X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price shoppers with some nerve

Had a call classic price shopper. Explaining how he knows what's wrong and thinks what a fair price should be. Telling me what a fair price is before asking for a quote. I give him a ball park and he says it's no where he thought his fair price he was willing to pay. $75 bucks Then he asks do I know of any companies who will do it cheaper. I explained yes I do it a little cheaper. So he thinks I'm coming down on my rate to get the job. Told him to call RR and ask their rates.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: Price shoppers with some nerve

I would of told him to call me after he attempts to fix it and screws it up. That way he will thank my first price was cheap

We have to stop customers from attempting to call the shots when it comes to prices. I have the attitude of I don't care what they think is fair. I am charging them my price any way. They can accept it or continue to shlt in a bucket

Comment

We can't go to a store and say my fridge needs food in it and I think a fair price is $20.00 bucks to fill it. I will not cheap myself down.
      Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
        We can't go to a store and say my fridge needs food in it and I think a fair price is $20.00 bucks to fill it. I will not cheap myself down.
        That's a good one!

Comment

My helper is out on a job right now that the HO called me and asked when we could get there, I said in one hour. They said cool and are you the cheapest one ? I said I don't know as I`m just to busy to worry about the price game and I don't have time like the other sewer cleaning companies to call everyone all the time and see what their prices are, I am the best one in the book, so I would think I might not be the cheapest one in the book.
          My helper is on the job right now....rotflmao
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            My helper is out on a job right now that the HO called me and asked when we could get there, I said in one hour. They said cool and are you the cheapest one ? I said I don't know as I`m just to busy to worry about the price game and I don't have time like the other sewer cleaning companies to call everyone all the time and see what their prices are, I am the best one in the book, so I would think I might not be the cheapest one in the book.
            My helper is on the job right now....rotflmao
            Are these your helpers?

I don't care what you charge send them over I'm sure I could clog something before thay got here
            Rod

Comment

Reminds me of that Kohler commercial.....

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../3/C_RLXfxtouE

Comment

I had a customer ask me if we were busy. I said no, but were doing all right because we jacked up our prices. He just looked at me like WTH.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I had a gentleman call me yesterday ask me what I charge to rod a sewer. I gave him our rates he said he would call back. He calls me back this afternoon said he called a dozen other companies and they where 50 bucks cheaper than me, and would I come down in price cause he likes how I explained to him what I would do for him. I told him nope I will not come down in price and feel free to call the others. He then told me to come out, I went there and got paid So I am happy.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I never come down on my prices for shoppers. I might do it on the job if I feel like someone needs the charity, but not for the shoppers.
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

$75? How ironic. Got an early morning message on my machine around 2 weeks ago. Guy left his name,number, and said he had two clogged drains. Then he said he was willing to pay $75 to get it taken care of and call back if I was interested!! My secretary straightened him out and he still wanted service. Kind of a whacky guy and out of work. He gladly paid $150; just minor hair clogs, nothing wrong with drainlines. Did other minor stuff while there. It is a tough economy, but as soon as you drop your price just for someone asking, you won't be rewarded with more work, they will figure you were overpriced or not worth what you wanted. This is within reason. Expert like Ron only $50 more than competitors over the phone, he got the work. If he were over $200 more, the guy might wonder where he gets his rates or if he can afford to call.

Comment

long story short

i had a customer meet me at his house yesterday to check all his fixtures as i had snaked the main 2 days before (wasn't home) and he wanted me to make sure all his other fixtures drained properly.

shows me his dripping shower and ask if i could "throw that in"
                        i said no

that's the short version.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          long story short

i had a customer meet me at his house yesterday to check all his fixtures as i had snaked the main 2 days before (wasn't home) and he wanted me to make sure all his other fixtures drained properly.

shows me his dripping shower and ask if i could "throw that in"
                          i said no

that's the short version.

rick.
                          Love customers like that. Clear their sewer two months later the shower on the third floor backs up. They think it's because you cleared the sewer that caused the clog on the third floor.
                          Rod

Comment

Love customers like that. Clear their sewer two months later the shower on the third floor backs up. They think it's because you cleared the sewer that caused the clog on the third floor.
                            I had something similar, did a four story building that was a complete gut out job except for the CI drain lines, never had sprinklers in it to start with. Job is finished and starting to finish out tenent spaces as they are leased. First floor has a plastic surgeons office in it and they are moved in. The super on this job is a real dick and calls to say we have a leak in the doctors office right over his desk, it is making brown spots in the ceiling tiles. I pop the tile up to reveal there is not a sprinkler line any where near the spot but show him where the old CI sewer line is leaking, the doctors secretary starts gagging and has to run out. I just laughed, told the super good luck and left.

Comment

We can't go to a store and say my fridge needs food in it and I think a fair price is $20.00 bucks to fill it.
                              I think the difference is that you basically do that every day,

if you shop for groceries, and you only have $20, you may go in wanting tenderloin, but after checking prices you come home with chicken, or maybe even less, but you can fill your fridge for $20, if you buy the right things, it may not be what one wants but it does the job.

and we price shop all the time, if you check what your interest rate was when you looked at buying a house with lender, and even when you bought that house I bet you looked at more than one and may be even asked or shot a lower price at the Realtor hoping they would drop there price,

have you ever payed the sticker price on the car/truck window, or did you try to deal with them.

I know I have nearly always tryed to shop around for the price on a given tool if possible.

even on TV, when economics are discussed for the home owner, many suggest you either offer them the price your willing to pay, or ask for a discount when the price is quoted.

and as dollars are tighter, I think people are more willing to try to bargain or haggle,

Is it any different in calling over the manager of a store and showing them a price off the net for saying something simular to XXXX down the road has it for sale for this much less will you match the price.

I have seen many people drop or reduce there prices if payed in cash, so it does not have to reported to the IRS,

even tho you have set your prices, if things get tougher, to get some cash in hand, you may be willing to drop you price a lot if your in need of some Dollars in a hurry.

My guess is one will see more of this in the future, (and normally what does it cost some one to ask if there is a discount?).

a few weeks ago I think there was thread and some were discussing competing with box stores, as you could not buy from a supplier as cheap as the customer had got the product for. you expect others to discount there price for you in many many of the transactions you make.
                              Last edited by BHD; 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X