X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price shoppers with some nerve

It's just so much easier to compare prices on fixed goods rather than services. Pound of XXXX bacon is X at one store and Y at another. Same product, different price. If you charge more than a competitor for a service, customer wants to be sure you're worth the extra money. With no experience with potential providers or input from family/friends, it's a shot in the dark. Then, if after comparing prices, you go for the $49.95 any drain anytime, you may realize that price is not realistic unless theres a glob of hair on your popup that can be pulled out and thrown in the trash!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I had a customer ask me if we were busy. I said no, but were doing all right because we jacked up our prices. He just looked at me like WTH.

I've done something like this before and you can cut the air with a knife between you and the customer...that thick.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
        $75? How ironic. Got an early morning message on my machine around 2 weeks ago. Guy left his name,number, and said he had two clogged drains. Then he said he was willing to pay $75 to get it taken care of and call back if I was interested!! My secretary straightened him out and he still wanted service. Kind of a whacky guy and out of work. He gladly paid $150; just minor hair clogs, nothing wrong with drainlines. Did other minor stuff while there. It is a tough economy, but as soon as you drop your price just for someone asking, you won't be rewarded with more work, they will figure you were overpriced or not worth what you wanted. This is within reason. Expert like Ron only $50 more than competitors over the phone, he got the work. If he were over $200 more, the guy might wonder where he gets his rates or if he can afford to call.

Bingo, was his name-o.

That says it all right there, and all plumbers/tradesmen should take notice of that bold statement. It just does not work in the big picture of income producing.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I will not lower my rates. I still have to pay full price for gas, tools, Insurance, repairs etc. I'm sorry if people are having a hard time. By cutting rates I'm going to have a hard time.

Drop your price once and customers will say you dropped your price for them and why not for me I got your number from them.
          Then your customers who paid full price hear this through the grape vine will think you took advantage of them.
          Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

This reminds me I just had a lady that we had snaked her kitchen sink about a month ago call and say that she had a clogged upstairs toilet, and it had been doing it ever since we did her kitchen sink, I said no has nothing to do with it. My guy went and augered the toilet paper out of it gave her the new bill. But I hate that "Ever since you ........."
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              I had a customer ask me if we were busy. I said no, but were doing all right because we jacked up our prices. He just looked at me like WTH.
              Good one. You can be "busy" all day long and not make much money. Big difference.

Comment

It is a perception when the perceived value is worth more than the dollars asked a price agreement is reached.
                A few months back I wanted to add a deck to our tiki bar area and pool area. I was deciding on a concrete deck or wood decking. I called a concrete company to give an estimate. No questions asked. He did not ask me how I was going to build this deck and if concrete was my only option.
                The wood decking would have cost more than 1500 dollars. He quoted me a price of 1000 dollars to pour a 12 foot square pad and level the ground, plus remove the old cedar decking. I automatically made the statement that is a lot of money. Instantly he said it is rough out there and dropped his price to 750 dollars.
                I do not find fault with clients who ask if I can do it cheaper. I explain why I cannot and what they receive to build the value above the dollar amount.

Comment

Working...
                X