X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But the other company said !

Had a customer call me and ask about removing roots from a clay/tile sewer line 4 " So I told them we could run a cable down it and that would unclog the line and remove some of the roots but a cable leaves allot of roots and the best way to remove the roots is with a jetter and a warthog, the HO then proceeded to tell me i was wrong and trying to make a upsell because the other so called rooter company she called before calling me told her that a jetter will not remove roots and the best way is to use a cable with a double blade, so i was trying to help out the customer by giving them the best option and now im the bad guy because the hack emall rooter company doesnt have a jet big enough to cut roots, needless to say i did not get the job and im sure the hack company did.....There should be a website where you can post the names of stupid people/companies

Re: But the other company said !

People always seem to believe the first person all the time. So much for second opinions. True the other company probably does not have a jet.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

It sucks when you don't even get the job so in the end you can prove yourself right.

I sometimes get the "the other guy did it from here/did it this way/ had a machine that took 2 men to move etc..." but at least then I'm on the job so I can say "if the other guy is so good, why am I here 6mths later? Then I get the job done and explain everything to them. Then they understand the other guy ripped them off.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Well I hate to start a debate on this. But I can remove all the roots in a 6" clay sewer rodding from a clean out inside on the 4" cast iron stack. If there is a 6" clean out it is even easer.

Can jetters remove all the roots? Sure thing if you have the proper nozzles and a machine that can run them nozzles. Can a cable machine remove all the roots? Yes as long as the cable operator is willing to spend the time to do a proper job.

I had a call at 11pm one night in the City of Naperville. They like to wittiness the drain cleaning since they have a drain program, where they will take responsibility if the blockage is in the ROW (right of way). What they do is note it the first time, if it backs up again a second time in the year in the ROW they will split the cost, and if it backs up a third time they reimburse 100% of the cost along with they will dig up the problem spot.

Well back to the call. The head of the sewer department was on call that night. He asked me if I had my camera on the truck cause he could save some time by just heading right to the job. I power rodded the line with a 2" cutter first and got the line open. I then ran my camera through the line and it was loaded with tree roots. I then ran the 3" then the 4" blades through the sewer. Then I started to pack up the rod. Frank from the sewer department said "Wait Ron you need to run the 4x6 expanding cutter through the line." I told him all the roots are gone. Then I ran the camera through the line and it was spotless. He was amazed, and then asked me how I was able to clear the roots with a 4" cutter. After some time explaining to him the type of roots I was cutting and how I work the rodder, he never questioned me since. In some cases I will run a standard 6" cutter through the 4" clean out, it is spring steel, no need to buy them expensive expanding cutters.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Very true Ron. If the Tech spends the time on doing it correctly cable can remove all the roots.
          A lot of "pop and runs" out there just open a hole and hope it lasts a year.
          Pop and runs like $49.95
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            It sucks when you don't even get the job so in the end you can prove yourself right.

I sometimes get the "the other guy did it from here/did it this way/ had a machine that took 2 men to move etc..." but at least then I'm on the job so I can say "if the other guy is so good, why am I here 6mths later? Then I get the job done and explain everything to them. Then they understand the other guy ripped them off.
            Could go both ways. HO did not want to pay to have camera to see problem and do a complete job or last guy was a "pop n run hack"
            Maybe a little bit of both. Sometimes I just laugh when the HO say's but they did it this way for this much and why is it happening again? My question to them?? Why didn't you call them back if they were so good
            Rod

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
              Could go both ways. HO did not want to pay to have camera to see problem and do a complete job or last guy was a "pop n run hack"
              Maybe a little bit of both. Sometimes I just laugh when the HO say's but they did it this way for this much and why is it happening again? My question to them?? Why didn't you call them back if they were so good
              This is something that worries me. I believe that when I leave the clog is gone and the line is clear. I have had a few jobs that seem to have went way too easy. The customer is yet to call me back. I just stress out over all the small stuff too much. I worry if the customer just said forget him and is bad mouthing me. Or if they are really happy and handing out my cards to friends and family. Oh the stress

Comment

i'll explain both processes and spend the time talking to them about the pros and cons. along with the cost.

of course a cable job is less expensive and 95% of the time is what they get. bu on problem lines and long runs, i recommend the jetter.

i have 4x6 cutters for every machine i have. problem is, just as easy as they expand, they also collapse back to 3.5''

with the proper jetter and nozzles, a jetter can perform miracles

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I do not know what kind of warranty you offer on your drain cleaning. But if you feel a jetter does a better job than cable, offer them a warranty.

We are so sure that we do a good job removing the roots from a sewer we guarantee it for 2 years. Thats with a cable machine or a jetter.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I do not know what kind of warranty you offer on your drain cleaning. But if you feel a jetter does a better job than cable, offer them a warranty.

We are so sure that we do a good job removing the roots from a sewer we guarantee it for 2 years. Thats with a cable machine or a jetter.
                    You could never offer a 2 year guarantee around here or you would spend the 2nd year doing the first year jobs for free I even have to clean my own sewer once a year and I can guarantee ya I do a better job on mine because I dont make money doing my own so I make damn sure it`s clear and clean.

