Crossing State lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing State lines

Got this call from a town in Maine 45 minutes away. I'm licensed in New Hampshire. She needs to replace a 40 gallon electric water heater In one of her rentals. I tell her.
    Sorry I'm not licensed for the state of Maine. She say's it's OK she is a New Hampshire resident she owns the building. I tell her it does not matter the property is in Maine. Call someone in Maine. She just could not get it. She would not take no for an answer. Sorry I can't help you. She's calling The BBB on me because I refuse to service her property.

This call came in this morning. Makes me wonder how many times people call The BBB for their own stupidity.
    Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Re: Crossing State lines

You may want to double check this but the way I understand it is without a license in Maine you are allowed to repair and replace but you are not allowed to make ANY changes. This is what I was told by one of the two the State Plumbing inspectors 4 years ago.

I'm not sure how that pertains to water heaters but I would consider that a replacement?????

The only repair/replace I do is a few leaks/breaks we find during the course of thawing, everything else goes to Plumbers.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I'm sure I would also have to register as an out of state company. Fee's fee's fee's and pay Maine taxes to. Not worth the cost involved some of our local yellow pages go into Maine. But say's on it NH only I have them go into VT to. No need to be paying taxes in 3 states. If I did Canada is 45 minutes north why not go International
      Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

don't worry about the bbb.

they're another racket, scam, joke and everything else i can think of when they call me and try to solicit me to join.

what a racket. i actually enjoy making the guy at the other end feel like a used car salesman.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How'd she get your number?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That whole "repair/replace" thing sounds like a free ride for the unlicensed to me. Repairing and replacing would cover everything in the service plumbing field except "new installation."

I hope Illinois inspectors are not saying something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              How'd she get your number?
              I have yellow pages that somehow got there. I know it was in a few boarder towns but not that far.
              We have 3 yellow books covering the area and some go into the other states. On one side 25 minutes Maine the other side 40 Minutes Vermont to the North 45 minutes Canada. It's dumb having 3 books for this area. It's messed up but to advertise this area you need all three. Those states have yellow pages in those areas and they kind of over lap.

As far as her getting my number maybe tennant. Or phone book. Her phone number was from the Southern part of the state.
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-08-2010, 11:46 PM.
              Rod

Comment

We been a member since 1985, it does get us a few jobs here and there. I say the fee we pay a year has paid for it self each and every year.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                don't worry about the bbb.

they're another racket, scam, joke and everything else i can think of when they call me and try to solicit me to join.

what a racket. i actually enjoy making the guy at the other end feel like a used car salesman.

rick.
                Attached Files
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

BBB, it's still a joke. They have no teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kingbee View Post
                    BBB, it's still a joke. They have no teeth.
                    Well they do help home owners check to see if a company is trustworthy or not. They did make it a bit easer with the "Grades". I have been getting more calls where people tell me they got us off of the BBB and called us because we have an A+ rating.

Comment

ron, here's the issue i have with the bbb.

about 2 times a year they would call me and ask me to join. they claim i have customers that are inquiring about me

really, i do

just name 1 person, 1 location, something that tells me you're not just telemarketing for my money

everytime they called, it was the same pitch.

so i called their bluff and told them if they ever call again, i'll report them as i'm on the do not call list. guess what, i haven't heard from them for the last year or so.

it's a total scam. go look up some of you competition and read the reviews.

i just got the same telemarketing pitch this week with a osha compliance co that wants to sell me safety books for all my employees

i doubt they will be calling again either

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I get lots of telemarketers calling me I tell them not to call that we are on the do not call list. They reply that the do not call list does not apply to businesses.

So you are not happy with them trying to recruit you. But we been a member since 1985, and we have been happy with their services along with the customers I get from having a A+ rating with them.

about 2 times a year they would call me and ask me to join. they claim i have customers that are inquiring about me

really, i do

just name 1 person, 1 location, something that tells me you're not just telemarketing for my money

so i called their bluff and told them if they ever call again, i'll report them as i'm on the do not call list. guess what, i haven't heard from them for the last year or so.

i just got the same telemarketing pitch this week with a osha compliance co that wants to sell me safety books for all my employees

rick.
                        Last edited by SewerRatz; 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                          Got this call from a town in Maine 45 minutes away. I'm licensed in New Hampshire. She needs to replace a 40 gallon electric water heater In one of her rentals. I tell her.
                          Sorry I'm not licensed for the state of Maine. She say's it's OK she is a New Hampshire resident she owns the building. I tell her it does not matter the property is in Maine. Call someone in Maine. She just could not get it. She would not take no for an answer. Sorry I can't help you. She's calling The BBB on me because I refuse to service her property.

This call came in this morning. Makes me wonder how many times people call The BBB for their own stupidity.
                          Something else to consider, if your service vehicle has a CGWR of over 10,000#, you will need a DOT # to cross state lines.

Comment

really, i do

rick.
                            I agree with both Ron and Rick. hmmmm how can that be?

I get the same calls from the BBB twice a year. I think that the only way to bump yourself from an A to an A+ is to join. A bigger deal if you advertise and rely on new customer leads over referrals. Our business is more like Rick's.

If your business is set up with lettering on the trucks (multiple trucks/techs being the key part) and/or have a visible storefront, it's a worthwhile consideration to me.

For Rick, I can see it being useless as you are a 1 man shop using referrals.

I'm in the middle.

Comment

Let me first say a moderator should take all the BBB stuff out of this thread and move it to the new BBB thread http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30300 . Just to keep the two threads on topic.

Now my father when he joined back in 1985 he was a small one man shop and most of his calls where referrals. A town like Indian Head Park is 99% word to mouth. If they do not like you, you will never work in there again. Back in 1985 my dad did a job in Indian Head Park ( a referral), and the owner told him about the BBB and that it would help my dad's company a lot with referrals. Lots of people trust companies that have a good rating on with the BBB. So my dad joined, and was happy with the results and never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                              X