X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average price for drain cleaning ?

I know prices vary in different parts of the country, but i was just curios (after being told by a price shopper that i was more $ than the big franchise company)as to what the average price is, so i will go first and throw out what i charge
    Sewer lateral Cable from easy accesible cleanout $165
    R/R Toilet $55
    Jet 3-4 inch $350 includes 2 hours then $150 per hr
    sink/tub/washer-1 1/2" -2" $135
    jet small 1 1/2"-2" $220
    Camera inspection/locate $125 if doone same time as rodding/$225 if done seperately.

I dont want to be the most expensive but I definately dont want to be the CHEEEPEST!
    Last edited by rhinorooter; 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM.

Re: Average price for drain cleaning ?

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
    I know prices vary in different parts of the country, but i was just curios (after being told by a price shopper that i was more $ than the big franchise company)as to what the average price is, so i will go first and throw out what i charge
    R/R Toilet $55
    jet small 1 1/2"-2" $220
    Camera inspection/locate $125 if doone same time as rodding/$225 if done seperately.

I dont want to be the most expensive but I definately dont want to be the CHEEEPEST!
    wow. you are high for my area.
    But we have guys doing mains for $60 bucks.

Comment

how do you stay in business cleaning mains fo $60 ?

Comment

There is no AVERAGE price

On 3 of those you are HALF of what we charge

Comment

You are close to the same price we charge , I don't listen to price shopers , who knows if they are giving you a line of BS

Comment

I dont think you are out of line. If they say you cost more, then WTH do they hire you???

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              I dont think you are out of line. If they say you cost more, then WTH do they hire you???
              I did get the job, they said it was because i was local

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                R/R Toilet $55
                jet small 1 1/2"-2" $220

The notion that one company's pricing is supposed to be equal to another baffles me, as if she just moved here from a communist country.

As soon as someone says "but you're more expensive than...." The conversion ends real quick. Then call them. Goodbye. Click. I don't have the time or patience.

Comment

Your prices are pretty similar to what I get in my town. I don't really care what the other guys charge for their work, I have to charge based on my numbers. That said, I have learned over the years that the cheapest guy in town charges $80 for a main line, and the Roto Rooter charges $225. I thought Roto Rooters charged a lot more then that?

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                    The notion that one company's pricing is supposed to be equal to another baffles me, as if she just moved here from a communist country.

As soon as someone says "but you're more expensive than...." The conversion ends real quick. Then call them. Goodbye. Click. I don't have the time or patience.
                    I love hearing that I'm the most expensive!

It seems that I'm the guy that's the most expensive in my area. I'm booked up solid during the season. I've had clients that told me that they've had four quotes, and every one was higher than the last, and that I was the highest. One guy told me that he's not getting any more quotes (after four), because every time that he does the quotes go up by at least $500. I still got the job.

In the same breath, most have also told me that I was the only one that showed up for our appointment on time, that I was the only one that returned phone calls, was the only one that explained procedure, the proposed job, let them be part of the planning process, and actually sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

Some people will still pay for quality materials and a contractor that doesn't cut corners. I tell them what I'm going to do, how I'm going to do it, and what I'm going to install. Then I tell them to get everything in writing from all of the bidders.

But I also don't have a problem with declining a bid if the client is only looking for bottom line price. If I'm going to give them a two season warrantee, then the job is going to be installed properly. If the job is going to be installed properly, then it's going to cost this much. Some people have a hard time understanding that my price will still be less expensive over time with a lot fewer service calls, until they have to start paying for them.

Mick

Comment

i agree, i'm not the cheapest by any means. but when i'm on a job i'm doing it right. i don't want call backs.
                      i'd rather do 2-4 calls a day right and make more money. then charge 1/2 as much, run twice as many calls, than someone that pokes a whole in something to get the water running just so they can return 30 to 90 days latter to do it again to make up lost charges. or to tell them they have to replace sewer lines just so they can make up the lost charges as well.
                      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                        i agree, i'm not the cheapest by any means. but when i'm on a job i'm doing it right. i don't want call backs.
                        i'd rather do 2-4 calls a day right and make more money. then charge 1/2 as much, run twice as many calls, than someone that pokes a whole in something to get the water running just so they can return 30 to 90 days latter to do it again to make up lost charges. or to tell them they have to replace sewer lines just so they can make up the lost charges as well.
                        Most of the low ball price companies have lousy equipment and are under skilled feeling that being cheap means more calls. They don't figure in costs running a business and fly by the seat of their pants. Just do the math $60 -$100 buck a main does not make much money to pay over head and repairs. one or two bad months and their done for.

We don't do work for cheap. Because MR. Chepo think's he has skills. Business has nothing to do with skills. It has everyting to do with running a business.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

there is a main guy that is all over the place has 4-5 trucks on the road is supper busy. but i'm not sure he is making that much money. he does $99 drain cleaning with video inspection. unless you are looking for things to replace to make up the extra cash then your just spinning your wheels.

running a business is not about the numbers (how many can i do). it's about how profitable you are. working smarter and not harder is my moto.
                          Last edited by Jerad; 01-16-2010, 03:43 PM.
                          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                            there is a main guy that is all over the place has 4-5 trucks on the road is supper busy. but i'm not sure he is making that much money. he does $99 drain cleaning with video inspection. unless you are looking for things to replace to make up the extra cash then your just spinning your wheels.

running a business is not about the numbers (how many can i do). it's about how profitable you are. working smarter and not harder is my moto.
                            $99 bucks a pop with camera he's looking for more. Hard to pay for up keep and pay employee's ins/wages at $99
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

we charge 65 per hour 1 man 90 for 2 men if in city limits 45 service charge if outside city limits 65 up to 1/2 hour of driving time then we start charging in 15 minute increments for driving. service charge gets u a good morning we start our time when we get to the job. we charge a machine fee for each machine we use on a job we use electric eel machines so model s hand held is an extra 25 model ct and model n are 35 model c sectional is 45 ej1500 jetter is 65 general 3055 jetter is 85 we charge all our time in 15 minute increments we offer a one year warranty on all our work except drain cleaning and w/h elements and thermostats. but on drain cleaning if it stops again in 3 months i would do it for free as long as it is not wipes paper towels sanitary napkins or foriegn objects as far as camera fee i charge time and usually 25 or 30 dollars nobody wants to pay for a camera its more for our benefit than theirs i don't usually have call backs when i can check my work and being we are a small shop i don't have time for them too much work.when i had a big crew my guys did call backs for free unless it was material defects at least thats what i always told them i still paid them everbody messes up sometimes

Comment

Working...
                              X