K-39 and tub drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-39 and tub drain

For some reason I've always had trouble getting thru tub p-trap with 5/16 cable. 1.5 tight bend trap ( LA p- trap ) Brass and cast. I've cut the bulb off and put a bend in the end of the cable to help? Going thru the overfow, seems like a straight forward operation most go but not always. I guess I should try 1/4" cable, Understand it won't work with the autofeed tho?? any tips? Thanks

wookie

Re: K-39 and tub drain

I am yet to have any problems running a tub drain with the k-39. Mine does not have the auto feed on it. I use the 5/16 cable. I just let the machine do all the work. I will usually hand feed the cable thru the trap than hit the switch and be in and out in 15 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
      I am yet to have any problems running a tub drain with the k-39. Mine does not have the auto feed on it. I use the 5/16 cable. I just let the machine do all the work. I will usually hand feed the cable thru the trap than hit the switch and be in and out in 15 minutes
      Thats how I do it also. I don't get it. Did two yeterday first one not to bad second one couldnt get it to go, fortunately a cleanout on backside in closet. cleared blockage. It took a few seconds for tub to back up so knew blockage was downstream a little so worked out.

wookie

Comment

I will also some times take a scrap 3/8 cable and feed it thru the tub trap manually.I than start to fill the tub with water to see if I have cleared the blockage. If this doesn't work than I go thru the drum trap. Some times the 5/16 cable is not thick enough to really push or remove the blockage. I also run the tub shoe for a complete job

Comment

I had 2 tub drains and a lav in one house this morning I tackled with my
          restored,K39AF.
          I always try to hand feed the cable through the bend the start the machine.
          Both tub traps were 17 gauge so I wasnt too worried...

Comment

I removed the 1/4" cable that came with mine, still sitting in a box. I have only used the 35'x5/16" cable and have never had a problem going through a tub trap. I also have never had trouble going through a 1/4" lavy trap from the top, man has that saved me some time and headaches! Just make sure you put a bucket under the trap for those nasty old chrome ones. LOL

Oh by the way, my K39AF is still in Ohio being repaired since the motor poo poo'ed out on me. I miss her dearly.

I did pick up one of those cheap Ridgid hand crank ones with the auto feed lever for 35 bucks the other day. That little thing is pretty slick for the little jobs, especially used with the dewalt cordless. I now have a little Ridgid back up snake! Yeeha!~

Comment

my eel ct came in today i rodded my own lav and tub drain pvc 9 years old everything went smooth but this next week i will be rodding some 11/4 galvanized lav drains i'm not so sure it will go good but i'll let ya know i used the 5/16 cable

Comment

I guess I'll have to get more jobs under my belt, have patience young grasshopper

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
                  I guess I'll have to get more jobs under my belt, have patience young grasshopper

wookie
                  I made up a cradle to hold my K39 to get better control over feeding out the cable with my left hand and operating the pistal control with my right hand and never had a problem but trying told the K39 in both hands and trying control the cable is just to difficult while feeding it through a trap.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X