks for the reminder.

J.C.
                          So if we where getting $200 for a rod job no camrea or locating 20 years ago. 3% increase for cost of living over 20 years is 60% So if we mark up our work 60% that means today we should be getting $500 for the same job.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            So if we where getting $200 for a rod job no camrea or locating 20 years ago. 3% increase for cost of living over 20 years is 60% So if we mark up our work 60% that means today we should be getting $500 for the same job.
                            Sometimes I get crosseyed on the math and what I read. So definitely double check behind me.

But let's say you were getting $200.00 in 1990.

So, in 1991 you should be getting $206.00 with the 3% increase.

And so forth. Not just simply multiplying 3x20 if I understand correctly.

The percentage can also be obtained on the "backside" by reducing costs-but how often does that happen?

J.C.

Comment

In our area and I am sure this is prevalent elsewhere, there appears to be a mindset that just will not allow some people involved in service related businesses to charge a fee that will allow their business to grow or profit. It appears to be almost a mental block to the notion that you charge a fee that will cover all overhead and a targeted profit. I don't know how or why some of the people in this category stay in business other than the fact that they have no options. In all honesty, we charge the highest rates in our area and they are still not where they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                Sometimes I get crosseyed on the math and what I read. So definitely double check behind me.

But let's say you were getting $200.00 in 1990.

So, in 1991 you should be getting $206.00 with the 3% increase.

And so forth. Not just simply multiplying 3x20 if I understand correctly.

The percentage can also be obtained on the "backside" by reducing costs-but how often does that happen?

J.C.
                                You are right 3% in 1991 would be 206. I did kind of jump the gun there. So in 10 years the cost would of gone up to $272, and 20 years would be $368

The following is rounded to the nearest dollar.

1990 = $200
                                1991 = $206
                                1992 = $213
                                1993 = $220
                                1994 = $227
                                1995 = $234
                                1996 = $241
                                1997 = $248
                                1998 = $256
                                1999 = $264
                                2000 = $272
                                2001 = $280
                                2002 = $289
                                2003 = $298
                                2004 = $307
                                2005 = $316
                                2006 = $326
                                2007 = $336
                                2008 = $346
                                2009 = $357
                                2010 = $368
                                Ron's Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X