X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics from the STUCK incident

Finally got the pics loaded up from my PITA last week.

The first one shows the scene of the job (behind the customers garage).

I was stuck about 30' out and used my sewermatic with 3/4" IC cable and a homemade spear tip (3rd pic pic) to get it loose.

Last pic is both cables out of the clean out

After that, got the line clear 150' to city main. Owner's line runs under the neighbor's garage and driveway.
    Attached Files

Re: Pics from the STUCK incident

Glad you got out

I'm gonna say this....

I have never seen a sawtooth cutter that actually had the teeth rounded off to half circles it also looks like the backward swept blades have never been sharpened...

Could the reason you got stuck be that your cutter was so dull that it could not slice it's way out???

Sharpen your cutters.

Bill

Comment

So I have my cable back and the line is clear and spotless confirmed with the seesnake!

WOO HOO!!

After clearing the line downstream, I turned my attention to the upstream portion of the line (under THEIR garage) back towards the house and catch basin. Cleared some roots and then hit an obstruction at about 25' and got the camera to inspect. Found about 15' of abandoned 7/8" open wind cable left in the line. My guess is that it was left there from many years ago (before my customer moved in and renovated) and was impitous for the cleanout that I was now rodding from.

Starting to feel like an episode of the TV show "LOST", but plumbing style. Waiting for the "OTHERS" to leap out with rifles and take me hostage hahaha.

So I got the retriever out for the old KM-1500 and pulled it back. The cable had obviously been in there for quite a while as the grease and debris had made the cable so brittle it snaps by hand. Took a couple passes, but I got it all out!

So my customer was happy and appreciative of my effort and I didn't lose any equipment.

I think that this job may have convinced me that the lines that I deal with regularly are perhaps too !!XTREME!! for the K-60 even with IC cable. 125'-150' of ROSIC (Really Old 6 Inch Clay)

At the end of the day, the SPEED KLEEN is STILL the Sectional King in my book. But I'm just one plumber with one opinion. I may even be adding a bigger drum to the aresenal just to have some additional options.

Thanks again for the great tips and advice guys and especially to Ron for offering to come and lend a hand if things got out of hand!

Thanks to Ridgid for making some great products.

The last pic shows all of the equipment that I used on this job (not the Ridgid Navitrac case in front) Including:

KM-1500
      150' 1.25" C-14 cable
      box of cutters
      Seesnake Mini 200' reel with monitor
      Navitrac locator
      General Sewermatic w/th 3/4" IC cable and cutters
      2" PVC leader pipe
      3/8" rod bent into hook for retreiving
      MAPP torch
      100' extension cord
      hand tools
      Not pictured: my most important tool (my brain)
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        Glad you got out

I'm gonna say this....

I have never seen a sawtooth cutter that actually had the teeth rounded off to half circles it also looks like the backward swept blades have never been sharpened...

Could the reason you got stuck be that your cutter was so dull that it could not slice it's way out???

Sharpen your cutters.

Bill
        I do sharpen after each job, but I may need to give them some extra attention

The front teeth were sharp when it went in. This line had joints that were pretty rough.

The clay eats these things up. My 6" cutter that I put in was brand new when I sent it back out the full 150'. When I pulled it back the blade was worn through with almost nothing left.

Maybe a market for some titanium cutters?!

Comment

Good job gettin that cable out! Don't discount the K-60 it doesn't have to be your only snake that you use just another option for you to use if needed so you can take on anything! Crawl space it's king, roof top it's king! I use it for other things too but it is just one of the many snakes I have to use.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

My offer still stands if you ever need a hand on a job, or extra cable for even longer runs ( i have a total of 1200' of 1 1/4 cable) a jetter, K-1000 with around 500' of rods with cutters from 6" to 24" and even a small backhoe perfect for the jobs around town.

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            So I have my cable back and the line is clear and spotless confirmed with the seesnake!

WOO HOO!!

