X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• access

i would like to know how many people out there have to cut access holes in walls to get to cleanouts etc.?

what are you telling them about having to hire someone else to fix the drywall etc? it is like they want me to do majic. do you have them sign off saying that you are not liable? i never have, but was curious, if you make a mess drywall etc are you to clean it up? i have always asked for a trash can picked up what i could without being there forever.

i had one over Christmas that the homeowner knew where the cleanout was in the wall. sealed up. it was a 2 story house covered in snow so there was no getting to it without cutting the drywall out. she opted not to have it cleaned out. it was just a slow drainer and i got stiffed on the service call. she said here husband had the checkbook. and i'd get a check in the mail. i'm sending them to collections on tuesday. she didn't want her basement wall all messed up t.v. carpet etc. (this is very common on older homes.)

oh as for pulling the toilet it was 75 feet on the other side of the house upstairs. one thing i have noticed that there are more and more 2 inch vents for toilets. not sure the reason for this? my house has 2 inch vents as well.
    Last edited by Jerad; 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: access

was it not possible to pull the toilet for a sewer or remove the p trap if it was a sink ?

Comment

it was not the sink and maybe if i had my jetter all set up i would have tried it. she said that no matter were in the house they run water after a while it will very slowly backup.
      they had a floor drain at one time that someone filled with concrete the last ime they had this problem 5 yrs ago.

as for the toilet it looked looked like it ran accross the floor to the oposite wall then down somewere past the sealed floor drain then to the far 75 foot plus wall on the oposite side where the cleanout was.

Comment

You should carry some access covers. They are spring loaded, and can be painted over. They come in a variety of sizes.

But to answer your question, I tell them to call back the drywaller and tell them to fix it. Its against all logic to cover a cleanout!

Comment

as for the access cover sometimes you just don't think of that. the other day i had to trace a 20+ yr water line to a fridge that needed some work and the shut off was not under the sink or anywhere to be found. i asked them if they wanted me to start cutting drywall. they said they would do it. i told them to find it and call me back. it was 30 feet away in the celing on a copper tap. after a dozzen holes there glad to have found it. i just didn't want to be responible for the huge mess that it going to make. or for them to tell me that i had to patch them up or repaint the celing.

Comment

In older homes or commercial jobs where you're dealing with CI, this is where the Milwaukee 12V sub-sensor would come in handy.

I'm with Northern. I carry a few sizes of access panels and refer them to some contractors I work with if patching or painting is necessary.

-Chris

Comment

2" vent is code for a toilet. guess You're not a plumber
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

what tool means is a 2" vent covers code and actual venting nowdays. I could type forever but it is an advancement on what was thought to be needed in the past to the present for what was needed in vent pipe size. It makes it harder if you are used to going thru a 4" vent as the stack but it is the way it will be in the future of cleaning.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

now that i have a k-60 and and not a speedyrooter 90. i would like to go onto roofs. right now snow and steepness are preventing this. the only time in the past that i ever went on roofs for drains was for kitchen sinks using a supper vee in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Nope... just us lowly drain cleaners here !

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      what tool means is a 2" vent covers code and actual venting nowdays. I could type forever but it is an advancement on what was thought to be needed in the past to the present for what was needed in vent pipe size. It makes it harder if you are used to going thru a 4" vent as the stack but it is the way it will be in the future of cleaning.
                      Gonna' be worse than that. At least from where I have seen things. Now homeowners and GC's don't want to see the vents on the front roof at all.

So we're having to make sometimes 20'+ horizontal runs with 2+ turns. Often short turns.

Also only want 1 penetration so vents are often tied together. Add that to typical wet venting, larger bathroom footprints, the smaller main stack, and the disappearance of the stack behind the toilet and it all adds up to trouble going from the roof.

On the other hand, I asked years ago about the % of stoppages people encountered in relation to pipe material.

PVC & ABS only accounted for about 15% if I recall.

Better save up!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        up until 1957 or 59? we were required to have a 4'' vent off a toilet.

nice for roof top c/o's.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Still required to have 1 full size continuous stack in Chicago

Comment

Working...
                          X