No Charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Charge?

This might be a silly Question. Do any of you not charge when you can not get the drain opened? I have ran in to this situation twice in the last few months. Once was when I did not have the right equipment with me. And did not want to run clear across town to my house to get the right machine. I did charge them a service call fee since I did remove a stool and replaced the wax ring on it. This was a no win situation. 2 toilets set side by side. flowing in to 2 inch pvc. Bar sinks backing up. basement flloded from Ice machine not being connected to any drain line. No lights in the parking lot lights. Just a night mare of a call

The other was a resturant . I get the call that it is a dishwasher that is the problem. I observe the dishwasher and it does not seem to be the problem. I attempt to explain this to the customer. Sadly no one in this kitchen speaks english . I finaly see that it is a sink that is grease clogged that is backing up thru the floor drain. I go at the sink drain only to get told in very very very Broken English. That the problem is not there. I know the problem is there. I didnot want to argue so I pack up and leave no charge.
    What would of been proper thing to do
    Last edited by handybull; 01-05-2010, 08:24 AM.

Re: No Charge?

This is why we charge by the hour. If I can not get a line open, I explain to the person that there is something wrong, and these are their options. Then I hand them a bill for my time.

If they start to say "Why should I pay you? You did not get the line open!" I explain to them they are paying me to stick my rodder in their line in attempts to clear the blockage as well as troubleshoot their problem. They now know that they have an issue that simple rodding will not fix.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Never had one that we didn't get flowing unless the pipe was crushed and then we used the camera to pinpoint the location so they got charged. But I have had a few that I was stubburn on and I spent way more time on it then I charged for.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Charge by the hour here. If I can't clear it is broken or not plumbed correctly. I explain you have a problem I came and found what the problem is. No free work because their sewer crushed. I'm sure people call all the. "If we can't clear it no charge" companies hoping someone will save them from digging.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I will start a new post tonight that shows why you can't clear all drains and you will all laugh! I will say it is a sewer line that a HO went and bought 3" corrogated thin wall flex tubing and made a sewer with it 50 ft! When I used the camera I was like no way!
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

As a customer I kind of feel it should be the opposite. The guys who wouldn't let you do your job deserve to be charged, it isn't your fault. The place where you came, but didn't have the proper equipment don't. One of the reasons you call a pro is that they are supposed to have the tools.

Comment

I have every tool there is to open the line. If I cant open it then we can look and see what needs to be fixed. If you dont think you should pay me for my time I will pack up and not tell you where and why you have a problem Done that twice and it feels good when they call you back and try and get the needed info so the other plumber can fix it and you wont give it up
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

had 1 yesterday a long long time customer, called with a kitchen sink stoppage. 3rd floor unit. i told them i need to also have access to the first floor. to double check when i get done. she said the unit was not occupied but would call the owners to get the lock box #.

show up and the sink is full with draino. i can smell it and feel it

i run 25' of 5/16'' through the strainer to try to get it to drain. the second floor is not a kitchen, it's a bedroom.

i asked why she didn't tell me about the draino said she didn't put it in

i wasn't going to sacrifice my k-50/ 5/8'' cable and told her to call someone else. i left and lost 20 minutes. hopefully it teached her a lesson. i was always very fair with them and never charged them full fair. we probably go back over 20 years. but over the last few years, it was getting to the point that they expected me to drop everything to come the same day, even for a water filter change.

hopefully she got it fixed and the plumber didn't ignore the lower unit sink.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Ive had customers that ive ,done work for and not billed them, for example the sink drain of a lady who manages a property managment company i do work for, i figure they are good customers, and throw me allot of jobs, take care of your customers bcause they take care of you, what comes around goes around.

Comment

"I clear drains on a regular basis, look at the size of my cable and look at the size of your piping. If I cannot get that cable through your piping then you have serious issues with the pipe."

I'm thorough when I clean a drain, I give it my best shot, but sometimes the piping configuration is the problem. If you don't want to pay for better access/larger cable, then I cannot control the circumstance you've created for yourself.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Rodding poopy aint free. If you tried, you should charge.

Comment

I struggled with this same question because if you leave with a check and haven't solved the problem, the HO has a negative opinion of you for sure. On the other hand, if you fight with every tool in the arsenal and it still isn't clear, hopefully you can inform the HO what the problem is. When you're in your own business, you don't want to be in the habit of pissing people off, but sometimes you look at who you're dealing with and ask yourself, "Do I really want to deal with these people or have them as customers? If they were to badmouth me, would I want the type of people they call friends as customers?" No? Then you did the right thing, Handy. Pack the tools, get out, say little. I could tell you a heart breaking story that I haven't forgot when I worked for a "Rooter" company. I'll never forget that...

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                          I struggled with this same question because if you leave with a check and haven't solved the problem, the HO has a negative opinion of you for sure. On the other hand, if you fight with every tool in the arsenal and it still isn't clear, hopefully you can inform the HO what the problem is. When you're in your own business, you don't want to be in the habit of pissing people off, but sometimes you look at who you're dealing with and ask yourself, "Do I really want to deal with these people or have them as customers? If they were to badmouth me, would I want the type of people they call friends as customers?" No? Then you did the right thing, Handy. Pack the tools, get out, say little. I could tell you a heart breaking story that I haven't forgot when I worked for a "Rooter" company. I'll never forget that...
                          I'd like to hear the story. Thanks

wookie

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Do tell we love stories.
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X