Most of the sewers around here your lucky to get a 3" cutter down.
                    We have lots of orangeburg and clay.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Should we be pissed at ourselves?

I love job security.

Even though I still do a thorough job with the best of capability from my equipment, You get a drain 100% clean, no roots, no nothing...

you won't be back for years!

Do you think they'll proudly remember those roots, and you that long ago? Or the fact that they haven't seen you on the road in years, the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality comes around and then it's "Hey who was that guy we used years ago when we had that ---"

I've screwed the pooch I believe on jobs where some companies came in, once a year, cleared a drain, had it running and it would go for another year.

I come in, aggressive blade, throrough, running tons of water, and sometimes even come with a jar of magic (RootX) that keeps me from coming back, allowing the customer to find the answer in a jar before me.

But I'm proud to say I've cleaned the drain far better, even though the consumer KNOWS they have a problem drain, otherwise plumbers/drain cleaners wouldn't of visited the home. "One" of them will be there more often than another...

both are doing the same task, one is looking at the cost to operate a business..

the other is playing hero with end result of no work/contact/ongoing relationship with that customer.

We've buried ourselves in gratitude that we did a great job, but now we are only a from our customer, while the other guys were still biding time for a piping system that has pertinent/serious issues that need to be dealt with. Soft matter clogs excluded.

What I'm saying: I've seen customers of mine, from years ago that I haven't worked for in years. The first thing they tell me is "You know, we haven't had any trouble with that drain ever since you cleaned it." and the last guy was making just as much annually, just like I did ONE TIME...and now nobody shows up.

There are aspects in being proud, there are prospects in being honorable, but I know the end result of cleaning a drain thoroughly, more than the last guy is a death sentence to recurring income.

You didn't create their problematic drains. That's not your problem. You didn't create that backup and preventing it from happening again won't happen...otherwise it never would of happen in the first place.

As long as you're not digging up pipe and not changing the scenario underground, the problem still "literally" exists.

Now I know why my guy I send drain cleaning to at times won't sell bio-clean or rootx; It's knocking himself out of a job.

You think he makes more on the profit margin of a can of crystals or that phone call that "we need you out here again, it's backing up.

Pinpoint and ask yourself why products are constantly failing, why we as consumers constantly keep buying.

Take the implied meaning I'm pointing at with my words and figure out the worth of a customer you see once every 2,4,6 years because you was a hero in a drain.

I'm just sayin...
                      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Good post DUNBAR
                        I feel the same way and was telling this to my master plumber a while back. I told him I have to stop selling new sewers and just stick to cleaning the sewer once a year. Now sometimes they really need a new sewer and thats the only time I want to sell one. I have people ask me all the time if they need a new sewer and I explain to em that 90 % of the homes around here could use one BUT if you dont want to buy 15 years of drain cleaning (Price for new sewer) right now, just clean it once a year and be happy. After we insrall a new sewer I will never see that house again
                        I had to stop shooting myself in the foot

I`m in this business to make money and think everyone should plant trees all over their yards, flush those wipes and dump that grease down the kitchen sink
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          I`m in this business to make money and think everyone should plant trees all over their yards, flush those wipes and dump that grease down the kitchen sink

Exactly.

Their misuse of their plumbing system brought us to the door, and now we are trying every way possible (in good manner of human nature) to help them, when indirectly it cuts out the bottom line; income.

To create a bad piping system is a no-no.

To maintain a bad piping system is okay.

To clean a drain that will take years from recurring, the slide scale of incoming producing always points itself to "Are you in the customer's home making money?" and everything else is overblown statistics.

I've been playing hero for a long time. These people are not calling me back because I did so good a job that exactly; it will take literally years for it back up again.

Making money from good wishes and intentions, "doing better than the last guy" has my equipment not going back to these jobs, and has nothing to do with a bad experience. Quite the contrary.

Pay attention to the products in your hands, wonder why we as plumbers/drain cleaners are making LESS money and working less, even though we are doing the polar opposite of thinking that's in the best interest of the consumer.

The consumer will always pay when something is backing up in the basement. We've missed a basic mathematics principle; you have to have numbers in order to start the equation.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I have customers flat out refuse the camera. Because they saw the water go down. I do my best to clear their lines with expandable blades etc.
                            But other problems may remain. Snaking and jetting is only 50% of the job. This year If they refuse the camera to properly diagnose their problem NO warrantee. Because they choose to roll the dice and save. I can't tell you guys how may I told you so told to Home owners who did not what the job 100% Without a camera inspection it's only guess work.
                            Rod

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                              This is something that worries me. I believe that when I leave the clog is gone and the line is clear. I have had a few jobs that seem to have went way too easy. The customer is yet to call me back. I just stress out over all the small stuff too much. I worry if the customer just said forget him and is bad mouthing me. Or if they are really happy and handing out my cards to friends and family. Oh the stress
                              Chances are they are happy. Most basic snaking only will normally last 1 to 3 years with roots with a basic 4" cutting blade.
                              Rod

Comment

Working...
                              X