Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUCK! Here we go, just in time for the snow....RootX to the rescue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUCK! Here we go, just in time for the snow....RootX to the rescue?

Well, I have my first PITA situation of the new year. First time this has happened in a while.

120 y/o house with 6" tile that runs to the back of the house, under their garage, through the easement, under the neighbor's garage behind them and under the neighbor's driveway to the street (on the other side of the block). Not a big deal in the past. Usually rod it every 18-24 months as needed. There is a 6" clean out between the 2 garages. About 150' run from to the street from the clean out.

Open the clean out and find it holding water. Rod about 45' with the 1500 and pull back roots, sanitary products, dental floss, some sludge, grease...you name it, it's in there.

Ran 4 sided spear, and 4" cutter and even the auger but could not get the line to relieve and open. Finally, try the 2-1/2" round root saw cutter (like the one in Ben's K-60 video, but for the 1-1/4" cable). Got the line to open at about 30', but the cable gets hung up and won't come back
    First thought was that it doubled up in the 6". This happened to me once at my dad's house (irony) and ended up being a dig.

Pushed and pulled forward and reverse for a bit but no luck.

Get the camera out and find that I had bored a hole straight through a 90% blockage about 6" long at 20' downstream. Got the camera to go out to about 29' (just shy of where the cable is hung up) and found a massive root blockage damming up the line. Can't see the end of the cable, but I'm pretty confident that it's not doubled up, just caught in the root ball and or log or caught on a separation in the pipe.

Treated with RootX and left for the night as night was setting in, temp dropping and a major snowstorm on the way. I plan on returning tomorrow AM to see if the RootX put a dent in it.

I'm thinking that jetting the line would be the only other last resort, but with the 1-1/4" cable still in the line??

I'll post pics and update tomorrow.

-Chris

Re: STUCK! Here we go, just in time for the snow....RootX to the rescue?

Will the root-x make a difference that fast?

I'm a big fan of the Ridgid Sawtooth cutter (Ridgid#62860) as my heavy hitter to start with.

I sharpen the two (trailing) reverse blades and bend them a bit (to about 3/4" away from the cable, This allows the cutter to jump offsets easily as well as cut it's way out in reverse.

Sorry about getting stuck, It happens to all of us

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

I'm a big fan of the Ridgid Sawtooth cutter (Ridgid#62860) as my heavy hitter to start with.

I sharpen the two (trailing) reverse blades and bend them a bit (to about 3/4" away from the cable, This allows the cutter to jump offsets easily as well as cut it's way out in reverse.

That is (was) on of my favorites too, and it's the exact one that got stuck.

Oh well, we'll see.

I've read posts on here about RootX working in a couple of hours?

We shall see.

I'm going to go thaw my feet now!

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post

Sorry about getting stuck, It happens to all of us
        Rootx takes time. Not an over night fix. Roots decay over time.
        Hope you get unstuck.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

[QUOTE=Swade Plumbing;272242]That is (was) on of my favorites too, and it's the exact one that got stuck.

Oops, I meant 61970, the T-13, same blades though

Comment

[QUOTE=Swade Plumbing;272244]
            Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            That is (was) on of my favorites too, and it's the exact one that got stuck.

Oops, I meant 61970, the T-13, same blades though
            \

Same cutter Different cable (7/8" cable version or 1 1/4" cable).

Comment

Good luck, sounds like you are due.

Comment

If you need a hand I can come by there and run my 1065 cable with a spear head to help break up the root mass to free up your rod. I have a job in Burr Ridge for 9 am I should be done by 10 to 10:30. If you do need a hand give me a ring.

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                Well, I have my first PITA situation of the new year. First time this has happened in a while.

120 y/o house with 6" tile that runs to the back of the house, under their garage, through the easement, under the neighbor's garage behind them and under the neighbor's driveway to the street (on the other side of the block). Not a big deal in the past. Usually rod it every 18-24 months as needed. There is a 6" clean out between the 2 garages. About 150' run from to the street from the clean out.

Open the clean out and find it holding water. Rod about 45' with the 1500 and pull back roots, sanitary products, dental floss, some sludge, grease...you name it, it's in there.

Ran 4 sided spear, and 4" cutter and even the auger but could not get the line to relieve and open. Finally, try the 2-1/2" round root saw cutter (like the one in Ben's K-60 video, but for the 1-1/4" cable). Got the line to open at about 30', but the cable gets hung up and won't come back
                First thought was that it doubled up in the 6". This happened to me once at my dad's house (irony) and ended up being a dig.

Pushed and pulled forward and reverse for a bit but no luck.

Get the camera out and find that I had bored a hole straight through a 90% blockage about 6" long at 20' downstream. Got the camera to go out to about 29' (just shy of where the cable is hung up) and found a massive root blockage damming up the line. Can't see the end of the cable, but I'm pretty confident that it's not doubled up, just caught in the root ball and or log or caught on a separation in the pipe.

Treated with RootX and left for the night as night was setting in, temp dropping and a major snowstorm on the way. I plan on returning tomorrow AM to see if the RootX put a dent in it.

I'm thinking that jetting the line would be the only other last resort, but with the 1-1/4" cable still in the line??

I'll post pics and update tomorrow.

-Chris
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks Ron,

I'll keep your number handy. Your kindness is greatly appreciated!

I may try to hit it with my sewermatic tomorrow morning first thing. to see if I can knock it loose.

-Chris

Comment

chain it to the bumper of your service truck and pull it out
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

i think we all fell ur pain. good luck. digging is better than back proublems...
                        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                        1-920-284-7471

Comment

Rootx kills the roots, and prevents regrowth, it doesn't actively remove the roots though.

as was previously said, chain it to the bumper and go slow.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            Rootx kills the roots, and prevents regrowth, it doesn't actively remove the roots though.

as was previously said, chain it to the bumper and go slow.
                            Thanks for the tips. If RootX can even weaken the mass a little bit I'd be a happy camper.

I've done the bumper trick before, but this one is too tight. I'm behind the garage (practically in the easement) between my customer and the house behind him. With the landscaping that they have, I wouldn't even be able to get the truck close to the cleanout.

Going to attack it with some 3/4" innercore and a spear, see if I can break the thing up a bit.

Thanks for the advice

Also, I'm locked up under the Neighbors driveway at the corner of the garage. Excavating would/will bring it's own problems.

-Chris

Comment

i have used a higlift in the past.
                              Attached Files
                              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                              X