X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Average price for drain cleaning ?

There was a older sewer and drain cleaning guy my dad know back in the day that told him if people do not complain about your prices, you are not charging enough.

Our prices is T&M we charge a service call , machine charge and labor by the half hour. So say a main line is $265 for the first hour, drains that use a medium machine is $175 for the first half hour. To get to them prices it like this.
    Labor $80 per half hour
    Service call $60
    Large Rod $45
    Med Rod $35
    Small Rod $25
    But we are thinking instead of having two different machine charges we will just have the $45 cable machine charge.

We had a home owner call us about a plugged water closet, I told her I can have a truck out in a hour. She said great just have the guy call when he is on the way. When the plumber called she asked "BTW how much will this cost me." When he told her the first half hour would be $165, she called him every name in the book told him do not bother showing up. He called me to let me know what happened. I just said oh well. About 15 minutes later she calls back apologizing about what she said to him about our rats. That she called 5 other shops which made our rates look real good to her at the time. I called our plumber back he got a laugh out of it went there and made the money.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron if u auger a closet is that considered a small rod like say a tub or lav?

Comment

We Charge out like this:
        Side sewer with cleanout under 125ft $200 easy 1 hour time starts on route.
        Side Sewer with cleanout under 125ft $300 1 hour to 2 hour job (lots of roots)
        No Access pull water closet and set $40
        Additional hours as needed $75
        Camera side sewer $200-$300 depending on the layout with DVD
        Camera with no DVD while there snaking add $100
        Toilet auger $75-$105 depending on distance to job
        Bathroom sink or shower tub $115 1 hour $75 per extra hour if needed
        Kitchen sink $115 add $75 per hour if needed
        Jet main line under 125ft $400-$500 3hr total add the $75 per hour if needed.
        And all dreaded outside gutter drains and area drains case by case basis these are the most un maintained lines we run into and most customers think these should be no more than $100 But in fact on the 100 year old houses we do they are cable killers.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
          ron if u auger a closet is that considered a small rod like say a tub or lav?
          Auger is a small rod
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

the only relevant and tangible variable here is you know what it takes to make you want to show up and go home and come back day in and day out and have enough left over to enjoy a second childhood. price shoppers come and go as fast as allot of company's that give it away, don't be one of them

Comment

Very well put ! I Like that.

Comment

here's how i do it. fully T&M

Srevice Call - $75.00
                Hourly - $90.00 based on 1/4 hour increments.
                Commercial is 1 HR minimum, Residential is 1/2 hour minimum
                i don't charge more for the camera it's part of the $90.00/Hr
                $45.00 to record and $25.00 for a copy of the DVD

if i need a jetter there are 2 on island. they charge $250.00 an hour

my average job is between $165-$210 + materials, if necessary

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

heck. I am cheap. I have to be in my area. I still charge, what I need to live and grow the biz.
                  The lowest for any drain cleaning task is $65.00. This is just If I use a plunger or toilet auger. When " real equipment" comes out the price goes up

Comment

Here's a true price-shopper story for you: Spoke last month with a childhood buddy of mine; hadn't seen him in twenty or more years, so we're just shooting the breeze on the phone. He mentions he called a company we referred to clear his main line (he now lives out of our service area) and had them out several times over the years.

So, he gets tired of the "high price" of getting the main cleared every few years, goes out and rents a cable machine and sets it up. He then puts on his COTTON GLOVES and starts the machine. Line goes in, he's guiding it... The glove gets caught on the cable.

"I see what looks like a long red string wrapping around the cable. It was the skin, muscle and tendon from my index finger." Cable snapped his finger off. "And I STILL had to pay to have my drain cleared!"

Don't, please, undersell your services. Think about all that we put into our work, and our trucks, and our insurance, and our LIVES the next time someone claims you "overcharge." I have only one word for those people: NEXT!

Comment

Originally posted by Western Reserve View Post
                      Here's a true price-shopper story for you: Spoke last month with a childhood buddy of mine; hadn't seen him in twenty or more years, so we're just shooting the breeze on the phone. He mentions he called a company we referred to clear his main line (he now lives out of our service area) and had them out several times over the years.

So, he gets tired of the "high price" of getting the main cleared every few years, goes out and rents a cable machine and sets it up. He then puts on his COTTON GLOVES and starts the machine. Line goes in, he's guiding it... The glove gets caught on the cable.

"I see what looks like a long red string wrapping around the cable. It was the skin, muscle and tendon from my index finger." Cable snapped his finger off. "And I STILL had to pay to have my drain cleared!"

Don't, please, undersell your services. Think about all that we put into our work, and our trucks, and our insurance, and our LIVES the next time someone claims you "overcharge." I have only one word for those people: NEXT!
                      Can you say OUCH!!!that f*#n hurt !!!!!
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                        I know prices vary in different parts of the country, but i was just curios (after being told by a price shopper that i was more $ than the big franchise company)as to what the average price is, so i will go first and throw out what i charge
                        Sewer lateral Cable from easy accesible cleanout $165
                        R/R Toilet $55
                        Jet 3-4 inch $350 includes 2 hours then $150 per hr
                        sink/tub/washer-1 1/2" -2" $135
                        jet small 1 1/2"-2" $220
                        Camera inspection/locate $125 if doone same time as rodding/$225 if done seperately.

I dont want to be the most expensive but I definately dont want to be the
                        CHEEEPEST!
                        Add about $50 to everything you listed that's about my pricing. But I would say every area is different.
                        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

What's a 2000 sq. ft. house cost ? Where is it located? You ask for help , and play cute with
                          Your location! Do You think Detroit charges equal beverly Hills ?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            What's a 2000 sq. ft. house cost ? Where is it located? You ask for help , and play cute with
                            Your location! Do You think Detroit charges equal beverly Hills ?
                            What ???

Comment

well at the last place I worked
                              sewer rodd $225 an hour thats mains ,kitchens , tubs ,or anything that takes a machine .$125 an hour for plumbing ,$400 to camera a line , $225 to jet .Now anything after 4 pm mon,fry is OT sat. OT. and compet travel port to port ,sun. double time port to port. . sad thing is Im glad Im a plumber because I couldnt aford that cause I sure aint makeing the moeny there charging
                              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

The last post to this thread was almost 3 years ago. I'm curious to know how all of your prices have changed given that it's been a rough 3 years in the economy.

Comment

Working...
                                X