After clearing the line downstream, I turned my attention to the upstream portion of the line (under THEIR garage) back towards the house and catch basin. Cleared some roots and then hit an obstruction at about 25' and got the camera to inspect. Found about 15' of abandoned 7/8" open wind cable left in the line. My guess is that it was left there from many years ago (before my customer moved in and renovated) and was impitous for the cleanout that I was now rodding from.

Starting to feel like an episode of the TV show "LOST", but plumbing style. Waiting for the "OTHERS" to leap out with rifles and take me hostage hahaha.

So I got the retriever out for the old KM-1500 and pulled it back. The cable had obviously been in there for quite a while as the grease and debris had made the cable so brittle it snaps by hand. Took a couple passes, but I got it all out!

So my customer was happy and appreciative of my effort and I didn't lose any equipment.

I think that this job may have convinced me that the lines that I deal with regularly are perhaps too !!XTREME!! for the K-60 even with IC cable. 125'-150' of ROSIC (Really Old 6 Inch Clay)

At the end of the day, the SPEED KLEEN is STILL the Sectional King in my book. But I'm just one plumber with one opinion. I may even be adding a bigger drum to the aresenal just to have some additional options.

Thanks again for the great tips and advice guys and especially to Ron for offering to come and lend a hand if things got out of hand!

Thanks to Ridgid for making some great products.

The last pic shows all of the equipment that I used on this job (not the Ridgid Navitrac case in front) Including:

KM-1500
            150' 1.25" C-14 cable
            box of cutters
            Seesnake Mini 200' reel with monitor
            Navitrac locator
            General Sewermatic w/th 3/4" IC cable and cutters
            2" PVC leader pipe
            3/8" rod bent into hook for retreiving
            MAPP torch
            100' extension cord
            hand tools
            Not pictured: my most important tool (my brain)
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Holy crap that a lot of equipment!!

Thanks again!

Here's the pic on the cover plate of the KM-1500 (Speed Kleen) just for good measure. I need to get a light to go in the outlet on the top too. Anyone remember the one that Kollmann made?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again!

Here's the pic on the cover plate of the KM-1500 (Speed Kleen) just for good measure. I need to get a light to go in the outlet on the top too. Anyone remember the one that Kollmann made?
                I got one in the garage. One of these days I need to get in there and clean and orginze it. When I do I will take lots of pictures and post them here.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, 1,200 feet of 1 1/4 That's long enough to reach my house here in New Hampshire from your clean out at your shop
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Finally got the pics loaded up from my PITA last week.

The first one shows the scene of the job (behind the customers garage).

I was stuck about 30' out and used my sewermatic with 3/4" IC cable and a homemade spear tip (3rd pic pic) to get it loose.

Last pic is both cables out of the clean out

After that, got the line clear 150' to city main. Owner's line runs under the neighbor's garage and driveway.
                    Glad it all worked out. Good job
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Thanks again!

i certainly do

but my advise is to install a heat lamp instead of a head lamp

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

"After clearing the line downstream, I turned my attention to the upstream portion of the line (under THEIR garage) back towards the house and catch basin. Cleared some roots and then hit an obstruction at about 25' and got the camera to inspect. Found about 15' of abandoned 7/8" open wind cable left in the line. My guess is that it was left there from many years ago (before my customer moved in and renovated) and was impitous for the cleanout that I was now rodding from."

Congrats on a job VERY WELL DONE. Just the fact that AFTER getting stuck and retrieving your cable downstream, then clearing the 150' of sewer and THEN inspecting everything downstream that you then went UPSTREAM to check things out says a lot about your character and professionalism.

But, just for my own education, what does "impitous" mean? I even pulled out my 1934 Webster that is so big it has to be moved by a two-wheeler, and it is not even there. Is it Illinoin?
                        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I think he meant "impetuous", kind of like Rick meant "advice".
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            I think he meant "impetuous", kind of like Rick meant "advice".

I think you mean "impetus", just as you meant "just as", unless you do "kind of like Rick".
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                              I think you mean "impetus", just as you meant "just as", unless you do "kind of like Rick".
                              You think? You're the one that dug out a dictionary. I just guessed. The only way we will know for sure is for Swade Plumbing to tell us what he meant.
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X